CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does your freezer freeze?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    F.O.F with caravan stuff glued on

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by DnK View Post
    €1200 fitted for the modern replacement, ours is 11 years old. I know that fridges can be regassed but the place I went to said no chance of that so I'm over the proverbial barrel unless we could manage without until getting home April sometime. Its driving the missus mad not having the fridge never mind a freezer box so ive bitten the bullet.
    They don't regas them it is just a replacement cooling unit that comes complete and full of the amonia based fluid .
    Probably best at that price to replace the fridge as then no worries about other components.
    Thanks DnK thanked for this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Charlie View Post
    They don't regas them it is just a replacement cooling unit that comes complete and full of the amonia based fluid .
    Probably best at that price to replace the fridge as then no worries about other components.
    Trouble is most absorption fridges have the bulk of the refrigeration side made out of steel....
    Ammonia can be corrosive when compressed.... And when it has impurities dissolved in it....
    Let alone the condensation that occurs outside of the unit (and warmth from the actual running of the absorption cycle)

There is no mileage in trying to repair and recharge an ammonia system....

It's old technology that works after a fashion most of the time.... But....

There is a reason that efficient refrigeration revolves around compressor type units...
    It works and is tolerant of a wide range of temps.
    Thanks DnK thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Motorhome (aka The Nest)
    Hi gang,
    I have a typical 230v, 12v, Gas Electrolux Under counter Fridge with the standerd ‘Freezer compartment’ at the top, Does it Freeze ?,,,NO !.
    The very first thing I done was remove the door on this so say Freezer compartment as in my experience they is just a waste of space. But to my mind by doing this The whole fridge works BRILLIANTLY ‘As a Fridge’
    Certainly no complaints there,,,

FEFC9052-A24A-4EC5-84C6-FEBAD43ED470.jpg
    C22FC61C-00F2-4CED-80A7-79958D69199D.jpg
    Last edited by Nesting Zombie; 12-02-2018 at 19:47.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H592
    We have a Thetford 3 way fridge with a freezer compartment with a door. The only time the freezer has not “frozen” things is when we have been in locations with very high ambient temperatures. I’ve now fitted 2 computer fans on the external vent. Last September we experienced external temperatures in the mid ‘30s Celsius and the freezer worked fine on ehu with the fans switched on.

Pat

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner T660 Nexxo
    I have a Dometic three way fridge freezer with an internal freezer door, it keeps frozen food frozen and freezes fresh food, the only time it has started to defrost was when I left the vent covers on when the exterior ambient temperature had risen, removed the covers and the freezer section recovered.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Avantgarde 140
    I'm sure we've all stuck fresh food in freezer sections - it seems to work, right? But... I was always told that fridges with internal freezer sections inside were never ever intended to freeze food from fresh - well, not safely anyway - and are really only for maintaining already deep-frozen food. When separate 'deep freezers' first came out, the message that was drummed home was that it had to reach an ideal temperature of -18c to freeze food safely and quickly enough. The -18c was agreed as a compromise between safety and quality, because a lot of food tastes and looks better if it's frozen really quickly but obviously, different types of food take different lengths of time to freeze.

Well, as I said, I was told all this years and years ago and I'm sure the science boffins know their stuff but they've never met the over-enthusiastic little Dometic fridge in my van, which overnight, magically freezes my milk, my breakfast fruit, lettuces, tomatoes and every blimmin' pack of sausages I've ever put in there... and they're not even in the freezer section!
    Likes Looser cruiser liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar Campscout Revolution
    Our separate door freezer on our last van always worked well.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Elddis Accordo
    Quote Originally Posted by Minisorella View Post
    I'm sure we've all stuck fresh food in freezer sections - it seems to work, right? But... I was always told that fridges with internal freezer sections inside were never ever intended to freeze food from fresh - well, not safely anyway - and are really only for maintaining already deep-frozen food. When separate 'deep freezers' first came out, the message that was drummed home was that it had to reach an ideal temperature of -18c to freeze food safely and quickly enough. The -18c was agreed as a compromise between safety and quality, because a lot of food tastes and looks better if it's frozen really quickly but obviously, different types of food take different lengths of time to freeze.

Well, as I said, I was told all this years and years ago and I'm sure the science boffins know their stuff but they've never met the over-enthusiastic little Dometic fridge in my van, which overnight, magically freezes my milk, my breakfast fruit, lettuces, tomatoes and every blimmin' pack of sausages I've ever put in there... and they're not even in the freezer section!
    Blast Freezers are the right tool for the job. I used to work on a walk-in one at a turkey farm was -50°c when working properly. I think you would have to upgrade the solar though
    Likes Minisorella liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    If it's not freezing then it's broken ... simples.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    Yes, ours freezes items from fresh no problem
    Did I mention I`d Won In The £1000 Giveaway

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information