CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Does your freezer freeze?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    (and for the inverter haters, use a proper quality inverter and the overhead is minimal)
    What is your actual no-load inverter current?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    What is your actual no-load inverter current?
    Too low to register on the app, but it is speced by Victron at 6W no-load and 90% efficient on-load
    Fridge has been on constantly* since last October; Van been hooked up maybe 5% of the time, primarily to either have electric fan heater working when working inside or to charge the starter battery (which really needs replacing TBH);
    Fridge using very little power due to cold temperature but at the same time solar is providing very little daily charging due to combination of place of parking (directly north of 3-storey building), angle of sun and shortness of day.
    (Also using Leisure Battery for Power Tools, Cordless Tool Battery Charging and lights)

As we move into Summer, I expect the power consumption of Fridge** to rise for sure, but I will be harvesting significantly more power as well
    solarchart.png

*couple of days off while electrics relaid out
    ** Fridge is A++ rated and speced at 85kW/Annum consumption, which works out at 235W/Day or averaged at under 10W/Hour (well under 1Ah at 12.x V including Inverter overhead - Weaco CRX-50 is rated at 1.3Ah Average over day running at 12V)
    Last edited by wildebus; 13-02-2018 at 23:51.
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bentley Ochre
    It seems that it may just be me, as no one else ever comments when this is being discussed, but I find the noise that is inevitable with a compressor fridge to be a major disadvantage. I like to park in quiet places, and if the only sound to be heard is a pump whirring away it takes away from the tranquility.
    2CV

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one
    I have a Dometic three way AES fridge. Even in hot weather, with the outside temperature at 30 degrees, the freezer stays at -18. The Fridge section between 4 and 6. And it is nineteen years old.

Compressor fridges are cheaper, easier to install, require less maintenance and are probably more reliable.

But they cost more to run (the wear on a leisure battery costs more than the gas would, even if you get the power for free from a solar panel) and even with solar panels, b2b chargers and uprated batteries, people end up endlessly worrying about power and their battery SoC.

They are fine for people who don't do much wild camping. In fact, I'd recommend them for people who always use sites and hookup. But what is the name of this website?
    We were looking at panel vans yesterday and we discounted a Globecar due to it having a compressor fridge!
    We very early use a proper campsite and even rarer use a hook up.
    The salesman was trying to tell us to keep frozen ice in the ice box and turn it off at night!
    What a faf!

incidentally, I think we have been lucky as all of the three way we have owned have worked well when our van has been as usual back high! We do also level, but often it can still be a little back high!
    Last edited by grath; 14-02-2018 at 06:29.
    Tramping the Dream, Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine at the Rainbow end!

Member Number
    I have a Dometic three way AES fridge. Even in hot weather, with the outside temperature at 30 degrees, the freezer stays at -18. The Fridge section between 4 and 6. And it is nineteen years old.

Compressor fridges are cheaper, easier to install, require less maintenance and are probably more reliable.

But they cost more to run (the wear on a leisure battery costs more than the gas would, even if you get the power for free from a solar panel) and even with solar panels, b2b chargers and uprated batteries, people end up endlessly worrying about power and their battery SoC.

They are fine for people who don't do much wild camping. In fact, I'd recommend them for people who always use sites and hookup. But what is the name of this website?
    We spend most of our time wild camping...
    Wouldn't be without our Waeco compressor coolbox...
    Mind all our cooking is electric too from solar/split charge.
    Not had a problem I even leave the Waeco on all the time as the, solar keeps the batteries topped up pretty much all year... If we have a longer spell without using the van I just stick the mains, charger on now and again to top things up...
    I really couldn't be bothered with a gas fridge anymore.
    Likes mark61, wildebus liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T4 Villa XL High Top
    Quote Originally Posted by iampatman View Post
    We have a Thetford 3 way fridge with a freezer compartment with a door. The only time the freezer has not “frozen” things is when we have been in locations with very high ambient temperatures. I’ve now fitted 2 computer fans on the external vent. Last September we experienced external temperatures in the mid ‘30s Celsius and the freezer worked fine on ehu with the fans switched on.

Pat
    Like yours Pat, when we had Percy the Lunar the freezer was excellent & the fridge worked on inclines of way more than the publicised 6 decrees.
    =^..^=

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer C544
    When its working our Thetford 3 way has always worked very well. The freezer compartment can freeze ice cubes in the (British) summer and can freeze the main compartment if set too cold. It also works well on the sort of incline that we would be happy to sleep on. Its been pretty unreliable though. The upside is that I am well practiced in trouble shooting and removing it!

Despite the unreliability we will be sticking with the thing for the forseeable future :-)

Keith

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    Too low to register on the app, but it is speced by Victron at 6W no-load and 90% efficient on-load
    That's the point. I've seen the specs. I'd like to know the real-world actual figures are. Could you test it with a multimeter? I'm sure you'd like to know as well

Member Number
    Motorhome
    citroen relay
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesting Zombie View Post
    Hi gang,
    I have a typical 230v, 12v, Gas Electrolux Under counter Fridge with the standerd ‘Freezer compartment’ at the top, Does it Freeze ?,,,NO !.
    The very first thing I done was remove the door on this so say Freezer compartment as in my experience they is just a waste of space. But to my mind by doing this The whole fridge works BRILLIANTLY ‘As a Fridge’
    Certainly no complaints there,,,

Attachment 61153
    Attachment 61154
    I done the same with my compressor fridge and like your works fine .We never use the freezer bit anyhow .
    Likes Nesting Zombie liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    citroen relay
    Quote Originally Posted by mistericeman View Post
    We spend most of our time wild camping...
    Wouldn't be without our Waeco compressor coolbox...
    Mind all our cooking is electric too from solar/split charge.
    Not had a problem I even leave the Waeco on all the time as the, solar keeps the batteries topped up pretty much all year... If we have a longer spell without using the van I just stick the mains, charger on now and again to top things up...
    I really couldn't be bothered with a gas fridge anymore.
    Like you we have used a Waeco 110ltr compressor fridge for four year and never had a problem with power and only used campsite on very odd times .

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information