Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does your freezer freeze?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Frankie i7000 FD-VS

Does your freezer freeze?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Here's an interesting situation.

My fridge freezer has decided to corrode and dump all of its coolant while were traveling in Spain. I've ordered a replacement as I'm told that it can't be repaired - Ouch serious money!. And I've waited 2 1/2 weeks so far and not yet received. Manyana!

The thing is though I'm reading the manual and realise the modern replacement RM8501 has a removable freezer box to increase the fridge size if required. BUT then I noticed this note.

"The freezer compartment is suitable for making ice cubes and for short-term storage of frozen food. It is not suitable as a means of freezing foods.

When ambient temperatures are lower than +10C and the refrigerator is exposed to these temperatures for extended periods of time, an even regulation of freezer temperature cannot be guaranteed for system related reasons. This can cause the temperature in the freezer to rise and the stored goods to melt".

So it's not a freezer that can freeze foods? And in some conditions it won't keep food frozen? *** am I paying all this money for basically a fridge with an unstable freezer that can't freeze food!
    Were not here a long time so lets make it a good time

Member Number
    Motorhome
    F.O.F with caravan stuff glued on
    Yep sounds about right , we have had several fridges and all have been rubbish except for the one in the rv !
    Don't want to upset you but the cooling unit can be replaced on the fridges as we had one done as replacement fridge was 1500 it was repaired for 500 it worked well afterwards.

On another van our Thetford fridge often used to defrost itself then heat the food up !

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Does the "Freezer" have it's own door to the outside, or do you open the Fridge Door to access it?
    If the latter, it is not a Fridge-Freezer, its a Fridge with a Freezer section as far as I am aware, just as that description says.
    My Fridge is like that and has a similar kind of 'warning'
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one
    Just been talking to Mrs G and as I thought, ours will freeze things and she says she often does!
    The freezer does have a separate door!
    Tramping the Dream, Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine at the Rainbow end!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Replacement is 1500! Repair was 500!!

Geeze, my Fridge (with icebox ) was 170 brand new and been running non-stop in the Camper since I bought it last October.
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit

Member Number
    The joys of absorption cycle refrigeration....
    It was all the rage 30/40 years back...

Like everything time AND technology moves on... Compressor fridges with more modern refrigerant are where its at now.
    Stable and controllable refrigeration in a greater extreme of environmental conditions...

Ever wonder why absorption cycle isn't used in more applications?? (the component parts of a absorbtion fridge are cheaper and easier to make)
    Because it just isn't very good at what it does Barring in fairly tight parameters.
    Likes mark61 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Sprinter
    Can use the whole fridge as a freezer if I turn it up full.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Frankie i7000 FD-VS
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    Does the "Freezer" have it's own door to the outside, or do you open the Fridge Door to access it?
    If the latter, it is not a Fridge-Freezer, its a Fridge with a Freezer section as far as I am aware, just as that description says.
    My Fridge is like that and has a similar kind of 'warning'
    Fridge with a freezer section.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Frankie i7000 FD-VS
    Quote Originally Posted by grath View Post
    Just been talking to Mrs G and as I thought, ours will freeze things and she says she often does!
    The freezer does have a separate door!
    The seperate door / unit probably makes a difference.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Frankie i7000 FD-VS
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Charlie View Post
    Yep sounds about right , we have had several fridges and all have been rubbish except for the one in the rv !
    Don't want to upset you but the cooling unit can be replaced on the fridges as we had one done as replacement fridge was 1500 it was repaired for 500 it worked well afterwards.

On another van our Thetford fridge often used to defrost itself then heat the food up !
    1200 fitted for the modern replacement, ours is 11 years old. I know that fridges can be regassed but the place I went to said no chance of that so I'm over the proverbial barrel unless we could manage without until getting home April sometime. Its driving the missus mad not having the fridge never mind a freezer box so ive bitten the bullet.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information