JohnClimber is online now Full Member
    Name: John
    Spouse: Mrs Climber & dog: Archie

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Camper Van Beethoven

12v fridge freezers....

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Are the modern 12v fridges as good as a fully working old school 3 way Electrolux RM212 caravan fridge (which mine isn't and I've given up on it)?

200w of solar and 2 batteries, will they happly run say a Webasto Cruise Elegance 85 Litre 12/24v Caravan Campervan Motorhome Fridge?

I bow to your experiences and help
    Wild Camp A Month 2018.... Challenge yourself
    Take a look in Gatherings section for more info

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto sleeper nuevo
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnClimber View Post
    Are the modern 12v fridges as good as a fully working old school 3 way Electrolux RM212 caravan fridge (which mine isn't and I've given up on it)?

200w of solar and 2 batteries, will they happly run say a Webasto Cruise Elegance 85 Litre 12/24v Caravan Campervan Motorhome Fridge?

. Charlie will come along soon

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Merc 309D Westfalia James Cook
    I've got the smaller 45 litre Webasto and have been pleasantly surprised at how cold it gets, the little freezer box freezes ice cubes and an additional cooler block.
    I leave it on all the time now, even when I'm not using the campervan as the solar panel is producing enough power to keep the 2 x 100aH batteries up to charge. Overnight they drop to about 12.8V, during bright sunlight they are fully charging at 13.8V.
    I added some additional insulation (silvered foam) to the exterior of the fridge, so that may help as well.
    Got home yesterday after a quick run down to Coffs Harbour (in Australia), temps in mid thirties Celsius and the fridge was fine, whereas the cab AC was struggling with the high humidity and was icing up.
    I used to be an advocate of the RM series of Electrolux fridges, but in the 70 odd years since they were introduced the technology of the 12V compressor and solar panels has leapt ahead, you don't need to have a 3 way fridge now to go long periods of being on the one site as long as you have solar panels.
    I don't have any gas appliances - just diesel and 12V - which is great as you don't lose space to a gas locker or underslung tank - is far cheaper as any competent person can fit diesel appliances and they don't need certifying annually or ten years on LPG tanks.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse (defined as a liberal gift) from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, followed always by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years." - attributed to Alexander Fraser Tytler, (October 15, 1747 - January 5, 1813) a Scottish-born British lawyer and writer.
    Likes mistericeman, JohnClimber liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    don't need certifying annually or ten years on LPG tanks.
    In the UK, gas tanks fitted to vehicles never need re-certifying. Perhaps they should, but they don't.
    Likes big tom liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnClimber View Post

I replaced a 3 way fridge with a Shoreline 12v compressor fridge on my Hymer s650 (couple of vans ago)...150watt solar and 2 x 110 amp LB's...worked great, and the new fridge was very quiet.

Allen
    Likes JohnClimber liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    citroen relay
    Iíve ran a Waeco compressor fridge freezer 110ltr for four years now with no bother at all mind I do have three 125amp batteries and 400watts of solar.

Member Number
    Same here

We have a cfx 40...
    Leave it running all the time loaded ready to go.. 3 x 100ah leisure batteries charged via a durite VSR and 2 x 100w solar panels on the roof.
    Top the batteries up now and again in winter with a, 7 stage charger if we have a longer period between escapes.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Adria Twin - added; solar, LED lights, Gas It
    We hired a MH in Western Australia a couple of years ago. The electric fridge was big enough for four of us including beer and wine. The battery was no bigger than 100ah, there was no solar panel, we did not drive everyday and only used EHU (because we wanted the air conditioning on) a couple of times. The fridge worked well.

Just finished nearly four weeks in New Zealand in a van with electric fridge, decent size leisure battery, a circa 100w solar panel and never used EHU. The fridge worked well including the freezer compartment.

Our van at home has a 3 way fridge but I would definitely have an electric one based on our experience.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    In my experience having had vans and caravans (3way) a lot seems dependent on the installation no rhyme nor reason sometimes why one works very well and others like a chocolate fireguard.

I suspect manufactuers accommodate a fridge which is totally different to installing any appliance so that it works at optimum efficiency

Comparing compressor fridges with absorption fridges is a little like comparing a premiership football team to a pub side ...both may play a version of football but one more accomplished than the other.

2cv 's observation of irritating compressor noise aside ( one I hadn't thought of) compressor fridges tend to use more "complex" gasses that are more efficient have a better temperature glide and less reliant on ambient temperatures to offer competent performance.

IMHO if you have the electrics to add the beef required, a compressor fridge is far superior and the premiership team in fridge world and a far better bet than the absorption types which are not as efficient and cost an inproportionate amount of money to put right when they go wrong.

Channa

JohnClimber is online now Full Member
    Name: John
    Spouse: Mrs Climber & dog: Archie

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Camper Van Beethoven
    Thanks all.

I've bit the bullet and ordered a new 12v fridge.

I bought it from a very helpful Tom at JPC Direct - Boat Heaters, Bow Thrusters and Boat Fridges and if you register to his site you get a welcome 10% new customer discount.
    Plus his price was the lowest to start with so £50 in my pocket.

Anyone after an Elecrolux RM212 for spares or repairs? £50 collected
    Wild Camp A Month 2018.... Challenge yourself
    Take a look in Gatherings section for more info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information