CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Invertor or 12V charger

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit View Post
    Charge my bike batteries using a 150Watt modified sine inverter with no problems and not running the engine. Have solar panels so batteries topped up constantly. Good idea to charge when moving.
    Same here, however my 150 watt inverter is not powerful enough to charge two at a time.
    Likes shortcircuit liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner 690g Viseo
    Wow

Thanks for all your replies, it really shows what a vital resource this forum can be to new members, I fear over the next few weeks I'll be back with more queries.

I'm going to try one of the smaller invertors and see how I get on, I'll be keeping an eye on draining my leisure batteries but for 22 its worth a try.

Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    I will have to do something for Caz's electric bike. I was hoping it was the same input as my mobility scooter as I got a 12v charger for but its different

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by QFour View Post
    If only life were that simple. Electric bike batteries are normally 36v and about 10A charging them requires 40+ Volts at 2A which is why the 12v battery charger is not cheap as its steeping up the voltage. We have a similar problem and I have looked at the alternatives. Think the best one is to use the inverter when we are on the move, that way you don't get a drain on your batteries or make sure they get charged when we are on electric hookup. We managed with a couple of 85A leisure batteries but they did take a bit of a hit trying to charge up bike batteries using an inverter. The 150W panel on the roof eventually got them back up to full charge but it took a couple of days.
    O i see as i did not read proper about bike charging to 36/40 volts,then a inverter is the simple way to go.
    On that note the law as far as i know has been brought into line with mainland as regarding the use of lecy bikes here,so ok to use here again.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    I was looking at electric bike kits and seems to be a 250W max power limit to be road legal even though most kits have 1000W motors.
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit

Member Number
    Motorhome
    citroen relay

Inverter

I bought one of theses a couple of years ago to charge my elec bike and it works fine .I do have 400watts of solar and 375amps of batteries so charging bike battery is not a prob.CE76ED5C-B80A-4F45-8B43-4D9CA0284A1B.jpgE8686BBF-E5F0-46D4-BDE9-75F9D3217270.jpg

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco daily
    I've used these for anything that needs a higher voltage, there are losses but not as high as converting 12 volts dc to 240 volts ac back down to 36 volts dc! DC-DC Converter 10/12/15/20A 150/250/300/400/1200W Step up Step down Buck Boost | eBay

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information