CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Invertor or 12V charger

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner 690g Viseo

Invertor or 12V charger

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    We have bought ourselves 2 E-Bikes with Bosch motors and batteries (and very pleased with them we are too), currently we charge them at home but want to charge them in the MH, I've looked at the Bosch 12V chargers but at nearly 100 each they seem a little steep so I wondered if I would be better buying myself an invertor.

Can anyone offer any pros and cons advice or maybe suggest a specific invertor or maybe someone has found a more sensibly priced charger?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    At 100 a pop for a 12V charger, I would be inclined to think on the same lines of using an inverter. (I don't go with this theory of spending loads of money on 12V versions of devices)

Lots of inverters around. Do you have any other use for an inverter? What is the power rating of the mains chargers for the bikes? I would imagine very low and if this is the only use of the inverter a very small basic one will do the job (bearing in mind a fairly powerful 12V 20A Battery Charger will be under 300W)
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Motorhome (aka The Nest)
    Hi ya,
    How long does the batteries currently take to charge from your Home Mains supply ?.
    Will you drive or Run your vehicle for that length of time to achieve the same result?.

Unless you have got a Big Battery bank with spare capacity to do the job making Engine running Un necessary !.

wakk44 is offline Full member
    Name: Steve
    Spouse: memsahib

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B644
    I've got a 1500w inverter that will charge both of the bike batteries simultaneously.However if the bike batteries are flat it takes several hours to recharge them which means taking a significant chunk out of the leisure batteries.I do have a 300A/H leisure battery bank and 180w of solar available but only put the batteries on charge during the daytime when the solar panels are producing a meaningful current as I don't want to run down the leisure batteries too much.

Even if you get the Bosch 12v chargers it's still going to take some significant current from the leisure batteries so I would be more concerned in having a decent leisure battery capacity and the ability to recharge them rather than whether to use an inverter or 12v charger.
    Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.
    Likes Clunegapyears liked this post

Member Number
    Charge my bike batteries using a 150Watt modified sine inverter with no problems and not running the engine. Have solar panels so batteries topped up constantly. Good idea to charge when moving.
    Likes winks, rockape liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner 690g Viseo
    We don't really see any other need for an invertor though don't like to say never.

Bosch quote the mains charger as having a 4.5 hour charge time and max 4 amp so I guess from what your saying I only need a fairly basic invertor, I'm wondering if anything will come up in the Maplin sale as long as I don't damage the batteries.
    Likes shortcircuit liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Max 4A - so call it 8A if charging two bikes at same time ... 10A capacity for a bit of tolerance .... 150W Inverter would do the trick - 30 or so?

Member Number
    I've bought one of these as they were on offer. Duracell 175W Power Inverter with Dual AC and USB Sockets PS19.99 - Free Delivery | MyMemory not used it yet. I only got mine to charge a laptop and maybe shaver / toothbrush. Will be well up for that

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyuk View Post
    I've bought one of these as they were on offer. Duracell 175W Power Inverter with Dual AC and USB Sockets PS19.99 - Free Delivery | MyMemory not used it yet. I only got mine to charge a laptop and maybe shaver / toothbrush. Will be well up for that
    There are a lot of posts on this forum saying that an Electric Toothbrush MUST have a Pure Sine Wave Inverter or it will be damaged significantly. Just a heads-up on your "maybe" useage....
    Thanks speedyuk thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Rapido 9048DF
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard M View Post
    We don't really see any other need for an invertor though don't like to say never.

Bosch quote the mains charger as having a 4.5 hour charge time and max 4 amp so I guess from what your saying I only need a fairly basic invertor, I'm wondering if anything will come up in the Maplin sale as long as I don't damage the batteries.
    Can you clarify that the 4 amps is on the AC side? Or is it on the 12 volt DC side? If you give the AC amps/ wattage and the DC amps / wattage it will make it easier to make suggestions without assumptions.
    HTML Code:
    Motorhoming with cats and wife - all equally mad!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information