CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water water everywhere

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Fiat Bessacarr

Water water everywhere

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I have just come back from my first ever excursion, where I found my water pump was very noisy, I switched it off at 3 am to get some sleep. Also when I arrived home and looked in the back, it appears that water had been leaking. I had my own private paddling pool, something I didn't anticipate or account for😞. I haven't the foggiest where it was coming from. I'm new to motorhoming, but crave the freedom, i have a bessicar on a fiet ducato base. My first adventure, was a learning curb, trial and error but isn't that the best way to learn ???.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Tribute 715
    If you bought your MH from a dealer take it back and let them sort it and dry your MH out thoroughly. If it was a private buy and your hands on put some more water in the tank and run the pump again whilst tracing the pipes. There are basically 2 types of pumping system, one runs off switches in your taps and the other pressurises your water system, it sounds like you have the second one that has a leaking pipe and when the pressure dropped you pump kicked back in to build up the pressure.
    Thanks Bessiebo thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail tribute 670
    Think your post needs moving to different section! We are still learning with ours! Don't leave the pump on overnight though? Hopefully someone with more knowledge will find your post and give some advice! It's a good way to learn but only if you know what caused it!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance 590RL
    Your pump shouldn't make any noise unless you're running a tap, loo flush etc, it was a sure fire way of letting you know there was a leak, at least you know for next time, hope you get sorted.
    WestRidingofYorks
    Likes FringeDweller liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    2003 Autocruise Starblazer.
    Quote Originally Posted by REC View Post
    Think your post needs moving to different section! We are still learning with ours! Don't leave the pump on overnight though? Hopefully someone with more knowledge will find your post and give some advice! It's a good way to learn but only if you know what caused it!
    Don't claim to have more knowledge but think Herman is right, my pump kept re-pressurising the system and found minor leak on the pump itself, few turns off the screwdriver on jubilee clips and it was sorted.
    Good luck tracing the leak!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer T 578
    Quote Originally Posted by REC View Post
    Don't leave the pump on overnight though? Hopefully someone with more knowledge will find your post and give some advice! It's a good way to learn but only if you know what caused it!
    I never leave my water pump isolating switch on at night nor when not in the motorhome. The fact that your pump was making a noise was a good warning that something was wrong.

Motorhomes normally have a water pump isolating switch. As another poster wrote there a two ways the pump comes on, due to opening a tap thus reducing pressure or from switches on all taps.

The pressure type will have an adjusting device as atmospheric pressure change due to weather or height can require adjustment. Your leak was one reason for the pump coming on another is for the one-way value close to the pump failing.

Unfortunately, my new Hymer has a wiring fault associated with the Thetford toilet. When used at night (with the pump isolating switch off) the pump wont work. I don't know if this is due to the inexperienced staff employed at Lowdhams or a Hymer problem.

[At this place when typing, something went wrong. My text disappeared, but did not then appear on the forum. I thought it lost.]

It is good practice to have the pump isolating switch off at night for two reasons. Any leak could cause the pump to cause a lot of water damage, rather than a slight dribble. But more importantly, if cold weather caused the Truma anti-frost dump valve to open, then one could find ALL water lost and a burnt-out pump The older style of dump valve could be held closed by a peg, but the current style can't be fixed with a peg!

Having lost all my hot water one morning, the peg was in regular use while occupied. I was pleased to see a posting on this forum with a solution, complete with a photograph. However, I monitor the temperature inside my Hymer while at home with a remote sensor and I get the impression that the current dump valve does not open at the higher temperature of the former.

My first motorhome had a SOG unit fitted during manufacture. It's wiring switched on the pump when flushed at night with the pumps isolating switch off. Just as I expected.

I asked Lowdhams to install a SOG unit prior to delivery, but they used the wrong type of SOG and drilled a hole in the emptying cap. They should have used the correct SOG unit, which replaces the Thetford's pressure release valve. It took months for them to acknowledge their error and install the correct SOG. As Lowdhams made a few other mistakes prior to delivery, I naturally thought that they has messed up the wiring.
    Last edited by Landyman130; 13-03-2018 at 21:15. Reason: see [text] above

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota
    I wouldn't expect the toilet to flush if the pump is switched off ...
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk

Member Number
    Motorhome
    F.O.F with caravan stuff glued on
    Quote Originally Posted by Landyman130 View Post
    I never leave my water pump isolating switch on at night nor when not in the motorhome. The fact that it your pump was making a noise was a good warning that something was wrong.

Motorhomes normally have a water pump isolating switch. As another poster wrote there a two ways the pump comes on, due to opening a tap thus reducing pressure or from switches on all taps.

The pressure type will have an adjusting device as atmospheric pressure change due to weather or height can require adjustment. Your leak was one reason for the pump coming on another is for the one-way value close to the pump failing.

Unfortunately, my new Hymer has a wiring fault associated with the Thetford toilet. When used at night (with the pump isolating switch off) the pump wont work. I don't know if this is due to the inexperienced staff employed at Lowdhams or a Hymer problem.
    If your main pump isolating switch is off then your toilet flush won't work unless you have a separate toilet tank flush with it's own pump as some British vans have ,yours being a German van this is very unlikely as the flush water will come from the main water tank.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto sleeper nuevo
    I had a similar problem it was a split tap tail on the hot water tap

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Fiat Bessacarr

Thank you all for your time in replying, I will be taking it back tomorrow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information