CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: So got our van back with a nice new engine in her...

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkshireCPLE View Post
    Ours is a 140 never thrashed it but that's not to say that the previous keepers didn't, they might of abused it from day one. So when it died when the chain snapped my thoughts were stick a recon in from VEGE which should be as good as a new engine, treat it well and we'll know it from the start. Although i was hoping for it to run for more than 2 weeks..

The engine isn't at fault here just the fuelling. So if we put a new pump on, then surely it should see us for years to come..
    This is our only motor at the moment which is a pain in the rear, typically it's all going wrong as the Mrs is just starting back at work after the big C and we are using it to live in all week while she's at work instead of travelling. So the van does even less mileage now. Before while she was In recovery from chemo etc we were all over the place in it... 10k miles in the first year.

So i think after sorting this i will keep it as all the work will of been done and we should be able to have years of trouble free motorhoming But i do have that trust issue with it, which i am sure will fade over time of use.
    Short jurneys and long layups along with the carfull never over 45mph brigade will kill engines,there ment to work and a good fast push cleans the oil and also stops bore glass,dont pussy foot a engine,do service it and change oil often esp if left standing or short jurneys.
    Only dirty people wash

yorkshireCPLE is online now Full Member
    Name: Carl
    Spouse: Helen, the better half...

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson Welcome 28
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    Short jurneys and long layups along with the carfull never over 45mph brigade will kill engines,there ment to work and a good fast push cleans the oil and also stops bore glass,dont pussy foot a engine,do service it and change oil often esp if left standing or short jurneys.
    Agree with you there. With the van i never really give it a lot of foot. I do sit at 70 on motorways but that's not stressing the motor at all and occasionally i will boot it to clean it out if you know what i mean. but since i don't really drive it hard i have found that i am having hastle. When i had motors when i was younger i used to thrash them all over and never had a bit of trouble with them. But on saying that, you used to repair them with a hammer and spanners in those days, not plug them into a computer to see whats wrong, also you used to actually repair them not just replace parts unless there was no choice.. It seems to be the other way round now.

You don't go into many garages nowadays and see an engine stripped down on the bench. you just see motors with empty engine bays waiting for the new lumps to go in.. Even down to a seized calliper, "oh it needs a new calliper" not we've stripped and cleaned the calliper. Maybe it's cheaper to do things this way now..

Still at least we have engines though, god knows what it will be like when we don't..
    Likes trevskoda, time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    It is the case now that labour is more expensive than parts - so sticking on a new Caliper in your example will almost always be cheaper than rebuilding a old one.
    When I did the rear calipers on my VW T4, the price difference between a rebuild kit and a brand new (not refurb) replacement was around 20 - that would be around 10 minutes at dealer labour charges!
    Can't really get away from the "throw away" mentality with that price differential.

Same is true everywhere I think though. When I was a Service Engineer, I used to repair electronics on customers sites down to component level, diagnosing and replacing individual chips, caps and resistors with my soldering gun out. Nowadays it is all board replacement at the very most and often just whole-unit swapouts.

I am fortunate that a local garage to me is 'old-skool' and have the tools and the knowledge to do full strip-down repairs on engines that main dealer service bays would say were irrepairable. Still have to pay around 50/Hr or so of course.
    When I bought myself a new (to me) van to convert, I deliberately looked for one as basic and simple as possible as less to go round, especially around the Emissions side - so very basic ECU, no DPF, no 'Ad-blue' type stuff. No Air-con and not even got electric windows. Only 'advanced' features are Power Steering and ABS (and ABD I think?)
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit
    Likes trevskoda, time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika EcoVip 712
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    When I bought myself a new (to me) van to convert, I deliberately looked for one as basic and simple as possible as less to go round, especially around the Emissions side - so very basic ECU, no DPF, no 'Ad-blue' type stuff. No Air-con and not even got electric windows. Only 'advanced' features are Power Steering and ABS (and ABD I think?)
    You mean you haven't got a button that goes PING when you press it .. .. Thought everyone had one of those. God knows what it does but it makes a really nice PING sound when you press it
    Likes wildebus, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    The Ford 2.2 and 2.0 litre Diesels are used by Citroen and Peugeot in their vans. It was a joint venture between the three of them. I have a Transit 2.2 that as done over 160,000 miles and touch wood is still pulling well, uses very little oil and starts whatever the weather.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson Welcome 28

Update

Just got the van back today. Sweet as a baby. It needed the new injector, new fuel pump and new filter and housing. So now it's had all the above and the new engine, so it should be good for 100k easily now (yes i know it's a Transit) but it's as good as a new one now.

Anyway on a good point the garage has sent the pump away to have it tested as they agree that in no way should it of packed in at this mileage. Then when we find the reason we will if possible go to Ford about it and see if they could dip there hand in there pocket.

Luckily the garage is only asking for the price of the parts at cost and not adding any labour onto the bill. Plus they haven't charged for one of the two injectors as they have said they could of got dirt or damaged by removal or refit. So i thought that was fair.

So all in all we're fairly happy now as we can get out again, and just hoping that we don't need to see the garage again for quite sometime...

We're wanting to go to Holy Head over the bank holiday so fingers crossed it all goes well.. Hope to park up near the lighthouse and go for a few walks around there. Anyone been? Is it good to stop over at for a night?

Cheers Carl & Hels..

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Thats what i call good old service,hard to find these days as most are dick turpins.
    I would be inclined to post there biz here to help for there good work.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes yorkshireCPLE liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson Welcome 28
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    Thats what i call good old service,hard to find these days as most are dick turpins.
    I would be inclined to post there biz here to help for there good work.
    Yeah i'm quite impressed with them. I will ask them first to make sure they don't mind me posting there company name. They do all my MOT's too as they have a big enough ramp I think it takes 7.5t. Plus the fact they loaned me a car which is good of them.

They are always so busy though, so sometimes it can take a while before they get you sorted as i have just found out....
    Thanks yorkslass thanked for this post

Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    It gives you a bi more confidence I think when you get service like that, its the type of place I would use. Had a similar one in Buxton when I was running older cars but now I am lease its all done by dealers in price. I agree to post them up, a recommendation is worth a lot

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabsim View Post
    It gives you a bi more confidence I think when you get service like that, its the type of place I would use. Had a similar one in Buxton when I was running older cars but now I am lease its all done by dealers in price. I agree to post them up, a recommendation is worth a lot
    Decent garages are very few and far between.... (why I end up doing most of stuff on my own)
    Mind I still use Stella at Dove for MOTs on the landrovers....

However I'm not looking forward to pulling the gearbox on the Jumbo.
    Likes Nabsim liked this post

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information