CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So got our van back with a nice new engine in her...

yorkshireCPLE is offline Full Member
    Name: Carl
    Spouse: Helen, the better half...

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson Welcome 28

So got our van back with a nice new engine in her...

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Van came back 2 weeks ago to the day yesterday with a nice new engine. Including 1 new injector and advised that it will be needing another injector for number 4 as it wasn't giving a good reading but they had seen worse and it should be fine. This is after the old engine with only 35000ish miles decided to snap its timing chain while starting it up.

The new one purred like a kitten and pulled like a train. But as i told the garage, it wont cruise at 50mph as it coughs and judders, but they said that it would be the number 4 injector that they advised me about. Seemed like a reasonable reason as it felt like it was a fuel issue, and that they will put a new one in when it comes in for it's service. I also explained that i have had to put approx. 2.5 litres of oil in her and top up the water.

Anyway we booked it in for it's service for this coming Thursday as it will of done just over 500 miles by then.
    BUT Monday morning we were wilding near Harrogate, woke up in the morning started the van to warm a little before we drive off and KAPUT!!!! Engine cut out after a minute of running and wont start again...

So Back onto the recovery and back onto the truck! Got back to the garage a few hours later to find that there is no fuel pressure. So we are now hoping that the pump hasn't quit and it's just a connection that's come loose. Which ever it is we hope it's a warranty job and not going to cost us more money as the pots run dry now!

Not what you want after just shedding out nearly 3500 for new engine fitting..

So i am wondering what your thoughts are.

1 Can a snapped chain damage injectors??
    2 Can it damage a fuel pump on a Transit 2.4 tdci??

My thoughts are no on both but I'm not a mechanic...

I will say thank you to anyone that replies now as I'm in and out so wont get chance to reply to all. So thanks in advance..

Carl.
    Last edited by yorkshireCPLE; 13-03-2018 at 11:38. Reason: 35000 not 3500 miles sorry..

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleeper suffolk/ Mercedes sprinter b
    I am with you on no on both counts,especially as your old engine was running properly until the chain snapped,and only low mileage.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto sleeper nuevo
    ,a broken chain what a disaster . hope it all ends we'll.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Dought any damage to injectors unless a valve head broke of in the cylinder,nor should the pump give trouble,however teething problems do happen after a refit and some adjustments and tightining up may be required.
    Id say the fitted a replacement lump with its own pump injectors rather than swap over bits from your eng.
    If this was a used unit they fitted then its well over priced,engine from scrap/damaged doner should be around 500 to 1500 depending on age,anouther 1000 to fit would be about right for a garage to do.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

Just hope

It all gets sorted PROPERLY and without undue cost

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    really bad luck to have a engine need replacing after 3,500 Miles (not 35,000 Miles? even then still really bad luck) and to have a new one give problems so soon - icing on the cake

Fingers crossed for you it is something really simple and silly and won't cost to fix!
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit

Member Number
    Motorhome
    F.O.F with caravan stuff glued on
    Not really sure what age van it is but I wouldn't be spending that kind of money on anything over 5 or 6 years old , I think I would have prayed for an accidental fire
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson Welcome 28
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    Dought any damage to injectors unless a valve head broke of in the cylinder,nor should the pump give trouble,however teething problems do happen after a refit and some adjustments and tightining up may be required.
    Id say the fitted a replacement lump with its own pump injectors rather than swap over bits from your eng.
    If this was a used unit they fitted then its well over priced,engine from scrap/damaged doner should be around 500 to 1500 depending on age,anouther 1000 to fit would be about right for a garage to do.
    It was a Recon engine. Not a used out of a scrap van. So it came as a block and all my own parts went back onto it..
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson Welcome 28
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Charlie View Post
    Not really sure what age van it is but I wouldn't be spending that kind of money on anything over 5 or 6 years old , I think I would have prayed for an accidental fire
    LOL Yeah they don't nick them when you could do with it gone.. But still, it's valued at around 26k so got to repair the damn thing or it aint worth half that..
    Likes Cheerful Charlie, helen262, sasquatch liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson Welcome 28
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    really bad luck to have a engine need replacing after 3,500 Miles (not 35,000 Miles? even then still really bad luck) and to have a new one give problems so soon - icing on the cake

Fingers crossed for you it is something really simple and silly and won't cost to fix!
    Sorry, i meant to put another 0 there. 35000 not 3500 but even that's no mileage..

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information