CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Faulty Bottle?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Fazerloz View Post
    Can I ask why you use butane against propane which will work to -40c which is far more suitable for winter.
    This is my first winter in the UK as I usually go somewhere warmer,I was meant to have sold the MH at the start of winter but things have conspired against me,which means I've just stuck with it.
    668,the neighbour of the beast.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mercedes 306D
    My 206 used camping gaz. I had the same problem twice with new, full bottles in warm weather. The first time I didn't use the gas until I was about 50 miles from where I bought it - I just had to exchange it for another bottle at the full replacement price. From then on, I always checked a new bottle where I bought it, and a good job too as 12 months later I got another dud. It's quite a common problem, at least with Camping Gaz. Always check your new bottle.
    Likes Asterix liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB
    I've had a propane bottle which was 'empty', on removing from van it still contained about 25% liquid, my best guess was that somehow it had (at least partially) been filled with water.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    No not too cold,I've had it working below freezing and it's currently around 3-4 deg c. Bit of a mystery really.....
    Butane boils at -1c but remember that the liquid in the bottle will be colder than the air around it becasue of the heat used to turn to gas. It could well be 4 or 5 degrees colder inside the bottle. So my money is on it being too cold. I didn't think anyone still used butane. Why?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    When you are in the regions of temperatures we have recently experienced butane will be problematic.

Boiling points, freezing points etc are benchmarked against standard atmospheric pressure and ambient temperature of 15 degrees. 0 ft above sea level. Performance will fluctuate as those parameters change.

The butane is charged inside the bottle to a pressure of approx. 2 bar hence the need for a regulator which steps it down to 28 mbar 30 or 37 mbar ,,,As gas is drawn in a vapour the pressure in the bottle will drop directly affecting the ability to gas, particularly if the ambient temperature outside is insufficient to allow boiling, The upshot of all this is that it is possible to have liquid gas left which cant vapourise, Air /water is not the issue .

Propane has a totally different set of properties boiling points, explosion limits etc well within the norms of your daily camping. hence road repairs etc you always see using propane,

A common problem with both gasses this time of year is moisture can become trapped in the regulator and freezes, this doesn't allow the diaphragm to function correctly and you get no gas.

Channa
    Likes Asterix liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    F.O.F with caravan stuff glued on
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post

A common problem with both gasses this time of year is moisture can become trapped in the regulator and freezes, this doesn't allow the diaphragm to function correctly and you get no gas.

Channa
    The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water. John W. Gardner

Mines heated !
    Remote Indicator for Truma Duo Comfort | Truma Code: 50210-01 | Gas regulators | Leisureshopdirect
    Likes channa liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information