Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I have voted no but will say why.

The mh is the first thing we have had with onboard water tanks so we are used to filling a separate container with water, if necessary getting bottled water.

When we took the mh away a few weeks ago the first place we stopped had a private water supply so had to be boiled anyway. Also we had not had any water in the tanks before this so had not had chance to clean them through.

While we were looking at how best to clean tanks and manage water we have come across threads where people are saying using sterilising solutions can damage the hot water side of things so this put me off Milton and the sterilising stuff Caz got from camping shop. I have since seen a video from Diamon Dave where he says donít bother with sterilising but use lemon juice or vinegar so I currently have lemon sloshing around waiting to be emptied.

This is split between do you drink from tank water or not but another split should really be added, if you drink from tank water do you have water filtrating/purifying equipment you also use.

Singling our plastic bottles is a bit lip sided when there are many more sources of plastic causing more problems that the bottles, I do agree plastic packaging should be withdrawn as soon as possible, canít see the younger ones taking to veg with mud on and stuff that has to be washed clean though, not if half those I work with are any judge, they throw things away when it reaches the sell by date for gawds sake

From what I see most folks canít agree on what should be done or how so itís very hard as a newcomer to work out whatís best
    Likes Chainsaw Charlie liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    F.O.F with caravan stuff glued on
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabsim View Post

The mh is the first thing we have had with onboard water tanks so we are used to filling a separate container with water, if necessary getting bottled water.

When we took the mh away a few weeks ago the first place we stopped had a private water supply so had to be boiled anyway. Also we had not had any water in the tanks before this so had not had chance to clean them through.

While we were looking at how best to clean tanks and manage water we have come across threads where people are saying using sterilising solutions can damage the hot water side of things so this put me off Milton and the sterilising stuff Caz got from camping shop. I have since seen a video from Diamon Dave where he says donít bother with sterilising but use lemon juice or vinegar so I currently have lemon sloshing around waiting to be emptied.

This is split between do you drink from tank water or not but another split should really be added, if you drink from tank water do you have water filtrating/purifying equipment you also use.

Singling our plastic bottles is a bit lip sided when there are many more sources of plastic causing more problems that the bottles, I do agree plastic packaging should be withdrawn as soon as possible, canít see the younger ones taking to veg with mud on and stuff that has to be washed clean though, not if half those I work with are any judge, they throw things away when it reaches the sell by date for gawds sake

From what I see most folks canít agree on what should be done or how so itís very hard as a newcomer to work out whatís best
    Easy enough to clean/sterilise the tank and cold pipes without filling the boiler if you start with the system full and then draw off some of the sterilising fluid to each cold outlet and leave sitting with pump off .

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Motorhome (aka The Nest)

While we were looking at how best to clean tanks and manage water we have come across threads where people are saying using sterilising solutions can damage the hot water side of things so this put me off Milton and the sterilising stuff Caz got from camping shop. I have since seen a video from Diamon Dave where he says don’t bother with sterilising but use lemon juice or vinegar so I currently have lemon sloshing around waiting to be emptied.

Singling our plastic bottles is a bit lip sided when there are many more sources of plastic causing more problems that the bottles, I do agree plastic packaging should be withdrawn as soon as possible, can’t see the younger ones taking to veg with mud on and stuff that has to be washed clean though, not if half those I work with are any judge, they throw things away when it reaches the sell by date for gawds sake

From what I see most folks can’t agree on what should be done or how so it’s very hard as a newcomer to work out what’s best

Yes, I Sterilise My On Board Tanks ‘Fairly’ regularly probably about every 3 or 4 months, & Yep, I Put a few glugs of Good Old Milton in & Draw it through normally While At a Site Pit Stop Fill n Dump.
    All the water I THEN Collect (Rain, Stream, River, Lake, Snow, Even Tap water if suspect) is Filterd BEFORE it goes into the On Board 100lt Tanks. I Also have 1 X 35lt (ish) Aqua Roll if the Raw water That is to be collected is a walk away OR is used for just the Storage as is the smaller 3 x 10lt water containers also used for the collection of ‘Raw’ un Filterd water from whatever source is handy. Then this is Filterd at a rate of Just over 4.5 lt an hour straight into the On Board Tanks Normally in the Evening & Over Night While At a Park up. When the Tank is Full I can Then of course carry a further 60 odd Lt of Raw water in the Containers to Filter & Top up the main Tanks as it is used.
    Once all FULL UP it’s really easy to keep on top of things as Historically The Average water usage aboard The Nest is around 15 lt a Day. So only a cpl of Containers & say 3 HRs of Filtering that I just let happen while I watch a movie or catch up on the WC forum
    Last edited by Nesting Zombie; 16-04-2018 at 16:26.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
    We have also had an on board water filter connected to the fresh water tank system and have been using it for cold drinking for the past 4.5 years, using the same filter with no recognisable ill effects
    Recently, I have renewed the whole drinking water filter system, and notice that the filters should be changed every 6 months... we will see.
    Last year (or was it the year before?) I had a problem with the water pressure from the taps. As part of investigating that, I found a water filter in the supply to the cold tap in the kitchen.

It had a label saying it should be replaced every season or every 4500 litres. It was date-stamped 1998, so I guess it had never been replaced. Maybe a "season" lasts 19 years?

I bought a new one of the same make and model. Cost over £20. The new one weighed less, but I'm not sure if that was due to weight of muck inside or just lighter construction.

Replacing it made no difference to the taste or the flow speed of the water.

The water flow problem was partly due to a leaking pressure release valve and partly due to a failing pump, but that took longer to discover!
    Last edited by hairydog; 16-04-2018 at 21:49.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    N+B Arto 69GL(2003)
    Been drinking tank water in boat (stainless tank) and MH(plastic) for 40 years.

OH half drinks bottled cold, but tank in coffee.

On a work assignment in Kathmandu I was sitting at a bar talking to a UK water engineer, who explained that the water pipes in the city had been installed in Victorian times and were iron which had rusted, and that since there was no sewage system that it could leech into the fresh supply, so never touch the water!

I looked at his drink and asked quietly what about the ice in there? Response - 'Sh*t I never thought of that!'

Member Number
    I swim in rivers, lakes, the sea and probable the worst, swimming pools so I see no point in getting too upset about drinking the water from a MH tank.

Richard
    Likes channa liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota
    Singling our plastic bottles is a bit lip sided when there are many more sources of plastic causing more problems that the bottles ...
    Have a look at this:

A million bottles a minute: world's plastic binge 'as dangerous as climate change' | Environment | The Guardian

16 million plastic bottles A DAY chucked away! And that's just the UK!
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto-trail Scout
    We don't drink the MH tank water. However, we have a couple of 10-litre water containers for drinking water that we fill at the same time we top up the MH tank. Been doing that for over two decades of caravanning and carried the practice on when we switched to a motorhome last year.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Singling our plastic bottles is a bit lip sided when there are many more sources of plastic causing more problems that the bottles,
    No it isn't. Water in plastic bottles is an entirely unnecessary, unhealthy and dangerous idea.
    The need for "hydration" (and more recently "electrolysing") was invented to drive the sale of bottled water. There was no need before the useless product was invented. People drank when they were thirsty.
    It takes a special sort of marketing bullshit to sell 0.5p worth in a plastic bottle that cost 5p plus a vast cost of rubbish collection, long-term environmental damage and traces of toxins in the water.
    A plastic window frame makes sense. Even weapping some things in thin plastic to transport has some merit, but to sell an inferior product at a vast cost and utterly pointless packagine is appalling.
    Likes Tim120 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffL View Post
    We don't drink the MH tank water. However, we have a couple of 10-litre water containers for drinking water that we fill at the same time we top up the MH tank. Been doing that for over two decades of caravanning and carried the practice on when we switched to a motorhome last year.
    Do you keep them in the dark, or are they opaque?
    How are they better or cleaner than the tank?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information