• Not on your life!

35 32.11%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Do you drink the water?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Kon-Tiki 625

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    When fresh water filling in France and Spain on aires or service areas some if not most would have two outlets marked eau potable (drinking) and non potable (not for drinking) signs on the same machine to dispense water. Likewise here in the UK on the odd ocassion we have stayed on a site at a service point water is marked as potable and waste. These two are separate from the cassette rinse water.
    Surely there are not two different supplies fed to one point for water to provide potable/non potable water.?

In answer to the question we have done both, using water fed from a local supply into the tank and bottled when we could not find a supply.
    Filled tank and bottles from a supply when we have found one.
    We Haven't Got A Plan So Nothing Can Go Wrong!

Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    Quote Originally Posted by POI Admin View Post
    Have a look at this:

A million bottles a minute: world's plastic binge 'as dangerous as climate change' | Environment | The Guardian

16 million plastic bottles A DAY chucked away! And that's just the UK!
    My last comments on plastic bottles. An enzyme has been developed that recycles plastic bottles, we can now recycle plastic but it is only just being told in the news so you may not have heard yet. The problem is the existing plastic that has been thrown away already. My comment was not meant to make out it is okay, it was meant to point to a much larger problem of plastics and packaging not just bottles. People are fairly stuffed with regard to buying things in single use plastic although it is starting to change but they have always had a choice where to put it once used. Thats a far bigger problem to my mind.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto-trail Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    Do you keep them in the dark, or are they opaque?
    How are they better or cleaner than the tank?
    One is opaque; both are kept in shade. However, the big difference is that the water is changed at most every few days and they are thoroughly washed before we go on a trip. It would be very difficult to vigorously shake the MH tank in the same way! The other advantage is that by using our 10 litre containers, we have an additional 20 litres on board and two 10 litre containers that we can use to carry water to pour into the tank if we can't or don't want to use the hose.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Motorhome (aka The Nest)
    Do you keep them in the dark, or are they opaque?
    How are they better or cleaner than the tank?
    Because the Raw water I collect is only normally stored in my Containers for ‘Maybe’ 2 Or 3 Days before I Filter it & Put it in my Main Fresh water Tank, I just use Thease -
    68209585-F32C-4DE8-A12D-D457B334D10B.jpg
    Each one is 10 lt, They are VERY Strong & can put up with a bit of chucking about & a punishing trip in my Rucksack if needs be, & (To Me) the YELLOW Top denotes RAW WATER, I have 2 Green ones for Diesel (The Nest) & 1 Red one for Petrol (Genny).

Not mixed the up,,,YET !,,,
    Likes Hen on the Nest liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    5 vehicles in four countries. Hobby in Germany, Airstream Cutter in USA, MCI MH & OKA 4WD in Oz,
    In overt 30 countries including several regarded as third-world and never a health problem attributable to the water.

Only a couple of times we bought water - Baja and southern USA and that was only because coffee and tea made with the local tap water was undrinkable
    Tony
    International Grey Nomad - currently in Oz. Next Texas to Alaska and return

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabsim View Post
    My last comments on plastic bottles. An enzyme has been developed that recycles plastic bottles, we can now recycle plastic but it is only just being told in the news so you may not have heard yet. The problem is the existing plastic that has been thrown away already. My comment was not meant to make out it is okay, it was meant to point to a much larger problem of plastics and packaging not just bottles. People are fairly stuffed with regard to buying things in single use plastic although it is starting to change but they have always had a choice where to put it once used. Thats a far bigger problem to my mind.
    No, an enzyme that can digest plastic has been identified and is being worked on, but is not yet in use, and needs to be altered to take high temperatures so it can eat liquid plastic. Unfortunately it will still cost far more than making new plastic from oil, so it will need fiscal help to be viable. And if it were to escape to the wild and evolve that would not be good. Yes, too much plastic is a bigger problem, but plastic-bottled water is an utterly unneeded product that typifies the wider and bigger problem of all single-user plastic.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Motorhome (aka The Nest)
    Well,
    According to the figures in the Poll, Roughly Twice as many ( currently At around the 66% mark ) ‘Do’
    Than Don’t (Currently at around the 33% Mark), But we are all still here so Proof that Whoever is Doing Whatever is Working for you them However & Wherever we all do it !

I Think!.
    Last edited by Nesting Zombie; 17-04-2018 at 09:32.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleeper Trooper LE
    Can't really vote as I fall somewhere between the two extremes.

From Halloween through to Easter I don't use the fresh water tank at all in case it freezes. I have 3 x 2 litre containers that I use. In summer I tend to keep them filled up as easier to get to when travelling than the tap. However, when I am stopped and can get to the tap I use that for everything, including filling the dog's water bowl.

Having said that, I never drink water cold anyway so it's always boiled for my coffee. If I am thirsty then I drink fizzy/flavoured water - which has to be bought in plastic bottles as it's the only way it comes from the shop.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Motorhome (aka The Nest)
    Hey Caz,
    I use to drink FAR FAR too much of that same kinda Bottled Fizzy Water as I think youíre on about,,,But even I know itís Awful Fake Stuff that just makes you feel even more Thirsty!. I hardly drink the stuff now.

Have you thought of water & say a Squash if Some sort as a change ?.
    Last edited by Nesting Zombie; 17-04-2018 at 11:29.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Avantgarde 140
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabsim View Post
    No, an enzyme that can digest plastic has been identified and is being worked on, but is not yet in use, and needs to be altered to take high temperatures so it can eat liquid plastic. Unfortunately it will still cost far more than making new plastic from oil, so it will need fiscal help to be viable. And if it were to escape to the wild and evolve that would not be good. Yes, too much plastic is a bigger problem, but plastic-bottled water is an utterly unneeded product that typifies the wider and bigger problem of all single-user plastic.
    I heard the good news yesterday about the enzymes too... let's hope it'll be a brilliant new and more efficient way of dealing with plastic and drinks bottles in particular. By the way, a lot of people don't realise that empty water bottles have been used to make fleeces for a very long time. PET is highly recyclable and reusable. As you say Nabsim, if only more people would separate and put stuff in recycling bins instead of throwing them in the normal waste to end up on tips Packaging drives me nuts... I won't even start...
    HD, I don't agree about bottled water or other drinks not being needed now, although I wish they'd never been invented! If bottled water had been nipped in the bud donkeys years ago, we'd still have lots of drinking fountains around and wouldn't need to resort to buying drinks when we're out and about. Nowadays, we have no choice... other than to carry our own refillable bottles... usually lightweight and plastic

I've got a bit of a concern about the whole plastic furore. I should say first, I'm a great believer in recycling and ethical use and disposal of everything we use... I use glass at home and a refillable drinking bottle when out and about, a refillable coffee mug whenever I can logistically carry it with me and have used fabric shopping bags for decades, certainly long before anyone thought up 'bag for life'. However, leaving aside the disposal aspect for just a second or two... plastic is an incredible material that has totally revolutionalised our lives in many ways. It's light, durable, mostly inert and non-toxic (unless left hanging around in the sun) now that BPA has been addressed, it's cheap, washable, sterilisable, easy to make colourful without harmful coatings, etc, etc. Think of the old days of glass, wood, rubber, leather, metal (lead!) and early attempts at plastic, such as bakelite... now associate those with modern baby equipment, children's toys, pet equipment and toys, medical equipment, simple things like washing up bowls and dozens of useful things that we carry in our vans. Think of the expense of trying to avoid plastic again and switching back to more natural materials. Wood for example... gorgeous but do we really want to cut down all those trees to avoid plastic? Glass... I'd happily go back to doorstep milk delivery and collections but for other things, it's far too dangerous, eg, to give to littl'uns (and the odd hooligan!).

Anyway, my main point is, pushing us into giving up plastic via the relentless guilt trip about using it need NOT be the battle cry in this day and age. I have no doubt we have the brainpower, the technology and the inventiveness to find better ways to recycle/dispose/reuse and even change the chemical composition of plastic, to allow us to continue using such an invaluable material. The thing is, do we have the will? Someone, somewhere needs to be able to make money out of it for the research and development to be put into it in the first place. The enzyme news is a great start and I hope it encourages more work in the field. The alternative is more punishment, taxation, guilt and blame on the consumer... as happened with plastic shopping bags and now even diesel - ie, "we won't stop you using these [incredibly harmful] things, we'll just make you pay through the nose for the privilege and boost our own profits into the bargain"!

OK, soap box is back behind the sofa... I'll go quietly...
    Last edited by Minisorella; 17-04-2018 at 11:41.
    Likes Nabsim, jennyp19, hairydog liked this post
    Thanks Nabsim thanked for this post

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information