Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom

Solar Water Heating

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Has anyone used one of these dump load water heating elements (or similar) 12V/24V Water Heater 600W 1 Inch BSP screw in element - dump load

I went to wire in the immersion heater on my mh yesterday and under the end cap doesn't look like any of the ones on the SureCal clarifier site. I have sent them an email with a photo of the connections so need to wait on an answer from them but wondering if solar dump may be more useful as I intend to be off grid more than on once sorted.

If you have one anything with them can you say what and where from, how would be nice as well

Member Number
    I have done it on my van, I did put a post on here some time back with photos, but I can't find it.
    My solar charge controller switches a relay on and off which controls the 12v that is feeding the element like you have shown, the element is in the side of my truma water heater tank. I have incorporated a thermostat that also switches the relay should the water get too hot. Here is my post of another site, I have upgraded the cables since the photos where taken.
    My final Mod I think, 12v solar hot water - tribby.co.uk
    D
    Likes Nabsim, trevskoda, stonedaddy liked this post
    Thanks Nabsim thanked for this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabsim View Post
    Has anyone used one of these dump load water heating elements (or similar) 12V/24V Water Heater 600W 1 Inch BSP screw in element - dump load

I went to wire in the immersion heater on my mh yesterday and under the end cap doesn't look like any of the ones on the SureCal clarifier site. I have sent them an email with a photo of the connections so need to wait on an answer from them but wondering if solar dump may be more useful as I intend to be off grid more than on once sorted.

If you have one anything with them can you say what and where from, how would be nice as well
    I must be missing something here,

where will you get the 50 amps from if you are off grid ?

If you are trying to do this in the UK ?

Likes N/A, Fazerloz liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    Thanks for that Dean it shows me exactly how you did it, has it kept working as well as you said in your first test?

Not sure of the size of the tank in mine but it looks like it may be a 22 litre but will need to measure up properly today Surejust > 22 litre horizontal single coil Surecal calorifier

Stamped in my immersion it says 16A 240v but on the cap it says 0.9 to 1Kw which is all good if its 240V but I cannot see any earth connection or cable gland entry point which is why I have emailed SureCal. Will wait for an answer from them before doing anything but I should be able to get a reducer to take it down to the 1" connection for a solar/12v element without welding.

I only started looking as I have an Eberspacher controller/switch that isn't getting power so was trying to find where it was fused. Thinking now they never finished off that part of the conversion when they fitted the diesel heater and calorifier. May need a boat yard fitter to give it a once over at some point. Will get an email sent off to Panks and see if they can give me any info as they fitted the Eberspacher which interconnects through the heat exchanger bit, one invoice mentions fitting a water tank so not sure if that is the fresh water or hot water.

In the pic of the two controls the top one is what I thought may have been for the immersion (no power to it at present) the bottom one does turn on heating or blower and control temps so does not need the top one

IMG_1235.jpgIMG_0944.jpgIMG_0941.jpg

Member Number
    Mine is great when on the continental, it works a treat. Also if I am on a hook up it works via the charger.
    D

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    Quote Originally Posted by harrow View Post

It uses excess 12v battery power to a 12v immersion element,

Edit: I linked a 600W but they do others, its the process of heating water using excess Solar I am asking about

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    It uses excess 12v battery power to a 12v immersion element,

Edit: I linked a 600W but they do others, its the process of heating water using excess Solar I am asking about
    This is something I am planning on doing as I usually have excess power a lot of the day as well as a small Electric-only water heater, so the two should be ideal together
    I don't have a programmable load output on my solar controller however so need to work out an alternative switching method (think I know how but need to test it first)
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    This is something I am planning on doing as I usually have excess power a lot of the day as well as a small Electric-only water heater, so the two should be ideal together
    I don't have a programmable load output on my solar controller however so need to work out an alternative switching method (think I know how but need to test it first)
    The way Dean has done it doesn't need a load output I dont think, just drawing from the batteries then solar tops up the battery

Byronic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by harrow View Post

50A?
    On the equator parked on top of Kilimanjaro, cloudless day with clean
    horizontal panels you'll get a theoretical 600W from 6x100W panels at midday.
    SomeWatt less if parked in say Harrow, Harrow.
    Likes harrow, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    The way Dean has done it doesn't need a load output I dont think, just drawing from the batteries then solar tops up the battery
    He is using either a programmable load output or similar from his Controller. To quote his post:
    "I have wired to my solar charge controller that can be set to come on and off at desired voltages so I never have a flat battery and it just uses the excess solar energy that my batteries dont need"
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit
    Likes Nabsim liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information