CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Thread: Hymer A Class cab blinds - how to remove?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture

Hymer A Class cab blinds - how to remove?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I want to remove the horizontal pleated windscreen blinds so I can get to the board under the dashboard, but I can't work out how they are fixed in place. And I can't find this info on the web.

They seem to be firmly attached. Too firmly to be able to work out where the attachment points are.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Member Number
    I'm taking a guess, they run in tracks? The usual way light load tracks are
    fixed is with cheese head screws so they fit flush and allow
    the blind runners to slide. They might be hard to spot, perhaps
    dust covered. Worth a look to confirm.
    Having written that perhaps the blinds are flexible enough to
    be bent/flexed out of the tracks. Tracks left in situ.
    Last edited by Byronic; 25-05-2018 at 19:46.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer S520
    Hi ours are in two parts side window and half front blind on one fixing.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    The pleated blinds are stored in a sort of cassette fixed to the pillars at either end of the windscreen.

The problem is how to remove the cassette from the windscreen pillars. There are no visible screw heads or any other visible fittings, but they are firmly attached.

The rails they hang between when in use are not a problem

Member Number
    Hymer couldn't have resorted to double sided tape could they?

Not likely, but Mercedes have used d/s tape to affix G/Fibre
    wind deflectors on my van front along the windscreen sides.

Member Number
    I found this on another forum

This was done on a Hymer B564 RHD 2002......but must be same for similar models of that era.

The blinds frame appears to be all attached from the side window cassette to the windscreen cassette/frame but I will show you how to remove cassette from windscreen. I assume will be reverse for LHD vehicles.There are are pics to show the steps......easier than explaining !!

From passenger side :
    Removed inside plastic frame by taking plastic screw covers off then screws. Just slide frame cover out of the way to rest on door.
    You will then see 3 little brackets supporting cassette frame ....remove these.
    Next remove screws from cassette frame.

Remove upper blind guide rail located at top of windscreen (middle)which is a small bracket with 2 screws and releasing this allows you to remove guide frame side cassette. Note I only detached it from passenger side but could be fully detached .

The windscreen blind cassette is now loose and the upper blind guide on the side window can now be slid out of windscreen cassette. Note this will also come out of the side window blind cassette.

There is also a lower rail on passenger side which is also attached to windscreen cassette.....this also can be slid off easily.

I have pm'd you the link
    Thanks hairydog thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Just to tidy up, the link Tezza33 pm'd to me clarified how the blind cassettes were fixed, and I was able to take the dash apart and replace the entire board.

I replaced the old 9mm plywood dash panel with a replacement of exactly the same size and shape, made of 9mm board (like the original) but of marine ply.

It weighs slightly more than twice as much as the old board did, so clearly is of better quality timber.

All fitted back together successfully, with a little extra sound deadening I added in a few places, it is astonishing how much quieter and smoother the motorhome feels. And the radio is audible at much lower volume settings.

Though now without the noise of the engine to drown them, I may have to address a few other rattles.
    Likes 2cv liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    I replaced the old 9mm plywood dash panel with a replacement of exactly the same size and shape, made of 9mm board (like the original) but of marine ply.

It weighs slightly more than twice as much as the old board did, so clearly is of better quality timber.

All fitted back together successfully, with a little extra sound deadening I added in a few places, it is astonishing how much quieter and smoother the motorhome feels.
    I did mine a few years ago, I had noticed for a long time that the fabric covering the dash top was lifting up obviously because of air under it, I thought it was from the heater blower so it wasn't urgent until I poked around under the bonnet, the board was rotten with most of the front missing, I also used marine ply and found the same as you, so much quieter and felt smoother, we must have just become used to the slow increase in noise as the board rotted away

Thread Information