CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Victron Solar Charge Controller and Battery Monitor Question

  1. #1
    Full Member is online now Full Member
    Name: Sir Colin
    Spouse: No Thank You

    Member Number
    41323
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    267
    Location
    Equidistant From The M25, M1 and A1M
    Motorhome
    Autosleeper Palermo

    Victron Solar Charge Controller and Battery Monitor Question



    CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Earlier this week I finished the installation of a new solar charging system in the Moho consisting of a Panasonic 295W solar panel, Victron Solar Charge Controller 100/20 and Victron Battery Monitor BMV-700. I've waited for the charging current etc. to settle down and given myself time to understand what to expect from the battery monitor as the day progresses. So far, so good, I'm pleased to say. The 'float' charge seems to be settling down to about 0.15A for a pair of Energy Bull batteries with a total capacity of 200Ah. I'm happy that the cells won't be fizzing!
    This afternoon I decided to get on with the next stage of commissioning and started the engine. The charge controller stayed on 'float' charge and the battery monitor indicated a charge current with the engine on tick-over of about 1A with a voltage of about 14.2V. This is as I expected.
    I then turned the engine off and the battery monitor indicated 0A. After a couple of minutes the solar charger kicked in again and the float charge reverted to about 0.15A.
    All this seems OK to me but I've absolutely no experience with Victron equipment. Are these characteristics what you experts see on your installations?
    Thanks in anticipation for your comments.

    Colin

  2. #2

    Member Number
    40923
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,632
    Motorhome
    F.O.F with caravan stuff glued on
    Will the solar stop your van freezing in winter
    Who did you get your panels from as Phil said they were available in various sizes but have only found 3 sizes , none of which seem to suit this van as some idiot has put vents and skylights everywhere.
    I still really haven't got my head around this Solar obsession in motorhomes, loads of power generated at the times of the year you hardly need any power and absolutely useless in winter unless you install huge amounts of panels .

  3. #3
    winks's Avatar
    winks is online now Full Member
    Name: Harold
    Spouse: Roseann

    Member Number
    17121
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    934
    Motorhome
    Hobby 750 (The Behemoth)
    Not Victron, but we get much the same with our setup.

    150W panel, Epever PVM controller and two 135Ah Energy Bull batteries. MT50 monitor shows pretty much the same as yours and is useful when the dreaded 1200W hairdryer is in use, but its never gone below 12.1v on full load, returning back to 12.6v immediately the hairdryer is switched off.

    Cheers

    H
    Likes Full Member liked this post
    Thanks Full Member thanked for this post

  4. #4

    Member Number
    29434
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,480
    Motorhome
    Auto sleeper nuevo
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    Will the solar stop your van freezing in winter
    Who did you get your panels from as Phil said they were available in various sizes but have only found 3 sizes , none of which seem to suit this van as some idiot has put vents and skylights everywhere.
    I still really haven't got my head around this Solar obsession in motorhomes, loads of power generated at the times of the year you hardly need any power and absolutely useless in winter unless you install huge amounts of panels .
    or those efoy things .
    Likes Full Member liked this post

  5. #5

    Member Number
    17249
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    11,692
    Location
    Lancashire.
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    Will the solar stop your van freezing in winter
    Who did you get your panels from as Phil said they were available in various sizes but have only found 3 sizes , none of which seem to suit this van as some idiot has put vents and skylights everywhere.
    I still really haven't got my head around this Solar obsession in motorhomes, loads of power generated at the times of the year you hardly need any power and absolutely useless in winter unless you install huge amounts of panels .

    I tow this and never run short of power, even in winter Solar Power Trailer.jpg
    You Look Nice Are You The Doctor

  6. #6

    Member Number
    22267
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Member View Post
    Earlier this week I finished the installation of a new solar charging system in the Moho consisting of a Panasonic 295W solar panel, Victron Solar Charge Controller 100/20 and Victron Battery Monitor BMV-700. I've waited for the charging current etc. to settle down and given myself time to understand what to expect from the battery monitor as the day progresses. So far, so good, I'm pleased to say. The 'float' charge seems to be settling down to about 0.15A for a pair of Energy Bull batteries with a total capacity of 200Ah. I'm happy that the cells won't be fizzing!
    This afternoon I decided to get on with the next stage of commissioning and started the engine. The charge controller stayed on 'float' charge and the battery monitor indicated a charge current with the engine on tick-over of about 1A with a voltage of about 14.2V. This is as I expected.
    I then turned the engine off and the battery monitor indicated 0A. After a couple of minutes the solar charger kicked in again and the float charge reverted to about 0.15A.
    All this seems OK to me but I've absolutely no experience with Victron equipment. Are these characteristics what you experts see on your installations?
    Thanks in anticipation for your comments.

    Colin
    It's not an easy question to answer,

    as it depends how much charge your Energy Bull batteries require (or to put it another way how flat the Energy Bull batteries are)
    Thanks Full Member thanked for this post

  7. #7
    Full Member is online now Full Member
    Name: Sir Colin
    Spouse: No Thank You

    Member Number
    41323
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    267
    Location
    Equidistant From The M25, M1 and A1M
    Motorhome
    Autosleeper Palermo
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    Will the solar stop your van freezing in winter
    Who did you get your panels from as Phil said they were available in various sizes but have only found 3 sizes , none of which seem to suit this van as some idiot has put vents and skylights everywhere.
    I still really haven't got my head around this Solar obsession in motorhomes, loads of power generated at the times of the year you hardly need any power and absolutely useless in winter unless you install huge amounts of panels .
    Hi Charlie. I got the Panasonic panel and all the other bits and pieces from Midsummer Energy, Cambridge on my way back from the recent meet in Norfolk. Not the cheapest but very convenient for me. They're wholesalers but also do retail sales. I'm very pleased with their service. And delighted with the components. Stitch (Ian) recommended them to me.
    I got the aluminium angle for the brackets from Aluminium Warehouse, Welham Green and the aluminium rivet nuts and stainless steel washers and screws from Orbital Fasteners, Watford. I had problems compressing the rivet nuts using the simple nut, bolt and lubricated washers approach so I made a purpose tool to fit the rivet nuts if you're going down that route and would like to borrow it.
    My roof is also littered with skylights and fairings to divert air over them as I hurtle across the countryside. That's one of the reasons I went for the Panasonic panel and self-made brackets. Also because the Panasonic panel's output W/m is relatively high. If you haven't used it before I'd suggest giving the Victron equipment serious consideration. Well thought through and well made as far as I can tell.
    My system doesn't follow the usual mantra of matching watts and Ah. As you're aware, panels rarely give the rated output in Europe even in the summer (test conditions are 1000W/m incident light at 90 to the panel).
    I've gone for the highest output panel I can reasonably fit on the roof so that I have at least a chance of getting some energy into the batteries in the winter when the panel is delivering about 10% of it's summer output.
    Let me know if I can help in any way.

    Colin 😊😊😊

  8. #8
    Full Member is online now Full Member
    Name: Sir Colin
    Spouse: No Thank You

    Member Number
    41323
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    267
    Location
    Equidistant From The M25, M1 and A1M
    Motorhome
    Autosleeper Palermo
    Quote Originally Posted by harrow View Post
    It's not an easy question to answer,

    as it depends how much charge your Energy Bull batteries require (or to put it another way how flat the Energy Bull batteries are)
    Thanks, harrow. The low float charge suggests that the batteries are fully charged. I was really asking whether the current flows indicated whilst the engine was on tick-over and immediately after it was stopped are as experienced by others.

    Colin 😊😊😊

  9. #9

    Member Number
    1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,268
    Location
    Henley-in-Arden
    Motorhome
    Hymer B598
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Member View Post
    Thanks, harrow. The low float charge suggests that the batteries are fully charged. I was really asking whether the current flows indicated whilst the engine was on tick-over and immediately after it was stopped are as experienced by others.

    Colin 😊😊😊
    I would suggest that you discharge the batteries by about 40% and then see what the charging characteristics are.
    Likes Cheerful Charlie, harrow liked this post

  10. #10

    Member Number
    60568
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,617
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Member View Post
    Earlier this week I finished the installation of a new solar charging system in the Moho consisting of a Panasonic 295W solar panel, Victron Solar Charge Controller 100/20 and Victron Battery Monitor BMV-700. I've waited for the charging current etc. to settle down and given myself time to understand what to expect from the battery monitor as the day progresses. So far, so good, I'm pleased to say. The 'float' charge seems to be settling down to about 0.15A for a pair of Energy Bull batteries with a total capacity of 200Ah. I'm happy that the cells won't be fizzing!
    This afternoon I decided to get on with the next stage of commissioning and started the engine. The charge controller stayed on 'float' charge and the battery monitor indicated a charge current with the engine on tick-over of about 1A with a voltage of about 14.2V. This is as I expected.
    I then turned the engine off and the battery monitor indicated 0A. After a couple of minutes the solar charger kicked in again and the float charge reverted to about 0.15A.
    All this seems OK to me but I've absolutely no experience with Victron equipment. Are these characteristics what you experts see on your installations?
    Thanks in anticipation for your comments.

    Colin
    As it happens, I did a few hours driving yesterday for the first time since installing my Split-Charge Relay and looked at the data last time to see what was what on what is now a very similar setup to yours today ....
    I started off the drive with all batteries fully charged (as said by harrow, results will vary depending on current charge levels) and I got very similar results to you - I was 'using' -10 to -15W. So around 0.7-1.2A going into the batteries (which MUST be from the Alterntor via Split Charge the way the data is logged); the MPPT controller was in float mode and providing close to zero Amps in - but it did suddenly kick in with 126W of power when the fridge started - so it seems the Solar Controller is much more responsive then the Alternator to a sudden demand (YMMV on that one on a different vehicle of course).

    So I would say your system is spot on but .... I would suggest running down your battery bank to maybe 80% SOC and then running the engine and seeing what the numbers are in that case as well (ideally go for a drive with someone else driving so you can check the numbers voa bluetooth when engine running in normal circumstances).
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit
    Likes harrow, Full Member, RoadTrek Boy liked this post
    Thanks Full Member thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •