Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas pressure acceptable with new refillable bottles

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleeper Symphony [FannyFive]

Gas pressure acceptable with new refillable bottles

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hi

Hoping to have one 6kg refillable gas cylinder fitted by Gas 2000 in the coming weeks on my Autosleeper Symphony 2003.
    Chris has asked me to look in my Autosleeper manual and see if cooker and water heater will allow to run on different pressures.
    this is what Chris said in his email..........................................

"6kg gas bottle is 246mm diameter by 460mm high

Before we go further I can see that the gas regulator is fitted to the bottle with rubber hose. We cannot use the same regulator as this one is for butane gas but we can use an alternative but we donít stock 37 mb propane regualtors for rubber hoses as this is old style. If the van can run at a lower gas pressure like most new vans from 2002 onwards then we could look at adding a remote wall mounted regulator at 30mb regulator which would make the install so much easier to do. Please check the documentation for the vehicle gas appliancies to see if they would run at 30 mb and let me know."

I am not sure that the manual covers this. Can anyone help.

Thanks

FannyFour
    Steve

Member Number
    Plenty of 37mb propane regs on ebay ?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Rapido 775F
    It may help if you tell us what make the appliances are. A quick look at the manuals for my 2003 Rapido (SMEV appliances) seem to suggest they are OK for 30mbar propane. I just checked my regulator and it is a 30mbar.
    Have you checked your regulator?
    Of course yours is a british made van so maybe that accounts for the difference.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Citroen Relay swb
    When I had Autogas fitted I wasn't asked anything like that ... is it Chris Wise btw?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    Yes you will be fine. I went from a 37 mb to 30 mb without problem. The only time it might be a problem would be if you had an old European model van which used a 50 mbar system.

The actual difference in your case is 7/1000 (0.007) of 14.7 lbs/in2
    Likes channa liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    F.O.F with caravan stuff glued on
    Most modern appliances are stamped up as being useable and jetted for 28 mbar 30 mbar and 37 mbar but I doubt that an older pre 2003 appliance will actually say that it is useable at 30 mbar as that standard didn't exist.
    Chris is correct in asking as although the appliance will in all probability work perfectly well he should not advise you that it is .
    Having said all that your appliances don't have to be Gas Safe checked for personal use and I don't know if autogas are even registered as they don't have to be.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    As Maingate states issues can occur on some of the old continental German vans that were running at 50 mbar

2002 regulations changed to 30 mbar, Most appliances I have come across when jetted for LPG cover the 28/37 mbar standards (eg statics)

From Autogas standpoint any installation should be too current standard hence the belt and braces approach. A 2003 could be old standard if it was stood about hence he is double checking

I don't see any problems on a coach built

Channa

In fact if it has 28 mbar reg it is the old standard
    Last edited by channa; 10-07-2018 at 20:48.

alwaysared is offline Full Member
    Name: Derek AKA Del
    Spouse: Diane

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1996 Dethleffs Globe Trotter
    My old German van has a 50mbar label on the inside of the door but is fitted with a 37mbar regulator, I found that my fridge says it needs to be 37mbar for propane (I'm pretty sure that it's the original one, but I could be wrong) my Truma Combi 6 water heater says it should be 30mbar (which isn't the original one) and I haven't been able to find out what the cooker should be! All I can tell you is that everything works okay so I'm not sure what regulator I should or shouldn't have

Regards,
    Del
    There are seven days in a week and "someday" isn't one of them.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleeper Symphony [FannyFive]
    Quote Originally Posted by carol View Post
    When I had Autogas fitted I wasn't asked anything like that ... is it Chris Wise btw?
    Yes Chris Wise

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Citroen Relay swb
    Quote Originally Posted by FannyFour View Post
    Yes Chris Wise
    Great bloke. Wish I'd gone direct to him to have mine done - nearer too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information