CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Thread: Water tanks

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Vantage Neo

Water tanks

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I have cleaned both grey and fresh water tanks over the last two days. I am currenlty rinsing out the fresh water tank and wondered what is the best thing to do now as I will not be using the van for approx 12 days. Should I leave the fresh water tank empty or should i have left the Aqua Sol in it until i was ready to leave and then rinse it out?

winks is offline Full Member
    Name: Harold
    Spouse: Roseann

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hobby 750 (The Behemoth)
    As a general rule I always fill the fresh tank when not using the van. The only exception is when its drained down when we escape to the Canaries in winter. It gets a run through with purifier before coming back into regular use and we do use it for drinking water.

Cheers

H
    Likes 101279 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autocruise Vista
    What is the current view on running milton through your water boiler? I seem to recall that advice was not to use chlorine based products as they can corrode the stainless steel components in the boiler. However I have also read comments from a Milton representative stating that a quick run through and rinse will do no harm as the product won't be in contact with the stainless steel for long enough to do any harm.

If that was the case my plan would be to fill the tank with sufficient fresh water to fill the boiler. Then add milton solution and fill the tank further, and run through cold taps only. Leave for 24 hours. Then empty the system through both hot and cold taps and flush several times with clean water.

I wouldn't normally bother but my new van has been in storage for 2 years and the water system wasn't fully drained down beforehand.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    I would rinse it out with water. Nothing else.
    Thanks shaunr68 thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    IVECO 75 E17 SELF BUILD
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunr68 View Post
    What is the current view on running milton through your water boiler? I seem to recall that advice was not to use chlorine based products as they can corrode the stainless steel components in the boiler. However I have also read comments from a Milton representative stating that a quick run through and rinse will do no harm as the product won't be in contact with the stainless steel for long enough to do any harm.

If that was the case my plan would be to fill the tank with sufficient fresh water to fill the boiler. Then add milton solution and fill the tank further, and run through cold taps only. Leave for 24 hours. Then empty the system through both hot and cold taps and flush several times with clean water.

I wouldn't normally bother but my new van has been in storage for 2 years and the water system wasn't fully drained down beforehand.
    Why not just use the proper product for the job, ie puriclean, does the job properly without any problems with the water heater tank or with the pipework
    Likes winks liked this post
    Thanks shaunr68, witzend thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autocruise Vista
    Quote Originally Posted by FULL TIMER View Post
    Why not just use the proper product for the job, ie puriclean, does the job properly without any problems with the water heater tank or with the pipework
    Thanks, did a few searches and Halfords of all places sell this stuff at 2.99 for 100g which is cheaper than most online suppliers and retailers, surprising given Halfords' usual ripoff prices. I'll pick up a tub on Monday.

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunr68 View Post
    Thanks, did a few searches and Halfords of all places sell this stuff at 2.99 for 100g
    Will That be enough ?
    Thanks shaunr68 thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autocruise Vista
    Quote Originally Posted by witzend View Post
    Will That be enough ?
    Hi, should be. It says 100g is sufficient for up to a 90L tank. My tank is around 80L, take the boiler and pipework into account and it should be around 90L. To be honest I'm more concerned about the pipework and taps as I can give the tank a good scrub by hand from the access hatch.

Cheers
    Thanks witzend thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autocruise Vista
    Apologies for the thread hijack Linda aka 101279 - I'm not a number, I'm a free camper!

I should really have started a new thread but it seemed an appropriate point to ask about tank cleaning stuff.
    Likes 101279 liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by 101279 View Post
    Should I leave the fresh water tank empty or should i have left the Aqua Sol in it until i was ready to leave and then rinse it out?
    If I left mine empty like over winter it would be with the top off so it could dry out. But usually leave it full

Thread Information