CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Under seal

Member Number
    Motorhome
    ace napoli

Under seal

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hi all, thought I'd share a recent find. my brother has a motorbike which is his pride and joy, having a chat one day he was on about winterising it. He showed me a bottle of ACF 50, having a read it sounded like just the stuff to use instead of under seal.
    It was developed for the aviation industry, for planes in flight and in storage.
    Good with electrics, in fact the only thing it says it reacts with is the rubbers on 40+ year old cars.
    I sloshed it all underneath the van, six months on looks really good. Especially on sump, axle and leaf springs.
    Interesting to know if anyone else has tried it and results.
    Likes peter palance liked this post

Byronic Guest
    Well known product in the motorcycle world, and highly thought of.
    But it definitely isn't something to "slosh" around, not that it would be harmful, But because (a) it's
    expensive and (b) it doesn't work well applied over dirt or greasy surfaces
    so would be largely ineffective, and wasted if used over acres of intact painted steel
    unlikey to corrode. More a product you apply to selected cleaned up metal, chrome,
    anodised surfaces to protect from corrosion.
    Likes Fermonz, trevskoda, saxonborg liked this post
    Thanks peter palance thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    ace napoli
    I needed something better than underseal. I find that it holds water underneath, next to the metal. After scraping loose under seal off, sprayed chassis and spread with brush then wiped over with rag. Used rag on sump, drive shafts, dampers, springs and brake pipes.
    With the spray bottle I could apply into voids in chassis. Would say I used about 150 ML. Should get five or six applications for 26 each lasting year to 18 months, so should get four to five years out of the 900 ML bottle.
    I will check underneath mid winter to see how its holding up, but as I posted, six months and looks good.
    Would like to say it works where underseal would be impractical, wheel inners, leaf springs and PAS.
    Likes N/A, peter palance liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Sounds good stuff
    I am about to underseal my vehicle, but at 130 a bottle (if I understood the numbers right) I think it might be outside my budget on a LWB Sprinter type van
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by argoose View Post
    Hi all, thought I'd share a recent find. my brother has a motorbike which is his pride and joy, having a chat one day he was on about winterising it. He showed me a bottle of ACF 50, having a read it sounded like just the stuff to use instead of under seal.
    It was developed for the aviation industry, for planes in flight and in storage.
    Good with electrics, in fact the only thing it says it reacts with is the rubbers on 40+ year old cars.
    I sloshed it all underneath the van, six months on looks really good. Especially on sump, axle and leaf springs.
    Wasting you time sloshing it there,its the metal box sections you need to do like inside sills doors a frames and inside the box floor sections where paint has not got during manafacture, the bits you see are not the bits that rust
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes molly 2 liked this post
    Thanks peter palance thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    ace napoli
    Thanks for info. will check out how to mist it into A piller and sills

Member Number
    Motorhome
    ace napoli
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    Sounds good stuff
    I am about to underseal my vehicle, but at 130 a bottle (if I understood the numbers right) I think it might be outside my budget on a LWB Sprinter type van
    Think you misunderstood , 26 for 900 ML but only used 150 ML, 1/6 th
    Likes peter palance liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Think you misunderstood , 26 for 900 ML but only used 150 ML, 1/6 th
    Ah I got that number from this sentence .... "Would say I used about 150 ML. Should get five or six applications for 26 each lasting year to 18 months, so should get four to five years out of the 900 ML bottle"
    I read it as "five or six applications for 26 each, lasting year to 18 months" rather than "five or six applications for 26, each lasting year to 18 months".

26 for a 900ML bottle is not too bad for a quality product.
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit
    Likes argoose, peter palance, Tezza33, hairydog liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Thanks for info. will check out how to mist it into A piller and sills
    There will be holes behind carpets etc and for doors just remove the trim panel,here is what to use with a mix of waxol and white spirit,a bit of hose can be attached to gun nozel to get in tight bits.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes peter palance, time4t liked this post
    Thanks argoose thanked for this post

Member Number
    ACF50 is very popular with motorcyclists, it's not very cheap, but if it does the job.

I know what you mean about underseal on old cars trapping water but waxoyl can do the same thing and I have used it on brand new cars and had rust holes.

Just painting on engine oil can do a useful job and it's cheap and simple.
    Likes trevskoda, peter palance, time4t liked this post

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information