Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hob Grommets

Member Number
    Motorhome
    T5

Hob Grommets

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Well I never thought I'd type that!

The tiny rubber grommets that hold the pan supports on our SMEV hob have gone hard or been lost. It's not the end of the world but as I am giving our campervan an early spring clean thought I would see if I could locate some. A quick trawl on the internet reveals some outrageous prices and so I wondered if anyone knew of where to get some or similar for not much money? I wonder if I could make some out of something too?

thanks for any advice

Chris & Sharon

Byronic Guest
    High temperature silicone just a blob here and there level it off before cured with wet finger/spatula,
    even mask it off if you want really neat edges, 330ml tube will give you about 300ml to
    practise with! I use it around hob unit much better than supplied rubber U seal.
    About £5, find a few other things that need doing at the same time, doesn't keep
    for long after unsealing.
    Thanks sololite thanked for this post

Obanboy666 is offline Full Member
    Name: Steve.
    Spouse: Widower.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Devon Conversions Tempest.
    Quote Originally Posted by sololite View Post
    Well I never thought I'd type that!

The tiny rubber grommets that hold the pan supports on our SMEV hob have gone hard or been lost. It's not the end of the world but as I am giving our campervan an early spring clean thought I would see if I could locate some. A quick trawl on the internet reveals some outrageous prices and so I wondered if anyone knew of where to get some or similar for not much money? I wonder if I could make some out of something too?

thanks for any advice

Chris & Sharon
    I lost a hob support and also a glass lid support grommet which sits in a screw hole.
    Like you shocked at price regardless of where you buy them from. I just bit the bullet and bought a pack of both types. Looking at them it may be possible to make something that would do the job but I like things to be original so spent my hard earned cash.
    Iíve since lost and replaced another glass lid support grommet so now use a small amount of clear silicon to hold them in place.
    The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - its all that matters.

Byronic Guest
    Another way is to buy some black 6mm or so bore nitrile or
    other high temperature fuel line hose cut into 10mm sections
    drill suitable dia. holes through to accommodate the grille
    then cut a slot down to the hole just slip over the grille frame.
    Make a hundred as spares from only 1metre of hose.
    Send some to the overpricing OEM suppliers, shame them

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    In general, the he price of small spare parts is outrageous. Almost always a few hundred time the cost of making them. Dometic sell a washer for about £5 - you could buy thousands of washers of the same specification for less money.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    T5
    I like the idea of making some, it appeals to my make and mend nature. I'll report back.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Chris

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Rapido Le Randonneur 763F
    Just search Gromet on Amazon and loads come up cheap you just need to know your size in MMs
    Rock bottom is the firm foundation i rebuilt my life on. J k Rowling

Byronic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by campervanannie View Post
    Just search Gromet on Amazon and loads come up cheap you just need to know your size in MMs
    Without a pic. it's difficult to visualise the item in question. Smev make differing
    ways of securing the pot stand/grating/grille to stop it rattling away. I took a guess.
    On my 4 burner the grate clips down on hard plastic Smev specific spacers. If a standard thin steel
    bulkhead grommet is all that's required then they're readily available from motor factors Halfords,
    or on ebay for pence.

Member Number
    We never bothered to replace ours much easier to clean if you can just lift out the pan rests
    Likes campervanannie liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hobby siesta a65gm
    I used a a rubber grommet but found it melted they must be made of some special heat treated rubber

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information