CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: From a would-be newbie - is Wild Camping in England/Wales achievable ?

Member Number

From a would-be newbie - is Wild Camping in England/Wales achievable ?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Afternoon everyone. We have been thinking about a campervan for a long time but are not sure if what we want to do is viable. Loathe to spend out on membership here (to see the POI) if our ideas are just dreams - and even more loathe to buy a van and then find its unachievable. So here goes - hope you can give us answers even if they're depressing !

We live on Exmoor and there are lots of places to rough park overnight and no-one seems to get moved on. But we would like to visit other places in the UK - after all we've got a bed, log fire and power shower here ! Research shows wild camping is legal in Scotland but if you Google for it in England/Wales it seems to be pretty hole-in-the corner. As long term sailors who like to anchor not use marinas, we would like to be able to visit an area or to make a trip with a half-way stopoff (say to the Channel ferries or to East Anglia) and NOT have to use a camp site. Not saying we would never do so but we genuinely like to be on our own and to stop when we feel like it. Don't fancy the restrictions of B&Bs and they may not like Asbo the boxer asbo_ss250.png

So is this viable ? We'd like to visit the Lizard, Pembrokeshire and many other places. Further into the future Europe would also be nice but if EHICs disappear next March then this would not be viable for Him Indoors so we would be restricted to the UK and the NHS. Look forward to hearing from you and hope that we can become "proper" members and go looking for a suitable camper van.

TIA
    Penny
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bentley Ochre
    Itís very possible. Have a look at the poi map at the top of this page. Very much worth joining here though as the app is much nicer to use and easily connects to streetview so that you can choose nice places more easily.
    2CV

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B564 Lionheart 2001
    You say your loathe to spend on membership, if so I would forget it if I were you. If you are not able to spend on the slightest research then I should think your idea is going to be a no go. The price of a years membership is not even the price of one night on a camp site and for that you will have at your fingertips 365 nights

Member Number
    Grab an ordnance survey map and use Google earth to search out suitable spots....
    Works well for us... And you tend to find quieter spots too which is a bonus.

Thanks peter palance thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    nuevo
    Grab an ordnance survey map and use Google earth to search out suitable spots....
    Works well for us... And you tend to find quieter spots too which is a bonus
    Exactly!

Penny, you will certainly be able to do as you wish - whether it is worth paying out for full membership is a question only you can answer, If you do become a full member yes you will have access to a great many spots in the POI library - but then so do all the other full members, there are other places where you can get similar information to the Wildcamping POIs - many of them free but again the only thing youcan be sure of is that every other tom dick and harry with the internet has access to them too!

get a good map, trace your route/destination of google earth and be adventurous

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Wildcamping is tricky in the South East of England, but still possible. Fairly easy most other places. Slightly easier away from the coasts.
    I don't generally subscribe to online stuff, but the wildcamping subscription really is well worth it to get the POIs. You will spend the annual subscription in fuel cost looking for two or three suitable spots, or paying for a single night on a site.
    Likes peter palance, wildebus, time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bentley Ochre
    Donít think that the POIs will be full of members from here. I use them often and very rarely have another van for company. There are of course places where vans congregate but my choice is to avoid these locations, there are plenty of quieter spots.
    By joining here you not only get the POIs, regularly updated, and rallies, but contribute to all the expense and hard work that goes into keeping the site great. As well as saving on campsite fees other discounts can more than cover membership, and of course you may strike it lucky in one of the raffles.
    2CV

Member Number
    Motorhome
    swift
    Just to add, the forum is full of information, if you have a problem there's always someone to try and help.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    fiat ducato silver wanderer
    Personally I would NEVER wild camp,
    Folk knock on the side of your van.
    Toot there horn at night, when you are asleep.
    Why in hell would you not pay to have a restful night on a site!
    Likes Growlie69 liked this post

Member Number

Thank you ! keep 'em comin' !

Dear all

Many thanks for the comments so far. It sounds very cheering. I did do quite a lot of research through Google but read a good deal about "well if you turn up late and nip off early you may not get thrown out since it is illegal in England" . Since my other half and I tend to argue about whether I've parked straight or not I thought the "can we or can't we" was the recipe for some splendid rows ! But I shall now join as a full member and continue the research. Thank you all again for your input.

Would still like more info if you would be so kind. Are laybys generally acceptable - I did read a post which said that last year's newbies had had 30 nights in the van/home and had not had any problems. I'm thinking of the trip from A to C with an overnighter at B - ?

And the second one (prolly lots more - sorreee !) - is a camper van (say VW/Bongo/Vito type) less conspicuous ? I know that having a coach-built motor home causes some problems around the lanes of Exmoor - had a chat with a couple about the best way to get from Dunkery Beacon to Lynmouth and they decided the lane to the most spectacular route was not suitable. So we thought that if we want to go to the remote places that smaller might be better (though the luxury is always appealing - especially if you're a dog who likes her memory foam bed !).

Have a good weekend.

Penny
    Likes Edina, 2cv, R0B, yorkslass liked this post

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information