CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Solar/fridge query

Member Number

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    We have 2 x 100w solar panels and Durite VSR charging 3 x 100ah leisure batteries....
    Our Waeco 40l compressor type coolbox has been running none stop 24/7 /365 for nearly 3 years....
    Only needing external charging in the depths of winter (when weather has been too wet and dismal for several weekends to bother heading away)
    Obvs solar does little in UK winter so durite shoulders the bourdon on trips.
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1997 Weinsberg Komet
    I have 300 w (2x 150w panels) feeding 3 x carbon gel batteries.

I am considering a fridge freezer (under counter 5 cublic feet type) with a freezer of about half that size on top.

I spend all year, out n about. Would a modern conderser type F/F run off my solar, all year, with the occasional alternater input to the batteries.

You good advise and guidance, most welcome.

Any make models advice also welcome.

Thanks

Ed

r4dent is offline Mostly Harmless
    Name: Pete
    Spouse: Liza

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bailey Approach
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbenny View Post
    My question is would I be able to leave my fridge running all the time even when parked up ?
    I assume you have a 12v compressor fridge. If you have an absorption fridge forget the idea of running on 12v full time.

The first question is how much power do you use?
    A typical 12v compressor uses 500 – 600 watt per day.
    Therefore, to run your fridge for 24 hours you need battery capacity of 600 watt hours = 600/12 amp hours (ah)=50ah.
    In practice you only get to use about half the battery's capacity, therefore a 100 ah battery will be sufficient to power the fridge for 24 hours, but add in the power for other hings (lights/ TV/ water pump) it is getting very tight. I suggest that 2 x 100ah batteries is the minimum.

The next question is will the solar panel provide enough power each day to recharge the batteries?
    On a UK winters day a 150 w panel will provide about 150w each day, on a UK summers day about 900w and on a beautiful day on the Costa Brave about 1500w. For a 100w panel the figures are 100w / 600w / 1000w. Remember the fridge uses 600w a day, plus some for TV etc.. For a 100w panel the figures are 100w / 600w / 1000w. So for UK use get a 150w panel.

So my answer is get a 200ah+ battery bank and a 150w panel.
    This gives you:-in UK winter a max of 2 overnights; in UK summer keep an eye on the battery and be prepared to move on if the weather is bad ; Spanish summer you’ll be OK indefinitely.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    Likes Ed on Toast liked this post
    Thanks Ed on Toast thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1997 Weinsberg Komet
    So, with my set up, a fridge freezer? and if so, where can i look on the internet for suitable fridge freezer, within my generation range?

Many thanks again

Ed

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger
    never mind all that technical stuff, why would you need to leave it on? turn it off at night and when it's not being used, and run it off EHU when you can. i don't understand this reliance in fridges , there's shops everywhere, we buy fresh and use it. if we have a glut of something , then a bag of supermarket ice will usually sort it
    too blessed to be stressed

r4dent is offline Mostly Harmless
    Name: Pete
    Spouse: Liza

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bailey Approach
    Quote Originally Posted by n brown View Post
    never mind all that technical stuff,
    "all that technical stuff" was an attempt to help a fellow member who wants to use his fridge whilst wild camping so no EHU. You camp your way and he'll camp his. Please do not criticize people who want different things to you or those who try to help them.

We have enough outside people saying what we can and cannot do, lets not be divisive within the group.

why would you need to leave it on? turn it off at night and when it's not being used, .
    Most fridges turn them self off at night because the fridge is cold enough. But if you do turn it off at night it may be a little warmer in the morning and use extra power to cool it down, so no real reduction in power consumption. Turning a fridge off at night is, in practical terms, pointless.

... and run it off EHU when you can.
    Most 12v fridges are just that ...12v so using they can't run on EHU. The battery charger would, of course, run on 240v but if he has sufficient Solar the EHU isn't needed.

Like I said this is about compression fridges, the use of absorption fridges is a different ball game.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1997 Weinsberg Komet
    Thanks NB for the additional options but I can't even remember the last time i bothered with an EHU, it is so long ago.

I have thought long and hard about it and would love to have a small freezer topped fridge, that runs on solar.

I just do not currently know enough about it, so hence asking more knowledgeable folk on here.

I have an existing space that is 20" wide and 52" high that I am hoping, after some good advice and pointers from folk here, will house a new combined Fridge Freezer.

This will mean my gas compsumption will be then only the Hob and BBQ point.

I have a underslung tank, so my gas is cheap enough, so it is not really a cost based change but to extend my 'Off Grid' time and also having a freezer that enables me to batch cook would be great. I am not wanting to just add a freezer unit to my existing three way fridge, that is an option i have considered and discounted.

Many thanks

Ed

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1997 Weinsberg Komet
    I am also considering adding a 12 volt and 240 volt immersion elements to my existing gas water heater for pre warming and or fast heating but I guess that is a whole new question to ask

Kind regards

Ed

Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed on Toast View Post
    I am also considering adding a 12 volt and 240 volt immersion elements to my existing gas water heater for pre warming and or fast heating but I guess that is a whole new question to ask

Kind regards

Ed

Ed we have a Waeco 110 compressor fridge and all heating is diesel which just leaves us with gas for hob and grill (BBQ when used as well). All through the summer we have had no problems with power from our 2 x 150W solar although I did increase leisure battery bank back to 270Ah. Our batteries are Powerframe 3 x 90ah. On our recent trip to Scotland everything was good from the Wednesday to the Monday without starting engine or EHU but by then we were starting to get low, the weather had been very bright with quite a bit of sun during the day. We moved from Moffat to Falkirk which isn't a long running time to charge as we have no B2B so batteries would not have been fully charged on arrival. We moved again next day but only a few miles across Falkirk and by the following morning we needed to get EHU. We were using the heating, our TV when we use it runs from its own rechargeable batteries so not draining overnight, we do charge phones, iPads, watches.

Booked a site on the Wednesday and we were on hookup approx 18 hours. Over the next days each of these places were a days travel: Tyndrum, Fort William, Mallaig. The weather was more what you expect in Winter overcast and dull predominantly with little sun but moved a bit each day. When we got up next day at Mallaig we needed EHU.

Ignoring what should happened and any figures in favour of what actually happened: If you get bright days in Winter it makes a massive difference, more than what I would have expected, If the weather is not good 300W of solar will give you a day and a half to 2 days before other power sources are needed.

The 110 fridge is bigger than you may think, it holds a massive amount of stuff, likewise the freezer box, this is because it is much deeper than a 3 way fridge so more internal space, yes 110 litres is the same anywhere but so much more usable space for the box size. For just you I would think a unit half this size would be plenty. Our 110 is rated at 45amps per day if that helps.

I am looking at what options will actually suit us but its not black and white for anything we have looked in to so far. We dont want to use hookup and more often than we will need to empty cassettes and take on water, do washing etc so ideally no more often that every 4 days. We would prefer to just empty, fill, wash without needing EHU at all.

Bear in mind though the days are not at their shortest yet so what we got over the last couple of weeks is not sustainable through winter. Hope this helps you a bit in your research
    Don't Worry, Be Happy

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by r4dent View Post
    I assume you have a 12v compressor fridge. If you have an absorption fridge forget the idea of running on 12v full time.

The first question is how much power do you use?
    A typical 12v compressor uses 500 – 600 watt per day.
    Therefore, to run your fridge for 24 hours you need battery capacity of 600 watt hours = 600/12 amp hours (ah)=50ah.
    In practice you only get to use about half the battery's capacity, therefore a 100 ah battery will be sufficient to power the fridge for 24 hours, but add in the power for other hings (lights/ TV/ water pump) it is getting very tight. I suggest that 2 x 100ah batteries is the minimum.

The next question is will the solar panel provide enough power each day to recharge the batteries?
    On a UK winters day a 150 w panel will provide about 150w each day, on a UK summers day about 900w and on a beautiful day on the Costa Brave about 1500w. For a 100w panel the figures are 100w / 600w / 1000w. Remember the fridge uses 600w a day, plus some for TV etc.. For a 100w panel the figures are 100w / 600w / 1000w. So for UK use get a 150w panel.

So my answer is get a 200ah+ battery bank and a 150w panel.
    This gives you:-in UK winter a max of 2 overnights; in UK summer keep an eye on the battery and be prepared to move on if the weather is bad ; Spanish summer you’ll be OK indefinitely.
    If you are using 500 - 600 watts for the fridge, you also have to allow as much again for other power - lights, heating fans, charging phones, maybe a TV. So you are looking at 1000 watt hours a day. In summer, there is no problem, but in winter, although you can expect an average of one hour's full sunshine per day, that isn't what you get. Some days you get theree hours, some days you get none. And the sun is at a low angle, so your horizontal panel misses about half of it.

So using an average of 1000 watt hours a day, to get through four consecutive days of gloomy overcast weather (it happens!), you need a usable 4000 watt hours of battery storage. Assuming a 50% discharge at 12v, that means you need 666AH of batteries.

However, to recharge those batteries up from 50% you will need to put in 400AH at 13.8v, which means the input has to be 5,520 watt hours, meaning you need 2,760 watts of solar panels to be able to recharge in four average winter days (by which time the fridge and other loads will have used power again anyway, so you need a vast solar array)

So in summary, you really can't rely on solar panels to power a fridge in winter.

I use gas.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information