Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Solar/fridge query

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by mistericeman View Post
    You obviously missed the bit about the 'crappiest part of the year"
    Nearly two weeks of off grid with no hook up.... Including fridge use AND all our cooking by electric.... In the depths of winter.
    Travelling each day between 50-100 miles or so to recharge the batteries to near as damn 100% (NASA BM2 reading)
    No hook up needed (or fitted for that matter) and solar doing sod all.
    No, I did not miss it: I specifically referred to it, and I referred to the fact that you are driving three hours a day. Try reading what I wrote.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by Fazerloz View Post
    Yes it amazes me at times. if I look on the cars trip the average is about 18mph. Recently 2 weeks in France with very good 250ml runs up and down M1 included and my average was 31mph and I don't mess about.
    Driving on .motorways significantly increases average speed. It just feels slow because it makes the journey so dull. I usually set the satnav to avoid motorways. What poi t is there in travelling g if much of it is just driving along boring motorways?
    Nevertheless, the average in the UK is 28mph.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabsim View Post
    Hmm, I drove 266 miles on Monday on unde 7 hours including Cazís ciggie stops.
    Get someone to explain what "average" means

Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    Get someone to explain what "average" means
    I donít need to thanks. I donít think it helps much as if you travel the distance quicker you will get less charge time. For topping up batteries it is time not distance that matters and I have just had a couple of weeks in a very quiet, out of season(?) Scotland where it was usually 50 miles in an hour travel time no problem. That meant on days with little or no solar the batteries continued to deplete without EHU
    Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Likes mistericeman liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW Caddy maxi
    Hello

I have a solar panel on my van.
    The fridge is a 30 litre compressor fridge and the panel is 60w with a mttp controller and a 100Ah battery.

I saw this article which is good https://www.jerbacampervans.co.uk/wp...2/MMMFeb12.pdf
    In summary its 1 watt of solar for 1 litre of fridge capacity.

I based my set up on this and it runs the fridge from around April till November, out side that theres just not enough sun hours.

Hope this helps

Phill

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridaphill View Post
    Hello

I have a solar panel on my van.
    The fridge is a 30 litre compressor fridge and the panel is 60w with a mttp controller and a 100Ah battery.

I saw this article which is good https://www.jerbacampervans.co.uk/wp...2/MMMFeb12.pdf
    In summary its 1 watt of solar for 1 litre of fridge capacity.

I based my set up on this and it runs the fridge from around April till November, out side that theres just not enough sun hours.

Hope this helps

Phill
    I have seen this supposed link between fridge capacity and power consumption before - it is just not the case.

I haven't read the full article and TBH probably won't as it sounds quite poor (gawd, sounding like HD now!). as an example, scanning though it, I see the comment "Cooling an 80-litre fridge takes significantly more power than a 40-litre one".
    Load of rubbish! Taking my own 94L fridge as an example, it uses an average of about 10W per hour. the makers of my fridge also make a 45L model using I would think the same compressor. The specs of that 45L fridge says it uses ..... exactly the same as mine.
    The running power of a fridge is not dependant on the size, although the initial cooldown period is, but that is a minor part of the total time.
    Find me on motorhomer.com, a Brexit-Free Zone
    Likes Nabsim liked this post

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information