CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scooter

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mobilvetta kea P65

Scooter

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hi, I'm looking at buying a new 125cc scooter to use when we visit Europe in the motorhome, rather than having to tow a car, I've narrowed the search down to either a Honda Pcx or a Yamaha Nmax, as anyone else got this type of bike?

I will be buying a UK specification model, does anyone else go down this route, rather than risking towing a car on a A frame, what's mods would I need to do to use it in France, Spain and Portugal. Will I need to put head lamp deflectors on it and will I need the French critair disk for it to use in France, wife fancy's going into Paris, thought we could stay on the outside of it and just go in on the scooter, it will be Euro 4 emissions with it been new.
    Likes peter palance liked this post
    Thanks peter palance thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one
    We have the Honda Vision 110 and it works well. It is plenty man enough for around towns and for longer journeys. We often park about 10 miles out of town and it does the job well. Ok a little more power on long inclines would be better, but the trade off is weight, particularly on the rear axle! We do have the Crit Air, but quite frankly, I would not bother as the French can’t even be bothered for their vans..Best thing we did was getting a scooter as you can park anywhere including pavements. You must consider and take into consideration safety clothing which is a must. This gear is heavy, I recon all the gear inc fuel and chains is probably another 50 kg.We have heavy and light air through jackets, inc Kevlar jeans. We wear shorts and t shirts under and just strap the gear to the bike. Helmets under seat and top box. Try parking a car in the middle of town on the pavement
    Last edited by grath; 07-10-2018 at 18:31.
    Tramping the Dream, Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine at the Rainbow end!
    Likes peter palance liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mobilvetta kea P65
    Quote Originally Posted by grath View Post
    We have the Honda Vision 110 and it works well. It is plenty man enough for around towns and for longer journeys. We often park about 10 miles out of town and it does the job well. Ok a little more power on long inclines would be better, but the trade off is weight, particularly on the rear axle! We do have the Crit Air, but quite frankly, I would not bother as the French canít even be bothered for their vans..Best thing we did was getting a scooter as you can park anywhere including pavements. You must consider and take into consideration safety clothing which is a must. We have heavy and light air through great, inc Kevlar jeans. We wear shorts and t shirts under and just strap the gear to the bike. Helmets under seat and top box. Try parking a car in the middle of town on the pavement
    Thanks for the reply, that's reassuring to know, have you been into Paris on yours by any chance.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one
    Please read my edited post, but no we donít do big cities!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    France is a far more relaxing ride than the UK the motorists generally seem more aware, that said Paris is a different proposition and I speak from experience a low powered bike /scooter with the addition of a pillion and the subsequent handling you are braver than me . Use the metro

London is a countryside bimble by comparison. Paris is the worst city I have ever driven in I am told only Rome is worse

Channa
    Likes grath, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one
    Agree with Channa(Andrew) we usually are two up and on a light weight machine it does effect the handling! You cant chuck it around!
    Our last two tours have involved multi trips to hospitals (Portugal and France) and the scooter has been invaluable! Even last week in Narbonne

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mobilvetta kea P65
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    France is a far more relaxing ride than the UK the motorists generally seem more aware, that said Paris is a different proposition and I speak from experience a low powered bike /scooter with the addition of a pillion and the subsequent handling you are braver than me . Use the metro

London is a countryside bimble by comparison. Paris is the worst city I have ever driven in I am told only Rome is worse

Channa
    Thanks for the comment, we usually go to Thailand for 3 months in January and have always hired a scooter for the duration, that is extremely busy too and very dangerous as the Thais seem to ignore all the rules, you have to drive defensively. I myself don't like city's, but the wife wants to visit Paris, so I said we would go, perhaps if I can get on a site reasonable cost site near a metro station would be the ideal way forward.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one
    Incidentally, years ago, i drove an artic to Paris, weekly and no way would I ride my scooter there, well not two up��It is just not nimble enough and not enough body armour for mrs
    Thanks Mobilvetta thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar Campscout Revolution
    Honda every time for me, Iíve had a PS125 but the SH125 is a great bike as theyíve dropped the PS now. I have a French Crit Air stoker for my current SH300.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault/ Burstner Delphin 821T performan
    We also have a Honda SH125 Mode, (engine stop option at traffic lights) its brilliant for 2 over weight and 70+, getting up the 1 in 4 hills to visit medieval villages, which we cant manage in our van. Under seat storage as well as a 30lit top box makes a trip to Lidl a doddle. Range with 2 up is over 110 mile per tank. It's great fun to be at the lights with engine off, then when the lights change just twist the grip and go and we can usually get ahead of most apart from the boy racers.

If you dont know where you're going, any road will take you there

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information