CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hymer won't start after sitting around

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW Crafter Motorhome

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by helen262 View Post
    On those old diesels they had a selonoid on the side of the diesel pump, going to it is one wire that becomes live when the ignition is on, so your farther could well have cut into this somewhere to make a cheap simple immobiliser, either check this is going live when the ignition is turned on or put a live wire directly to it or listen to it whilst someone else turns the ignition on you will here it click, or you can also unscrew it and take the plunger out as a temporary measure, it just means that you would have to stall it to turn it off
    Interesting. Here's the pump and it looks a little jury-rigged to me...

20181104_132542.jpg

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW Crafter Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by linkshouse View Post
    I can't help with why its' not starting but my Hymer is diesel and has what looks like a choke. I truth I suspect it works more like a manual throttle and allows me to keep it on a high tick over until it has warmed up.

Thats all said mine is based on a Renault (it's actually an Eriba Jet), just thought this may be something similar.

Phill
    I just traced the "choke" cable and it does indeed just seem to be pre-loading the throttle. That solves that mystery at least!
    Likes delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    I would say he's routed the two blue wires to a secret switch. Put the black direct onto the solenoid

Or, zooming in, is that blue just a link?
    Last edited by st3v3; 04-11-2018 at 13:36.
    Likes GilesO liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    B544
    if itís a diesel what is the choke for? , the red switch is like one i have its a keyed isolator in one position unlocked you can remove the key the other it rotates into through 90 degrees is the on position normally but as you say your dad may have second guessed the thieves,

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Avantgarde 140 💫
    I'm almost scared to put my head above the parapet on a technical thread and apologies if this is a really daft suggestion... but could it be some kind of immobiliser? My van's got one - it's nothing I ever have to 'set', it's just there and, once the ignition's on, I have to press a button on a separate little remote to allow the engine to start. The visual sign on mine is that the blue main beam light comes on with all the other lights when the ignition's switched on. Took Martin and I a while to work it out... we thought the battery was constantly draining somehow

Member Number
    Motorhome
    fiat hymer b564
    Quote Originally Posted by GilesO View Post
    Hi everyone,

Here it is, my first proper problem, and it's with my Father's Hymer. I need to get it started and unfortunately he didn't get time to tell me HOW.

I'm no mechanical idiot but I'm sure I'm missing something. It's been sat for 7 weeks now without being turned over. I've got jump leads on so there's loads of voltage but regardless of Choke position and fiddling with the throttle... letting it sit for a while... it just won't fire. After turning it over for a few seconds there is some smoke coming from the exhaust but that's it.

The only mystery is the red kill-switch in the attached photo (bottom left)... but that seems to link the leisure circuitry somehow.

It's a Ducato engine BTW.

Any suggestions gratefully received!
    Attachment 68319
    Giles
    Hi gilles, i seem to remember a post of your dads about having the glow plugs wired up seperate to the ignition.
    maybe looking back through his posts if you can will give the answer.
    good luck,,jon
    Likes winks liked this post
    Thanks GilesO thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Give us a picture of engine,seems like confusion whether its petrol or diesel.
    If diesel then a small squirt of easy start into the air intake will get it going,not to much now.

If petrol then the dist cap and leads will require drying with a hair drier plus inside of distributator cap, one lead of at distributor to confirm a good blue spark,dont pull of at plug to do this as at 35 th volts your eyes will light up,and as others have said turn over with no choke and pedal down,then only slighty touch pedal a small amount and turn over ,if it starts either small jabs of the choke in and out or fast small pumps of the throttle,ps chokes dont work half in or out,either full in or full out as they have a spring bypass when you rev engine before you push it in.
    Dont over crank a engine as you will bugger the starter,10 to 15 sec with a 5 min break between tries.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes big tom liked this post
    Thanks GilesO thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW Crafter Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    Give us a picture of engine,seems like confusion whether its petrol or diesel.
    If diesel then a small squirt of easy start into the air intake will get it going,not to much now.

If petrol then the dist cap and leads will require drying with a hair drier plus inside of distributator cap, one lead of at distributor to confirm a good blue spark,dont pull of at plug to do this as at 35 th volts your eyes will light up,and as others have said turn over with no choke and pedal down,then only slighty touch pedal a small amount and turn over ,if it starts either small jabs of the choke in and out or fast small pumps of the throttle,ps chokes dont work half in or out,either full in or full out as they have a spring bypass when you rev engine before you push it in.
    Dont over crank a engine as you will bugger the starter,10 to 15 sec with a 5 min break between tries.
    Here's the engine. 100% certain a diesel. It's a Ducato engine. About 1991 I believe.

20181104_132523.jpg

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW Crafter Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post
    I would say he's routed the two blue wires to a secret switch. Put the black direct onto the solenoid

Or, zooming in, is that blue just a link?
    I think it's just where he had to patch on a new bit of wire to make it work. I had my Mum turn it over and it does sound like the fuel pump is going.

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 13.44.26.jpg

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by GilesO View Post
    Here's the engine. 100% certain a diesel. It's a Ducato engine. About 1991 I believe.

20181104_132523.jpg
    Yes diesel so make sure the switch is set correct as it may be to cut the fuel of,as i said once thes is sorted a small squirt of easy start into inlet of air filter she will be away,good luck.
    Only dirty people wash

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information