CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hymer won't start after sitting around

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    If you have to put IPA, brake cleaner or (even worse) Ezy Start in, only do it once. Get the engine properly warmed up and check that it will restart again without sprays.
    If there is a starting problem, get it fixed rather than using starting sprays.
    As for a "choke", some just increase the idling speed, some increase the amount of fuel injected (I once drove a Bedford TK with that) and, yes, some diesels had a stop lever. But I think this will be an idle speed increase. Doesn't actually help starting.
    But it is important to turn the ignition on, then wait for the heater light to go out before turning the starter.
    Likes trevskoda, chas142 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    09 Fiat Ducato 2.3 Swift Mondial RL
    One thing I don't think has been said about using start assist sprays is that with Diesels the spray should be sprayed into the intake with the engine turning Not stationary. Petrol engines should be sprayed into the intake with the engine stationary and then try to start the engine.
    I am not going into the rights or wrong of using easy start. But it can be a good diagnostic tool if you know what your looking for.
    Plenty of trucks and heavy plant use ether starting systems. I wish it had been on the heavy plant I was having to start at 6am on the top of the pit stack in the middle of winter.

As for tales of start spray breaking rings how do we know its the spray that's broken the ring and not that the rings have broken and then the spray used to get the engine running. Then when the engine is finally pulled and broken rings found the spray is blamed for breaking the rings.
    Likes ironman, sparrks, chas142 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fazerloz View Post
    One thing I don't think has been said about using start assist sprays is that with Diesels the spray should be sprayed into the intake with the engine turning Not stationary. Petrol engines should be sprayed into the intake with the engine stationary and then try to start the engine.
    I am not going into the rights or wrong of using easy start. But it can be a good diagnostic tool if you know what your looking for.
    Plenty of trucks and heavy plant use ether starting systems. I wish it had been on the heavy plant I was having to start at 6am on the top of the pit stack in the middle of winter.

As for tales of start spray breaking rings how do we know its the spray that's broken the ring and not that the rings have broken and then the spray used to get the engine running. Then when the engine is finally pulled and broken rings found the spray is blamed for breaking the rings.
    I norm use carb spray as it is softer than e/start,when folk bring a dead outboard in as you say a quick squirt lets me know whether its a blocked jet in carb or no spark,a handy tool for the work shop but not to be used all the time where there is a fault,old engines relaying on it are in fact nackered though handy for a emergency and can also be used to blow a tubeless tyre onto a tricky rim with the aid of a ciggy lighter which is one of my old tricks.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes shadowdancer, chas142 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Iveco daily mwb high top panel van..
    on a lot of old diesels the "choke" or cold start actually alters the injection timing.

regarding easystart ive had a zetor crystal tractor since the early eighties .... its never done a cold start without a whiff of easystart into the intake manifold.... once its started once itll start allday without.. a couple of cans of easystart a year is cheaper than an engine rebuild.

nextdoor had a similar one for years that allways started perfectly however frosty the morning.
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by ricc View Post
    on a lot of old diesels the "choke" or cold start actually alters the injection timing.

regarding easystart ive had a zetor crystal tractor since the early eighties .... its never done a cold start without a whiff of easystart into the intake manifold.... once its started once itll start allday without.. a couple of cans of easystart a year is cheaper than an engine rebuild.

nextdoor had a similar one for years that allways started perfectly however frosty the morning.
    They get used to it like smoking giggys
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes ironman, chas142 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Well, I've seen Ezy Start blow a hole in a piston. That certainly wasn't there before.
    Whether or not it breaks rings, the potential is certainly there. Far better to fix the starting problem.
    Likes trevskoda, chas142 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Tribute 715

I know it breaks rings because it did it to a my works van, As i drove into the works one day the engine cut just as I was passing the garage that was contracted out but he still maintained all the fleet, We'll sort that out he said as I took my paperwork into the office, 10 minutes later i walked out to find him over the engine squirting easy start into it whist his apprentice cranked it over, I went ballistic, i hate that stuff. Sacked them off the job and looked it over myself, Fuel solenoid fuse had blow. Anyway, 1000 miles later the engine was stripped after it developed a problem and guess what the problem was, now that was not caused by the fuse blowing in the first place.
    Likes chas142 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by Herman View Post
    I know it breaks rings because it did it to a my works van, As i drove into the works one day the engine cut just as I was passing the garage that was contracted out but he still maintained all the fleet, We'll sort that out he said as I took my paperwork into the office, 10 minutes later i walked out to find him over the engine squirting easy start into it whist his apprentice cranked it over, I went ballistic, i hate that stuff. Sacked them off the job and looked it over myself, Fuel solenoid fuse had blow. Anyway, 1000 miles later the engine was stripped after it developed a problem and guess what the problem was, now that was not caused by the fuse blowing in the first place.
    1000mls later the engine was stripped. No way can you say for a fact the easy start caused the rings to break.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    Well, I've seen Ezy Start blow a hole in a piston. That certainly wasn't there before.
    Whether or not it breaks rings, the potential is certainly there. Far better to fix the starting problem.
    How did you see that. A glass head. Did you do a compression test before using the easy start. As you say yourself there is usually a problem otherwise the easy start wouldn't be used.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    It is very easy to identify a hoped piston without taking the head off, but of course the head had to come off to fix it.
    There was. Nothing wrong with the engine until a moron sprayed Ezy Start in. He hadn't given the heaters time to work.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information