Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery monitor

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    This looks the same as yours, but with a higher 150A current rating
    DC 0-120V 0-150A Volt Amp Watt Meter Capacity Percent Battery Monitor Test Meter 754610748950 | eBay

They all LOOK the same - I guess it is just the shunt that is different about them. They do look very neat I have to say and at the price could well be worth a punt.
    I think mine is probably a 60 amp one. It seems to be OK.

As far as other meters/monitors go, I tried these in-line on some Solar Panels so I could monitor what has happening
    Digital Monitor LCD Watt Meter 60V/100A DC Ammeter RC Battery Power Amp Analyzer 712190256203 | eBay
    They worked as expected but ... when I took it apart to check the innards the quality of the build was not very good. if the metal case was slightly pressed it would touch the the solder blob (rather than joint) on the positive connection and short.
    I have one of those. Seems to work OK for the things I've tested through it, but it is really more of a test tool than a thing to use as a display.

AC80-260V 100A LCD Digital Volt Watt Current Power Meter Ammeter Voltmeter BI507 4894663039127 | eBay
    The one above is an AC monitor - there are identical ones for DC and for different maximum current limits
    I suspect I have a DC one of these too, but I've never even tried it. I didn't think it measures to and fro current: only shows one direction, which is not what I was looking for at the time. But perhaps it does work with "negative" currents. Can you confirm?

Once which looks very interesting and I am going to get to see how the info matches my BM-712 is this device
    Wireless Battery Monitor Meter DC 120V 300A VOLT AMP AH SOC Remaining Capacity 732140270639 | eBay
    It doesn't use a shunt, you simply route the battery -ve cable though the sensor. It looks promising, would be very easy for anyone to install I suspect, and is cheap for what it promises. (just like HDs one, there are different options with different current ratings at slightly different prices). There are monitors identical to the one above that DO use a shunt however, so need to check carefully if you want one type over the other.
    That looks interesting, but in general I'm not keen on stuff that uses wireless links. Goes out of date too fast, or just goes wrong. Your subsequent review is what brought me back to look at this thread.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    These are good units which used a fair bit on general monitoring and solar panel monitoring
    AC80-260V 100A LCD Digital Volt Watt Current Power Meter Ammeter Voltmeter BI507 4894663039127 | eBay
    The one above is an AC monitor - there are identical ones for DC and for different maximum current limits
    I'm using one of these (DC version) in my van on the input to the Victron inverter which is on 24/7 so I can see how much power that (and the stuff connected to it) is using.
    It is great for that kind of specific job but the one Hairydog has is better featured if monitoring a battery.
    I wonder how similar that is to this one: Battery Monitor 6in1 300V 100A State of Charge SOC AH VOLT AMP Charge Discharge 732140263808 | eBay which seems to be more what I wanted. They do look quite similar in the display, but yours has one button and the one I found has two. What do you think?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    So to top things off 90% of folk on here are battery gauge watchers rather than go out play,if mine die i buy new ones,but im still going out to play,na na na na.
    A fair observation, but for me, analysing is a hobby of mine , so me doing this (and getting 'toys' etc, that are not maybe really neccessary) is part of the fun and enjoyment of the whole campervan thing.

Because of the way the forum quote system works, my replies (in red) will only make sense when referenced back to hairydogs post I am quoting
    Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    I think mine is probably a 60 amp one. It seems to be OK.

I have one of those. Seems to work OK for the things I've tested through it, but it is really more of a test tool than a thing to use as a display.

I suspect I have a DC one of these too, but I've never even tried it. I didn't think it measures to and fro current: only shows one direction, which is not what I was looking for at the time. But perhaps it does work with "negative" currents. Can you confirm?
    Single Direction only. You can reverse the two sensing wires to read reverse currents. I have used a pair of these with a single shunt, but with one set of wires reversed. You can in that way read the power/current and total power in; and the same again for outbound. Doing this can actually provide more info then many bi-directional meters

That looks interesting, but in general I'm not keen on stuff that uses wireless links. Goes out of date too fast, or just goes wrong. Your subsequent review is what brought me back to look at this thread.
    Ref wireless. I am not sure what that is about TBH. there is the little wireless-style symbol in the bottom corner but it is not a feature I am using. The hall sensor and a temp sensor (nice touch having that as standard - the Victron temp sensor costs the same as this whole monitor!) connect to a control box and the monitor connects to the control box via a USB Lead. The Control box also has 2 or 3 relays built in which is a nice touch.
    I reckon you can ignore the 'wireless' feature. The downside to this unit is you have to have the monitor pretty close to the battery (unless of course, you used a USB extension lead which I think would work ok). I'll maybe look at the wireless bit, but only out of curiosity rather than neccessity.

I wonder how similar that is to this one: Battery Monitor 6in1 300V 100A State of Charge SOC AH VOLT AMP Charge Discharge 732140263808 | eBay which seems to be more what I wanted. They do look quite similar in the display, but yours has one button and the one I found has two. What do you think?
    That looks good. On my similar monitor, the only setting needed was to select the shunt size (50A or 100A), so one button was good enough. Your linked one will of course need setting up for battery bank size so I guess the buttons will feature as up and down amongst other uses.

I wonder how long the cable to the hall sensor is? that could be a big limiting factor on placement. That could potentially be extended, but could also screw the readings as will change cable impedance (so probably not extendable in reality).

The seller in the above link was the same seller for the monitor I just got. It arrive in good time and well packaged, so that is a good sign.
    Find me on motorhomer.com, a Brexit-Free Zone
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Whilst it's a great piece of kit, I may have a BM-1 for sale at/after the New year meet at Hereford, for 50. I need to have a chat to Phil

Just in case that helps anyone out...
    Likes Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post
    Whilst it's a great piece of kit, I may have a BM-1 for sale at/after the New year meet at Hereford, for 50. I need to have a chat to Phil

Just in case that helps anyone out...
    50 for a BM-1 is a great price
    Thanks st3v3 thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    fiat-ducato ci carioca 694

you

Quote Originally Posted by Wooie1958 View Post
    Quite a few on here have Nasa BM 1 & 2 monitors Battery Monitors - Nasa Marine Instruments

They seem to be liked a lot
    you did,pj ok

chas142 is offline Full Member
    Name: Charlie
    Spouse: Angie

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Fiat based Hymer 524

Many Other Versions 50/100 amp.

It depends what you want to monitor. Monitoring the voltage is easy, but pretty useless on its own.

The voltage of a battery is only an indication of its remaining charge if no current has flowed in or out of the battery for the last hour or two. Which makes it an impractical measure, even though many people on WC seem to think it tells them something.

In theory you can calculate the state of charge by measuring both the voltage and the current, but the reality is that this is never accurate either, even with fancy calculations involving Peukert's formula.

The only worthwhile way is to monitor the current going in and out and try to keep track. This is fairly reliable as long as the battery is charged right up to the top fairly often, or run right down flat (not recommended!) However accurate they are, small errors can build up, so getting up to 100% from time to time helps keep them accurate.

As far as I can see, the Victror 712 is one of these, with the addition of a bluetooth bit to provide connectivity to an app.

The one I use (which works brilliantly, and has done for many years) looks exactly like DC Battery Monitor Positive Negative Current +/- 30A Voltage 120V Car Volt Meter 754610748905 | eBay which costs less than 15. But if you would rather pay more than ten times as much to be able to open an app instead of looking at a display, that's fine by me!

[Later] Mine must be a bit different because it measures charge currents way over 30A. Perhaps mine is a 50 or 60 amp one. I don't remember, to be honest. It was installed many years ago.

Good explanation Many different sizes of that meter on ebay, (once you find them), the 30amp version look like you would need to run your main input and outputs through the monitor, ok if your are fitting meter by battery or somewhere near those main cables, perhaps you had a shunt with your gauge. Another option I found there, following your link was:-

Battery Monitor Meter Wireless DC 120V 100A VOLT AMP AH SOC Remaining Capacity%% | eBay

Wireless and 25

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by chas142 View Post
    Good explanation Many different sizes of that meter on ebay, (once you find them), the 30amp version look like you would need to run your main input and outputs through the monitor, ok if your are fitting meter by battery or somewhere near those main cables, perhaps you had a shunt with your gauge. Another option I found there, following your link was:-

Battery Monitor Meter Wireless DC 120V 100A VOLT AMP AH SOC Remaining Capacity%% | eBay

Wireless and 25
    If you got to post #19 in this thread you will see a photo of that one in use that I posted (Battery monitor)

chas142 is offline Full Member
    Name: Charlie
    Spouse: Angie

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Fiat based Hymer 524

Ahhh

If you got to post #19 in this thread you will see a photo of that one in use that I posted (Battery monitor)
    No I didn't get that far. I must study 19> lots of information in there. Should have read it first.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by chas142 View Post

Wireless and 25
    Yes, any meter can only monitor one point where all the current passes through. The one you linked to can only monitor current in the wire passing through its hole. My experience of these hall effect sensors is that they are not reliably accurate, but I have ordered one of these: Battery Monitor 6in1 300V 100A State of Charge SOC AH VOLT AMP Charge Discharge 732140263808 | eBay, so when the Slow Boat arrives, I'll be able to compare.

The shunt or sensor doesn't have to be anywhere near the meter's display. Mine is installed in the earth cable to the battery bank, with a very long wire to the meter in the dash.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information