CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery monitor

Member Number

Battery monitor

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I am thinking of installing a battery monitor
    Does anyone have one installed are they worth installing any recommendations for make or model ?

I was looking at the vitron 712 with Bluetooth

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Rapido 987M
    suspect you're looking for something a little fancier than this,....I find it very handy.
    I keep mine pugged in all the time....interesting to watch the voltage changes under various conditions.
    hard to beat at £4.

Digital 12V/24V LED Car Cigarette Socket Voltmeter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

should check against a known acurate volt meter.... mine reads 0.2V under the true voltage.

Wooie1958 is offline Cupid Stunt
    Name: Hey You
    Spouse: Yes M`Lady

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    Quite a few on here have Nasa BM 1 & 2 monitors Battery Monitors - Nasa Marine Instruments

They seem to be liked a lot
    Trust No One
    Likes FringeDweller liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H592
    I have a BM1. Does what itís supposed to do.

Pat

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisb1701 View Post
    Does anyone have one installed are they worth installing any recommendations for make or model ?

It depends what you want to monitor. Monitoring the voltage is easy, but pretty useless on its own.

The voltage of a battery is only an indication of its remaining charge if no current has flowed in or out of the battery for the last hour or two. Which makes it an impractical measure, even though many people on WC seem to think it tells them something.

In theory you can calculate the state of charge by measuring both the voltage and the current, but the reality is that this is never accurate either, even with fancy calculations involving Peukert's formula.

The only worthwhile way is to monitor the current going in and out and try to keep track. This is fairly reliable as long as the battery is charged right up to the top fairly often, or run right down flat (not recommended!) However accurate they are, small errors can build up, so getting up to 100% from time to time helps keep them accurate.

As far as I can see, the Victror 712 is one of these, with the addition of a bluetooth bit to provide connectivity to an app.

The one I use (which works brilliantly, and has done for many years) looks exactly like DC Battery Monitor Positive Negative Current +/- 30A Voltage 120V Car Volt Meter 754610748905 | eBay which costs less than £15. But if you would rather pay more than ten times as much to be able to open an app instead of looking at a display, that's fine by me!

[Later] Mine must be a bit different because it measures charge currents way over 30A. Perhaps mine is a 50 or 60 amp one. I don't remember, to be honest. It was installed many years ago.
    Last edited by hairydog; 27-11-2018 at 22:52.
    Likes trevskoda, chas142 liked this post
    Thanks Chrisb1701, trevskoda thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisb1701 View Post

the NASA BM models have a lot of fans and one of the key features with them is the Big Display. they are a fair bit easier to see then the Victron BMVs (the display on the BMV is perfectly readable still. you just have to scroll through to see the different info).
    The Victron BMVs however are more capable and flexible and via the Bluetooth App all the info is available on your Smartphone or Tablet. That to me trumps the NASA units.

I have the BMV-712 and find it very good and worth the money. It is the unit I recommend over the NASA Marine BMs in the design builds I do.
    A nice feature of the Victron BMVs is the built-in Relay which allows you to control devices based on battery parameters you choose (I have mine setup so the [electric] water heater will not have power if the battery bank is below a certain SOC)
    Find me on motorhomer.com, a Brexit-Free Zone
    Likes FringeDweller liked this post
    Thanks Chrisb1701 thanked for this post

Member Number
    Yup went for the BM2 as the display is very clear and easy to read.... Been good as gold over the nearly 3 years since I fitted it.

Likes delicagirl, FringeDweller liked this post
    Thanks Chrisb1701 thanked for this post

Member Number
    Thank you all for your replyís given me a lot to think about I do like the bigger display and more information on the screen on the BM models

Back to reading some more reviews

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto-sleeper Broadway FB
    Hello
    I've an Auto-sleepers fitted Sargent ec480, are the mentioned displays superior in any way?
    Graham

The voltag

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by grahammay2 View Post
    Hello
    I've an Auto-sleepers fitted Sargent ec480, are the mentioned displays superior in any way?
    Graham

The voltag
    No question. MUCH SUPERIOR.
    Find me on motorhomer.com, a Brexit-Free Zone

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information