Obanboy666 is offline Full Member
    Name: Steve.
    Spouse: Widower.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Devon Conversions Tempest.

Battery has died.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Noticed late on Friday night at Mellon Udrigle that my battery voltage was down to 12.0 v and reducing rapidly.
    Turned everything off and Saturday morning batteries showing 12.5 v. Within 15 minutes of having heating and tv on voltage down to under 11.0 v.
    Now parked up on friends croft on Skye on ehu. I have 2 x 100 amp batteries, the original being 2 1/2 years old and the second I fitted 2 years old.
    I decided to disconnect the original battery and disconnected the ehu. At present running tv, skybox through an inverter and a couple of lights to check the connected battery.
    It was a 50/50 chance I disconnected the duff battery as after 2 hours voltage showing 12.72 v with a little input from my solar panel so at least Im ok for wilding when I set off home after new year.
    Will the battery I have left connected be ok or damaged by the Duff battery ? Should I buy a pair of new batteries or chance just buying one to pair up with what appears to be an ok undamaged battery ?
    Any advise most appreciated.
    The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - its all that matters.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    09 Fiat Ducato 2.3 Swift Mondial RL
    Don't you intend buying a new van soon? if so I would be tempted to buy one battery.
    Likes wildebus, Obanboy666 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fazerloz View Post
    Don't you intend buying a new van soon? if so I would be tempted to buy one battery.
    That would be my approach also (or even see if can get away with no new battery?)
    Find me on motorhomer.com, a Brexit-Free Zone

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    2.5 years is quite a short life for Leisure batteries and I know you don't hammer them.

What kind of batteries are they and what charger is fitted to your van?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    May well try getting away with no new battery as yes I intend trading it in this spring.
    Just totted up and Ive spent 67 nights wilding & 33 on cls this year.
    I use a Ctek charger for the leisure batteries which are Yuasa type. Without looking cannot remember the exact type.
    Regarding the failed battery, as its the original who knows how long it was laying around gathering dust at the converters before it was fitted into my pvc.
    When I get home I will get it checked out but looks like its caput.
    The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - its all that matters.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    hymer b544
    Quote Originally Posted by Obanboy666 View Post
    May well try getting away with no new battery as yes I intend trading it in this spring.
    Just totted up and Ive spent 67 nights wilding & 33 on cls this year.
    I use a Ctek charger for the leisure batteries which are Yuasa type. Without looking cannot remember the exact type.
    Regarding the failed battery, as its the original who knows how long it was laying around gathering dust at the converters before it was fitted into my pvc.
    When I get home I will get it checked out but looks like its caput.
    hi
    ive got a phone no. for someone who sells batteries cheap. he is in
    Newcastle. if you are passing that way on your way home its just off
    the A1. easy to get to. the no. is 07580368281
    Thanks Obanboy666 thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Why not just use one battery?

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by Obanboy666 View Post
    Noticed late on Friday night at Mellon Udrigle that my battery voltage was down to 12.0 v and reducing rapidly.
    Turned everything off and Saturday morning batteries showing 12.5 v. Within 15 minutes of having heating and tv on voltage down to under 11.0 v.
    Now parked up on friends croft on Skye on ehu. I have 2 x 100 amp batteries, the original being 2 1/2 years old and the second I fitted 2 years old.
    I decided to disconnect the original battery and disconnected the ehu. At present running tv, skybox through an inverter and a couple of lights to check the connected battery.
    It was a 50/50 chance I disconnected the duff battery as after 2 hours voltage showing 12.72 v with a little input from my solar panel so at least Im ok for wilding when I set off home after new year.
    Will the battery I have left connected be ok or damaged by the Duff battery ? Should I buy a pair of new batteries or chance just buying one to pair up with what appears to be an ok undamaged battery ?
    Any advise most appreciated.
    Well at a guess it could because of a lack of charging, virtually no solar input and the dark evenings with your amount of tv viewing.

Try charging the batteries with your ctek charger at home and then load them one at a time with say a headlamp bulb or anything that uses power such as you tv and see how long they last.

An easy option is to stay on electric hook up sites until you change your van.
    Likes Alf, Obanboy666, delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    Try disconnecting the dodgy battery completely. I am in the same position at the moment but I am waiting until just before our next trip before I buy 2 replacement batteries.

I removed and tested both batteries to find one was knackered. The other one was a bit better so I put it back in the van and it is coping OK (although I do put the van on hookup occasionally).
    Likes Obanboy666 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by maingate View Post
    Try disconnecting the dodgy battery completely. I am in the same position at the moment but I am waiting until just before our next trip before I buy 2 replacement batteries.

I removed and tested both batteries to find one was knackered. The other one was a bit better so I put it back in the van and it is coping OK (although I do put the van on hookup occasionally).
    Actually disconnected the dodgy battery yesterday and charged the remaining battery with my onboard Ctek charger.
    All appeared well running Tv, skybox through an inverter and the Truma heating for 4 hours and battery voltage holding up ok.
    So worst case scenario another battery to buy unless I just stick with one as Im trading pvc in spring time.
    Likes N/A liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information