Obanboy666 is offline Full Member
    Name: Steve.
    Spouse: Widower.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Devon Conversions Tempest.

How many amps an hour query.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I occasionally run a sky multi room box through a 300w inverter when I wish to watch a particular sky programme and was curious as to how many amps this is using from my leisure batteries.
    The only info on the sky box is - 230v 50hz 25 watt max.
    Being clueless as to how to convert, work out the amps at 12 volt etc I would appreciate any help in working this out.
    The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - its all that matters.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Motorhome (aka The Nest)
    Hi ya,
    In kinda round figures 12w = 1A @ 12v,,So you’re sky box might be say just over 2A ish
    Don’t forget to add your TV or Monitor !.

Then allow a little for the losses of conversions that you’re inverter will be taking.
    Last edited by Nesting Zombie; 01-01-2019 at 22:27.
    Thanks Obanboy666 thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika EcoVip 712
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesting Zombie View Post
    Hi ya,
    In kinda round figures 12w = 1A @ 12v ish

Then allow a little for the losses of conversions that youíre inverter will be taking.
    Perhaps the OP doesn't have a calculator so the answer would be 2 amps

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Using a inverter plus the other thing will bump up your amp draw,so depending size of inverter and other bits you could well be burning from 4/5 to as high as 10ah.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by Obanboy666 View Post
    I occasionally run a sky multi room box through a 300w inverter when I wish to watch a particular sky programme and was curious as to how many amps this is using from my leisure batteries.
    The only info on the sky box is - 230v 50hz 25 watt max.
    Being clueless as to how to convert, work out the amps at 12 volt etc I would appreciate any help in working this out.
    Well it's easy to work out the current consumption @ 25 watts, is it really that low ? Plus the consumption of your tv ?

BUT

it depends on the efficiency of your inverter and that would need to give us more information, it won't be 100% perfect.

I would guess the inverter is drawing at least 3 to 5 amps.

You could put a ammeter is series with the inverter to measure the power consumption.

And of course the power calculated would be effected by the age of the battery and how much charge it starts with.

My guess would be it takes at least 3 to 5 amps.
    Likes Obanboy666 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Oh well looks like I have 2 knackered leisure batteries and not one as I first thought.
    After disconnecting the original vehicle leisure battery which appeared knackered I charged the remaining battery with my Ctek charger and it appeared ok, I ran my tv, sky box and Truma for 4 hours and all appeared ok, voltage 12.60.
    Parked up tonight and as I wanted to watch the darts I used the sky box, Avtex tv and the Truma combi.
    All ok for 3 hours then voltage down to 12 volts.
    Battery is 100 amps and was fully charged after being on ehu for 2 days. Sky box 2amps an hr, tv approx 1.5amps an hour and the Truma was set low so approx 1.5 amps an hour.
    So should only have used a maximum of 5 amps an hour @ 15 amps in total.
    So looks like I will be buying one or two batteries when I return home.
    Whatís the best way to check a battery ?
    The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - its all that matters.
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by Obanboy666 View Post
    Oh well looks like I have 2 knackered leisure batteries and not one as I first thought.
    After disconnecting the original vehicle leisure battery which appeared knackered I charged the remaining battery with my Ctek charger and it appeared ok, I ran my tv, sky box and Truma for 4 hours and all appeared ok, voltage 12.60.
    Parked up tonight and as I wanted to watch the darts I used the sky box, Avtex tv and the Truma combi.
    All ok for 3 hours then voltage down to 12 volts.
    Battery is 100 amps and was fully charged after being on ehu for 2 days. Sky box 2amps an hr, tv approx 1.5amps an hour and the Truma was set low so approx 1.5 amps an hour.
    So should only have used a maximum of 5 amps an hour @ 15 amps in total.
    So looks like I will be buying one or two batteries when I return home.
    What’s the best way to check a battery ?
    Well you have in effect completed your battery check.

The way the tyre and battery places test them is they put them on a load tester, which applies heavy current consumption and at the same time watch the voltage drop, if the voltage drops too fast then the battery is duff.

You can test the specific gravity of the acid but so many modern batteries are sealed is the is no way inside unless you break the top open.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Motorhome (aka The Nest)
    (Plus’s a Fair few Amp for your inverter losses to add to that estimated total)

How about any Lights on, Phone Charging, Fridge on or whatever else in that time ?,,,it doesn’t take long to ‘Use Power’ does it !.
    But yeah probably a tired Battery Matey,
    Last edited by Nesting Zombie; 01-01-2019 at 22:56.
    Likes Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    I will just add to make sure you turn off the inverter whenever you can to stop the residual current drain.
    For something so low powered as a sky box at 25W, the inverter inefficiency could (depending on the Inverter) draw around the the same power again - so a 25W draw may actually be pulling 50W in use and 25W when the sky box is off but inverter is still on.
    Find me on motorhomer.com, a Brexit-Free Zone
    Likes trevskoda, Papillon liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Heading to a CS site with ehu tomoss for a couple of days so that will allow me to have Truma etc on then when I get home Iíll sort things out before next trip.
    Many thanks to all who replied to my querie.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information