CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Winter Solar

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Talbot Express

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Yes solar can work, providing you use gas for everything and solar to charge your phone/iPad, not even a laptop.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    swift
    N z, check out Phil's article on Motorhomer about solar in Winter. While at Hereford he took readings in different light conditions and did the same with Streetsleepers tilting set up. Interesting.
    Thanks Nesting Zombie thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunr68 View Post
    Is it ok to idle a modern diesel for long periods?
    NO
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes saxonborg, shaunr68 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Long term diesel idle meant to be a bad idea.
    I mentioned 15 minutes.... That long term? Not to me.
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by ricc View Post
    is bore glazing a problem on reasonably modern engines?

on a lot of agricultural tractors the engines are low reving ... typically 2,5k rpm max. a lot of the low power requirement power driven attachments are geared so that the tractors big diesel can run at about 1000 rpm all day long.... not that much different to a small (relitavely) van engine at idle.
    When a engine is under load the rings will be pushed out onto the bore and also hot which works the detergent in oils,sitting ticking over with no load wrecks engines and clogs up sensors and filters.
    I work all my engines hard and have clocked up 4 times round the clock on some with no bother.
    When i used to work on cars the troublesome engines or badly worn ones were mainly owned by old codgers and ladies how thought by driving slow were saving them,total tosh.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes saxonborg liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Motorhome (aka The Nest)
    Quote Originally Posted by jagmanx View Post
    We were to use MoHo in the winter (Which is very very unlikely)

I would look for an underslung LPG genny
    We do not have any room for a "portable genny"...if we did I would be interested in LPG
    Canal boat companies have them (LPG gennys that is)

OK expensive at first but then cheaper and easier than an external Petrol Genny.

I do not think that even tilting Solar (lots) and Lithium batteries would do the job in winter
    As has been posted a Genny is reliable

However when all is said and done EHU every few days might cost (including camping) 35 a week

OK a drip feed cost but maybe as good as anything as you also get water and waste.
    I appreciate NZ has other solutions foe W&W
    Hi ya,
    I agree, & my mate is only now coming around to the idea that after spending a fair few hundred pounds on a Solar harvest system a cpl of year ago in the hope to meet his power requirements while Living aboard his van & make life a bit more comfortable just hasn’t worked out for him.
    Power is ALWAYS on his mind, Especially for around 6 months of the year. I reckon that part of his problem is he hasn’t done a proper power audit aboard in order to fully understand his requirements since having the system fitted in June 2016, combined with not doing enough engine Hrs to subsidise the short fall. He has also killed 2 Leasure Battery banks (2x100a/h = 200a/h) in that time. Still he has just left now, with more Amps in his batteries than when he arrived, & has got an hour drive to his next park up so should be ok for tonight lol lol, I also thinking he is caught in a cycle of trying to justify the money he has spent on the installation & Battery replacement (maybe at a guess 900 or more) in what is now only just dawning on him as a bad decision for him to have done & still doesn’t meet his needs. He could have bought 3 decent generators for that !.

HEY !,,,,And he got away with not providing Dinner tonight!.
    Last edited by Nesting Zombie; 05-01-2019 at 10:39.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesting Zombie View Post
    Could a 3x150w Solar pannal installation (He has 200W & is thinking of up gradeing as its not enough) harvest an average IN WINTER IN MID UK 60A per day ?.
    I had a boat that had solar & Wind gen harvesting & Wind beat Solar EVERY week on average (I had a Rutland 913) & Loved it.
    He is just in denial lol lol lol.
    In the UK, you can expect one hour of sunshine per day on average insolation in winter. So a 200watt panel (which will be about 150 watts because it is flat) will give an average of 150 watt hours per day. Or about 8Ah per day. But of course there will be better days and worse days.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by jagmanx View Post
    We were to use MoHo in the winter (Which is very very unlikely)

I would look for an underslung LPG genny
    We do not have any room for a "portable genny"...if we did I would be interested in LPG
    Canal boat companies have them (LPG gennys that is)

OK expensive at first but then cheaper and easier than an external Petrol Genny.

I do not think that even tilting Solar (lots) and Lithium batteries would do the job in winter
    As has been posted a Genny is reliable

However when all is said and done EHU every few days might cost (including camping) 35 a week

OK a drip feed cost but maybe as good as anything as you also get water and waste.
    I appreciate NZ has other solutions foe W&W
    I do use my motorhome in winter (including right now) and I do have an underslung LPG gennie. I almost never use it. If you are sensible and use LPG for cooking and heating, do not use an inverter and have sensible battery capacity, there is no need for a generator. But solar panels are more or less useless at this time of year. A good b2b charger and a decent alternator will be enough, as long as you drive for about one hour every other day.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Motorhome (aka The Nest)
    Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    In the UK, you can expect one hour of sunshine per day on average insolation in winter. So a 200watt panel (which will be about 150 watts because it is flat) will give an average of 150 watt hours per day. Or about 8Ah per day. But of course there will be better days and worse days.
    Yeah that’s kinda what my view was in the conversation, In fact I said that it might be a good working average to adopt to take the figures over a WEEK rather than daily in the Darker Months & say it’s probably only harvesting 30A / 35A a week.
    I also said that Running your TV, Radio, Laptop, & EVEN using his CB all on a Nighty basis isn’t going to help lol lol
    Last edited by Nesting Zombie; 05-01-2019 at 11:37.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

As you say

Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    I do use my motorhome in winter (including right now) and I do have an underslung LPG gennie. I almost never use it. If you are sensible and use LPG for cooking and heating, do not use an inverter and have sensible battery capacity, there is no need for a generator. But solar panels are more or less useless at this time of year. A good b2b charger and a decent alternator will be enough, as long as you drive for about one hour every other day.
    But you have to drive for 1 hour
    So maybe 6 litres of Diesel at say 1.50 a litre = 9
    Cheaper to pay 3 EHU !
    It is a complex scenario and depends on members preferences/usage profile
    I was just suggesting that Solar alone is not enough
    You may cut down on charging items etc but heating uses both gas and battery/maybe 3x100Solar Panel and several batteries(@100 each) would allow 3 or 4 days and then go on EHU or drive as you say every 2 or 3 days.
    But you also fresh water and disposal !
    As I posted we do not use our vehicle in the winter (we "semigrate")
    But even in September we use EHU
    The rest of the summer we "wild" and have loads of power with a 120W panel and a single 85AH battery
    We use aires / stellplatz and will use EHU if we need and the cost is OK (eg 1 euro for ???)

Your underslung LPG GENNY is a great safety net ! as I posted ( in a sense ).

It would be of interest to know the cost (PM me if you prefer)
    Thanks

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information