Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Solar

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Motorhome (aka The Nest)

Winter Solar

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hey Guys,,,,
    I am currently sat here in a park up having a Cider or three with a very good friend of mine of many years & the topic has enevitivly got around to ‘POWER’ ,,,Now THAT in itself I find HELERIOUS as he is currently plugged into ‘The Nest’ as I have just started my Genny for 1hr to cook some Dinner (Jacket Spud & Pigion Brest, with Vegtable Curry) Heat the water tank, Charge OUR Phones, Laptops & all the other Re-Chargible devices we have between us as well as Give our Leasure Batteries a boost (he is VERY low on power at moment),,,So
    MY QUESTION -
    I welcome comments from members that can Be absolutely honest in their Solar harvesting IN REAL LIFE !.
    Spaciifically -
    Could a 3x150w Solar pannal installation (He has 200W & is thinking of up gradeing as it’s not enough) harvest an average ‘IN WINTER IN MID UK’ 60A per day ?.
    I had a boat that had solar & Wind gen harvesting & Wind beat Solar EVERY week on average (I had a Rutland 913) & Loved it.
    He is just in denial lol lol lol.
    Last edited by Nesting Zombie; 04-01-2019 at 17:10.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Phil and Rae will have data from Hereford that could help to answer your question.
    Fed up with the Whingers and Moaners. PMs Turned Off. Sayonara

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Motorhome (aka The Nest)
    Oooo Brilliant,,,Hope they pop by as I’m about to forget about my Jacket Spud Dinner & Substitute it with ‘Leg of Brian’ !
    Last edited by Nesting Zombie; 04-01-2019 at 17:31.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Motorhome (aka The Nest)
    & I’m currently matching my Genny at Around the .75lt an hour mark all be it with different fuel requirements!

Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    You already know the answer NZ
    Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Likes wildebus liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Motorhome (aka The Nest)
    That’s it, off now,,,Around an hour of Genny time has given a hot meal for the two of us, It’s also Charged Both our Rechargeable bits n bobs, it’s also Given Hot water for the washing up of dishes while the microwave & Forman Grill was on in correografed time Plus’s leaving us both with A Tank of Hot water in our individual vans water heaters for a wash tonight or whatever for a cost of 0.75lt of Petrol (Let’s say £1) cheaper than a camp site Electric charge in many a case & MUCH more dependable than Solar !.
    Oh I love my Genny lol lol.
    Last edited by Nesting Zombie; 04-01-2019 at 18:20.
    Likes Nabsim, yorkshireCPLE liked this post
    Thanks peter palance thanked for this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesting Zombie View Post
    Thatís it, off now,,,Around an hour of Genny time has given a hot meal for the two of us, Itís also Charged Both our Rechargeable bits n bobs, itís also Given Hot water for the washing up of dishes while the microwave & Forman Grill was on in correografed time Plusís leaving us both with A Tank of Hot water in our individual vans water heaters for a wash tonight or whatever for a cost of 0.75lt of Petrol (Letís say £1) cheaper than a camp site Electric charge in many a case & MUCH more dependable than Solar !.
    Yes there is just not enough sun in the winter.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesting Zombie View Post
    Thatís it, off now,,,Around an hour of Genny time has given a hot meal for the two of us, Itís also Charged Both our Rechargeable bits n bobs, itís also Given Hot water for the washing up of dishes while the microwave & Forman Grill was on in correografed time Plusís leaving us both with A Tank of Hot water in our individual vans water heaters for a wash tonight or whatever for a cost of 0.75lt of Petrol (Letís say £1) cheaper than a camp site Electric charge in many a case & MUCH more dependable than Solar !.
    What power Generator do you have?
    Fed up with the Whingers and Moaners. PMs Turned Off. Sayonara

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Motorhome (aka The Nest)
    2200w
    I believe!
    Last edited by Nesting Zombie; 04-01-2019 at 19:19.
    Thanks wildebus thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Frankia I650ED
    I have 300w solar which I think if you're parked on the equator on a clear day in mid summer should produce a theoretical maximum charge of around 22Ah. I'm spending the winter in Portugal with bright sunshine every day (I know, not smug at all) yet the sun is still low in the sky and it peaks at around 8Ah. Enough for my needs, but a few overcast days and it won't be sufficient.

In the UK, 450w on a typical dull winter day you'd be lucky to charge at 2-3 amps for 6 hours a day. He'd need more than 1Kw of solar to meet his requirements. All IMHO
    https://woollyramblers.wordpress.com/
    https://woollywanderers.wordpress.com/
    Thanks Nesting Zombie thanked for this post

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information