CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Thread: Good flexible solar panel....

Member Number

Good flexible solar panel....

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Having ruled out solid panels on our new Swift 590.....
    Due to needing Kayak rack/roof box on the rear rack, I'm left with the hump over the cab to site a solar panel...
    Ideally 200w plus (we had 2 x 100w solar panels on our Transit to charge 3 x 100ah leisure batteries) as don't want to have less power than we had....
    I'm intending 2 x 150ah leisure batteries underneath and a mppt controller to maximise charge potential...

Panels we have on the transit were very cheap and cheerful BUT never left us short....
    Happy to spend a bit more.... If anyone has any recomendations?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Galaxy Mercedes auto
    Quote Originally Posted by mistericeman View Post
    Having ruled out solid panels on our new Swift 590.....
    Due to needing Kayak rack/roof box on the rear rack, I'm left with the hump over the cab to site a solar panel...
    Ideally 200w plus (we had 2 x 100w solar panels on our Transit to charge 3 x 100ah leisure batteries) as don't want to have less power than we had....
    I'm intending 2 x 150ah leisure batteries underneath and a mppt controller to maximise charge potential...

Panels we have on the transit were very cheap and cheerful BUT never left us short....
    Happy to spend a bit more.... If anyone has any recomendations?
    Get some more recommend makes on them my friend here put one on he got from Germany and he said it was useless cost him i think 160 euros

Alan D is offline Free Member
    Name: Alan
    Spouse: Jo

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Drifter Motorhome

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto sleeper nuevo
    Problem with flexi is that is they can be destroyed by over flexing when fitting , check out fitting advice on photonic universe .check out the stronger more expensive etfe panels , flexible panels have a poor service life . mine has failed in ln less than 12 month's . mine was from Germany .160. 100 w.
    Last edited by molly 2; 04-01-2019 at 22:21.
    Thanks Alf thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW Camper
    I looked into flexi panels as I have a VW hightop.
    The panels can be found in boat fitters as are commonly used on small boats.

The problems are that they are more expensive and do not necessarily work as well as they have no airspace underneath.

I decided I should do without as I did not believe I used 500 worth of electricity.
    Likes trevskoda, Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    As above flexy panels seem to fail because of no airflow under them and as they get hot the current drops of,after a year or two many stop working.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    As above flexy panels seem to fail because of no airflow under them and as they get hot the current drops of,after a year or two many stop working.
    Semi flexible panels do seem to fail, but that's not the reason. The heat buildup is actually less than framed glass panels, because the roof surface acts as a heat sink.
    The premature failures are due to poor installation. Semi flexible panels MUST be installed so that they cannot flex in wind or vibration conditions. And that seems to be beyond most installers.

Thread Information