CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stable 240V output from inverter for Satellite box

Member Number
    Motorhome
    5 vehicles in four countries. Hobby in Germany, Airstream Cutter in USA, MCI MH & OKA 4WD in Oz,

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by oppy View Post
    Surely wild camping is not about fretting whether satellite tv is available or not, it's more about enjoying where you are . We had a system that we got when we were tuggers, so much of a faff, so we didn't use it, when we joined this group I offered it but no responce so it got chucked, which led me to believe that wild campers, like us, are content to maybe watch telly if it's available, otherwise just enjoy each others company and do stuff like we used to do before technology kicked in.
    Any other pass times and habits you feel the need to restrict us from. Perhaps smoking, or drinking? What about internet? Or eating fish and chips. Sex?
    Tony
    International Grey Nomad - currently Germany, Italy, England and Ireland
    Likes Obanboy666 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    I ran a Sky box for years on a decent quality 150 watt inverter without problems.

Do you really need an HD box? If your motorhome TV is not 32" or bigger, you will not really notice any difference anyway.
    Likes Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by maingate View Post
    I ran a Sky box for years on a decent quality 150 watt inverter without problems.

Do you really need an HD box? If your motorhome TV is not 32" or bigger, you will not really notice any difference anyway.
    I must admit I can't see any difference between SD and HD on my 55" TV (but then I am a fan of old B&W Movies and Old TV Series where "SD" would be a stretch when it came to describing picture resolution

Do Sky have any non HD Boxes any more?
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit

Obanboy666 is offline Full Member
    Name: Steve.
    Spouse: Widower.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Devon Conversions Tempest.

Just checked the multi room Sky box I have in the van, itís HD and 1/4 the size of an Sky HD plus box.
    So unless you need to record or pause which may not be available anyway without an internet connection why bother lugging about the Sky HD plus box.
    Nearly forgot, it uses less than half the amps versus the Sky HD plus box.
    The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - its all that matters.
    Likes Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by Obanboy666 View Post
    Just checked the multi room Sky box I have in the van, itís HD and 1/4 the size of an Sky HD plus box.
    So unless you need to record or pause which may not be available anyway without an internet connection why bother lugging about the Sky HD plus box.
    Nearly forgot, it uses less than half the amps versus the Sky HD plus box.
    Are the non Plus boxes faster to boot up? I have Sky+ (at home) and it does seem to take ages to be useable from a cold start.

Obanboy666 is offline Full Member
    Name: Steve.
    Spouse: Widower.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Devon Conversions Tempest.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    Are the non Plus boxes faster to boot up? I have Sky+ (at home) and it does seem to take ages to be useable from a cold start.
    Yes, considerably quicker.
    The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - its all that matters.
    Thanks wildebus thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer E690
    Quote Originally Posted by chas142 View Post
    I think you mean pure sine wave in number 3, not modified.
    3.3v, +5v , 0v, -5v and 12v outputs all are DC not AC, no such thing as DC sinewave !!!

chas142 is offline Full Member
    Name: Charlie
    Spouse: Angie

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Fiat based Hymer 524
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
    3.3v, +5v , 0v, -5v and 12v outputs all are DC not AC, no such thing as DC sinewave !!!
    I know that.:-) It was the way I read your post, sorry Asperger's Syndrome, can get a bit muddled at times with communication coming in & going out.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    I've posted a couple of these photos before but thought it might be useful on this thread to compare the kind of outputs that can be expected from various AC sources

This is I guess the target waveform - Standard UK Mains

AC Mains
    by David, on Flickr
    UK Mains is a nominal 230V +/- 10% and with a Frequency of 50Hz. My Mains Voltage is relatively high

This is the output from my Victron Multiplus Inverter, which is a Pure Sine Wave type - This is a High Quality Inverter

SineWave - Victron
    by David, on Flickr
    Sine Wave is indistinguishable from the Mains Supply

This is the output from my EDECOA 2500W Pure Sine Wave Inverter - This is a relatively Budget Model.

SineWave - EDECOA
    by David, on Flickr
    Not as good as the Victron but very acceptable I would say

Output from my Briggs & Stratton P2200 Inverter-Generator when under load - This is a middle of the road Generator

B&S Generator on Load
    by David, on Flickr
    This is a very clean PSW output and an ideal Voltage level as well at 231V. With no-load it is actually a little noisier in terms of the waveform.

Finally, this is the output from my 500W Modified Sine Wave Inverter - This inverter is a very cheap model

SineWave - 500W MSW
    by David, on Flickr
    A very square Modified Sine Wave output. The voltage calculated by the meter is just 208V - this is due to the waveform pattern. It does actually peak at an in-spec voltage.
    An output like this will actually be less efficient on battery use than a Pure Sine Wave Inverter and some devices will either not operate at all, or operate incorrectly (hums, buzzing, reduced power, etc.).
    Likes Henrym, st3v3 liked this post
    Thanks Henrym thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer van 522
    To be honest, I can't tell the difference between SD and HD on the TV in the lounge, a 40" unit. Local news is SD, national HD, I see no difference (I am getting on a bit....). If I get right up to the screen, pehaps I see a slight difference. I would happily have kept the old reliable Sky box. But one of the channels we pay for (a channel for a football club, my wife's interest) was stopping SD output, only HD, and we had the choice of either getting a free upgrade to HD or stop watching the channel. For domestic peace, I did the swap. I then had the problem of how to get the Sky+HD box to work in the motorhome. At least, it's not the 'New' sky box (Quantum or similar), so it has a co-ax output, or I'd have to change the TV!
    I only need a Sky box for premium channels, as the Icecrypt gets the freeview channels off Astra2 and some off Hispersat (useful if hills are to the SE or in Europe). It may be that I could use the old Sky box, by reassigning that to be the prime receiver (how do you do that?), but I would still not get the footy channel for 'she who must be obeyed'
    Keep them wheels turning,

Henry

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information