CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B2B Charger...Adding Solar

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T

B2B Charger...Adding Solar

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hi all,I'm going to install some solar panels after the winter but I'm not sure how many watts of solar my B2B Charger can take,can any of you electrical geniuses look at the specs and give me a clue? Also I was wondering if I can go over the max recommended wattage to account for low winter harvesting?
    Thanks,Dave

https://www.redarc.com.au/dual-input...attery-charger
    Sent From My Cheap Mobile Using Tapafatfinger.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1997 Lunar Road Star 570 2001 BMW 1150RS
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    Hi all,I'm going to install some solar panels after the winter but I'm not sure how many watts of solar my B2B Charger can take,can any of you electrical geniuses look at the specs and give me a clue? Also I was wondering if I can go over the max recommended wattage to account for low winter harvesting?
    Thanks,Dave

Can't help with your question really, just wondering how your canine nut nuzzler is doing, it's been quite a while since he met mine in Portugal
    When life gives you lemons, add them to your gin & tonic

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T
    Quote Originally Posted by oppy View Post
    Can't help with your question really, just wondering how your canine nut nuzzler is doing, it's been quite a while since he met mine in Portugal
    Hi Oppy,he's good as gold,just hit 4 years old and still a puppy *sigh*,thanks for asking,hope you and yours are all good.
    Thanks oppy thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Ace capri

may be some help

Hi . I don't know a lot about b2b charging but I think you may get some useful info from these guys . Motorhome/Caravan Servicing, repairs for most Battery Chargers they have a menu with b2bchargers half way through the list of options. may be an answer there? good luck. Dj

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1997 Lunar Road Star 570 2001 BMW 1150RS
    Hi Oppy,he's good as gold,just hit 4 years old and still a puppy *sigh*,thanks for asking,hope you and yours are all good.
    Struggling at present with our health, but hoping to get out to Iberia later in the year for a period so maybe the hound of death can threaten me again, he really is the most wonderful staffie type one could ever hope to meet, you're not so bad either, but your tea needs a few lessons !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    When life gives you lemons, add them to your gin & tonic
    Likes Asterix liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Avantgarde 140 💫
    Not being a genius of any kind, let alone electrical, all I can think of is to compare your B2B/MPPT with a spec that does show you maximum permitted solar input. This link is to a pdf giving the specs for Victron's 30A and 50A controllers... yours is bang in the middle isn't it?
    https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...-100-50-EN.pdf
    Please everyone no teasing if I'm just being dense... pretend I didn't post... nothing to see here... move along now blush.gif
    Thanks Asterix thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Thanks,Dave

Pretty sure it is 40A max for the Solar + Alternator, with Solar taking priority. The Output power is quoted as 600W (which pretty well ties up with a 40A output at 15.3V Max), but the maximum I have seen out of my Redarc BCDC1240 is around the 450W mark.
    With charger inefficiences, I would imagine you would be safe with upto 650W worth of panels (I don't know why Redarc don't make it clearer in their Manual what the Solar Specs are). What happens if you go over? I would think it will just ignore the excess just like it would ignore Alternator power over the allowed input but if you are putting that much solar on the roof, you might want to check.

I must admit I am not a massive fan of the combo Solar+Alternator units at the midrange power size. You will be maxed at 40A input when you are driving even if you had great solar available. If you had a separate Solar Controller, you could be getting 40A from the Alternator AND 40A or so from the Solar as well.
    Fed up with the Whingers and Moaners. PMs Turned Off. Sayonara

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    Pretty sure it is 40A max for the Solar + Alternator, with Solar taking priority. The Output power is quoted as 600W (which pretty well ties up with a 40A output at 15.3V Max), but the maximum I have seen out of my Redarc BCDC1240 is around the 450W mark.
    With charger inefficiences, I would imagine you would be safe with upto 650W worth of panels (I don't know why Redarc don't make it clearer in their Manual what the Solar Specs are). What happens if you go over? I would think it will just ignore the excess just like it would ignore Alternator power over the allowed input but if you are putting that much solar on the roof, you might want to check.

I must admit I am not a massive fan of the combo Solar+Alternator units at the midrange power size. You will be maxed at 40A input when you are driving even if you had great solar available. If you had a separate Solar Controller, you could be getting 40A from the Alternator AND 40A or so from the Solar as well.
    Thanks for that wildebus,I vaguely remember reading 600w somewhere but can't recall where so I think you've confirmed that at least. I went for the combined unit simply because I wanted to keep things easy as I'm hopeless with electrics,but I did like that it prioritised solar over the alternator,presumably giving the alt. a longer life.
    I might drop them an email and get a definitive answer on how much solar i can max out at,I'll let you know if I get a reply.

Member Number

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T
    Quote Originally Posted by mistericeman View Post
    I looked at that in the link I put up,maybe I'm not understanding it but I can't see anything relating to solar input?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information