Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ducato Sliding Door Partial Opening

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Absolutely disgusting!
    name the dealer who obviously did not do a PDI
    Tramping the Dream, Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine at the Rainbow end!

Member Number
    Difficult to tell and not good to get a new van in that state but it looks like in last 2 pics that all the roof is spotted with rust and I wonder could it be from someones use of a grinder near by or even when cutting roof for sky lights the bits from the grinder are molten and stick to the roof

Member Number
    I think it is from when the skylights were cut out, good point about the filings being hot from cutting & this would cause them to stick to the paint. I think this is surface rust but it covers the entire roof. Does anybody know the effect of surface rust on the paint will it get under the paint eventually. They are taking the van back & say they will try cleaning it off. Told them it had to be taken anyway but reserved the right to reject if not happy. To clean it properly for me they need to take everything off the roof, awning, skylights, solar panel aerial etc. then fully clean & treat it if necessary. Probably won't accept unless it is all removed to my satisfaction even then I would demand something in writing about any future signs of rust on the roof that they take it back for a full refund anything less puts all the risk on me. Other option might mean I have to get my Swift back & down plate it to 3.5t & think about what we are going to do next.
    Currently going to wait & see what they have to say after they have the van back, the only driving I've had is moving it on the drive, its not even registered on the DVLA website yet.
    Ed

Member Number
    If thats what it is the bits have burnt thru the paint and are stuck there rusting some lighter bits/dust have blow or been washed around causing the pooling effect you can see. I've seen this before the only way is for the roof to be sanded off removing all the rust specs and repainted. Good job you noticed it now not later as they could have said it happened else where. When I bought our first van after arriving home with it I noticed from a upstairs window that a vent cover was missing from the roof their response was you must have knocked it off under a tree I told them to come and check the mileage all M5 & A30 no low trees

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontiki View Post
    I think it is from when the skylights were cut out, good point about the filings being hot from cutting & this would cause them to stick to the paint. I think this is surface rust but it covers the entire roof. Does anybody know the effect of surface rust on the paint will it get under the paint eventually. They are taking the van back & say they will try cleaning it off. Told them it had to be taken anyway but reserved the right to reject if not happy. To clean it properly for me they need to take everything off the roof, awning, skylights, solar panel aerial etc. then fully clean & treat it if necessary. Probably won't accept unless it is all removed to my satisfaction even then I would demand something in writing about any future signs of rust on the roof that they take it back for a full refund anything less puts all the risk on me. Other option might mean I have to get my Swift back & down plate it to 3.5t & think about what we are going to do next.
    Currently going to wait & see what they have to say after they have the van back, the only driving I've had is moving it on the drive, its not even registered on the DVLA website yet.
    No convertors use angle grinders to cut openings, see my post no10, if you want conformation, check out the roof of another Ducato/Boxer/Relay, the joints in the roof have very large sealant runs on them, IIRC our XLWB roof is made from 12 panels and there must be a kg or so of sealant on it.

Member Number
    Pictures don't show it that good but pretty much the whole roof of the van is covered in spots similar to what you would get from grinding dust. When I looked closely none of the rust seemed to be coming up from the van, the places where it was worse were places where dust would collect if blown or washed. I'll be calling Elddis customer care tomorrow, the guy who picked the van up said Elddis say its a known problem?? I will try to get them to clarify what they mean. If its a known problem why is it still happening, to be honest its lucky that I was checked the roof when I did.
    Ed

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB
    On the roof there should be no sign of the actual seams, they should be completely covered in sealant, on your second photo the sealant appears to stop halfway across in front of skylight, the 'black square' next to roof bar mount should be completely filled with sealant.

Member Number
    Spoke to Elddis customer care, they said it wsn't a known problem? I'm trying to be generous & think maybe they think Elddis know. They said it needs to be addressed as a warranty issue & they are also contacting the dealer. At the moment after sleeping on it we are still considering our options, conscious of some of the problems if we reject it altogether, if we do maybe we would have to have our old van (not that old a 2017 Swift) back, I can't drive this now as I decided not to retain my C1 & the van is plated at 3.7t. My ideal is to get the total price of the new van but think the dealer might resist this. Demanda new replacement van, unlikely to get one quickly as it is a dealer special & these tend to be done in batches.

Waiting for response after the dealer has had a proper look to see what its like.
    Ed

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleeper winchcombe sprinter b
    As already mentioned it looks like it is from grinding, it needs some fall out remover spraying on then wash of followed by a good polish then everything will be fine

Member Number
    Spoke to the dealer today, they reckon to have cleaned about three quarters of the roof. They said they are cleaning it off & using a cutting compound (bit stronger than something like T-cut) Told them definitely not happy, explained all the risk would be mine if I accepted the van in that condition, the guy I spoke to thinks its from when the cut the skylights out using a disc cutter. So as somebody mentioned hot dust would melt slightly into the paintwork cleaning the surface discolouration doesn't necessarily get rid of the filing. Microscopic particles could be embedded in the paint, said it needed to be cleaned & possibly use a chemical to prevent any rusting then possibly respraying. They are trying to see if they can get me another van (least I know the first place to check if they do) but waiting to see what happens tomorrow.
    Ed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information