CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gas fire and wind direction.....

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500

gas fire and wind direction.....

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    i have never really understood how to get my gas fire to stay lit/ignite if i am parked in a very windy place. Some folks say "its the flue" and i have assumed that meant that the wind was blowing into the flue pipe which protrudes from my roof and puts out the flame as it attempts to light.

i think the fire gets a lot of its oxygen for its inital lighting because there are a lot of draughts come into the hab at floor level.

Do you guys think that the best thing is to move the van - if so do i park with the wind blowing towards the back of the top of the flue... or how should i park for a better outcome ?

thank you

Member Number
    Its just the wind blowing it out, you can't stop the wind blowing so all you can do is, go somewhere its not windy or put your coat on.
    Likes delicagirl liked this post
    Thanks delicagirl thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500
    Quote Originally Posted by harrow View Post
    Its just the wind blowing it out, you can't stop the wind blowing so all you can do is, go somewhere its not windy or put your coat on.
    i'd kind of worked that out harrow !!! but because i have not been up on my roof to inspect if my flue pipe has an angled hood on the top - i theorised, maybe wrongly, that if i turned the van to face a different way it might help... maybe that's just my illogical feminine way of looking at things !!
    Thanks harrow thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E
    Hi Coll, I had the same problem with my old Dethleffs, where the gas fire flue vented through the roof. i manue'd a device that clamped to flue outlet, which was basically a baffle plate device, which would be hand screwed to flue outlet, obviously on the wind direction side.

Never had cause to use it after making it, wind problem never happened again. There is a cure, though.
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.
    Thanks delicagirl thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500
    Quote Originally Posted by runnach View Post
    Hi Coll, I had the same problem with my old Dethleffs, where the gas fire flue vented through the roof. i manue'd a device that clamped to flue outlet, which was basically a baffle plate device, which would be hand screwed to flue outlet, obviously on the wind direction side.

Never had cause to use it after making it, wind problem never happened again. There is a cure, though.

Thanks.... my roof would be too high for me to hand screw a baffle plate on there - and i assume that if the wind direction changed i would need to rescrew it to a different direction....

?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Vantage Neo
    Might be worth searching narrowboat chandlers as many narrowboats rely on solid fuel heating in exposed areas.
    Likes delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E
    Quote Originally Posted by delicagirl View Post
    Thanks.... my roof would be too high for me to hand screw a baffle plate on there - and i assume that if the wind direction changed i would need to rescrew it to a different direction....

?
    I was fortunate, I had a rear ladder to roof. You need something like this, which can be adapted to your MH.

The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.
    Likes Alf liked this post
    Thanks Alf thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Tribute 715
    we used to have the same problem on our old Autotrail because we had roof rails running down each side of the van and the flue was level or just below these rails, the wind would swirl around on the roof and down the flue, simple cure was a flue extension to raise the flue above the rails.

Truma caravan motorhome AKV heater flue cowl chimney extension 30010-29400 FTE1 | eBay

Plus your gas fire is not fed oxygen from inside the hab, so the drafts won't affect it, The gas fire flame is outside the hab and heats the hab by transferring heat through metal so no poisonous gasses build up in the van, so check under the van where your fire is in case you have lost any bodywork off your fire.
    Likes runnach, delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    hymer b544
    hi
    theres a aluminium cover underneath it has a round outlet where
    you could fix a bit of trunking so the air inlet is tucked up out of the
    draughts.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Unless you know what you are doing I would be reluctant to start fitting baffles for the reason exhaust gases can be restricted and blow back down the flue. Most fires unlike morco style water heaters have no oxygen depletion sensor fitted for the reasons I have described above

The fire is technically room sealed and draws its oxygen from under the floor of the van possibly best place for a defector ondeed a lot are fitted with such you can tell by looking under the van beneath your fire

Channa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information