CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bus Conversion and driving licence

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100

Bus Conversion and driving licence

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I am loosely looking at acquiring a vehicle to convert, and getting a little carried away at some of the vehicles I am looking at, one for example a Leyland Tiger cub coach which has been used on the Magical Mystery tour Beatles trail in Liverpool ,retired from service pcv motd 12 months and finished Sgt Pepper style.

What I didn't realise and hence the post ,is under heritage rules because it is over 30 years old no more than 8 passengers it can be driven on a standard car licence , 21 min age and 2 years full entitlement irespective of weight

To benefit from this loophole any post conversion taxation class must remain a bus but there seems little advantage in changing class too

I know VWalan has mentioned in the past some weird licensing mot exemptions with 5th wheelers so I thought add this one to the mix as a bit of trvia

Worth noting this exemption only applies within the UK but European travel realistically is way off my radar at low mpg couldn't afford it anyway

Possibilities do open though lots of coaches with galleys on board toilets so basic essentials plumbed in to feed off the spare seats can be sold off 20 a time ,coachbuilt bodies and industrial type engines they start to look incredible value.I suspect dismissed by many due to size and perceived licence restrictions large vehicle yes but not if any larger than some of the German Concorde vans you see with pusher engines,

Practical considerations aside like where to keep such a beast they would make a great project, not having to worry about weights domestic appliance fixtures and fittings could be used to keep costs down rather than the over inflated prices of leisure vehicle gear

Common sense will proper kick in no doubt but thought it would be great to take you on this flight of fancy.

I have just missed out on a Merc Vario minibus used for schoolruns and fully tested, clean as a whistle plaxton coach built body extremely tidy and only being sold due to new terms and conditions of travel imposed by the educaton authority 3000 including vat sell the seats and disabled taillift a ratcliffe would make a dent on initial purchase cost, the only downside an auto box, 250000 kms so just run in

Channa
    Likes Alf, RoadTrek Boy liked this post
    Thanks shaunr68, peter palance thanked for this post

Member Number
    For me it's the LEZ's mean I can't buy anything like that where I live.

I was very interested in one of british telecoms cabling vehicles, comes in at less than seven and a half tons so I can drive it.

Classed as a workshop vehicle, mot test is not required.

photo_btopenreach_van1.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by harrow; 30-03-2019 at 08:18.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Frankia I650ED
    Following this with interest. I'm somewhere in the middle and potentially looking for a coachbuilt Bluebird/Mellor/KFS type minibus - best of both worlds I think, not too large and WILL be taken for long stints abroad.

https://woollyramblers.wordpress.com/
    https://woollywanderers.wordpress.com/
    Thanks channa thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one
    As an add on, I found out the other day that the(trial) proposed increase of GVW to 4250kg,for Alternative Fuel Vehicles (Electric) will only be for commercial vans and will not include Motorhomes
    Tramping the Dream, Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine at the Rainbow end!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T
    Sent From My Cheap Mobile Using Tapafatfinger.
    Likes channa, RAW liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Problem with most buses and meller vans is the single glass windows,best to get a fully or almost compleat panel library bus,plenty to be had at little money & make good campers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes hextal, mickymost liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Self build
    Channa, don't assume you will be able to sell the seats easily, a lot of converters have a job just getting rid of them
    Likes channa liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger
    had a couple of 9m single deckers,one of which i turned into a one and a half decker.
    8foot wide means loads of room to stroll about , and room for belly boxes and a massive roof rack means tons of storage too.great size for living in, and a scooter makes a good donkey for getting supplies or exploring. nice comfy ride too. one of them i had to remove and panel over most of the windows , but that was no big deal- in fact i did it twice as first attempt i decided the metal was too thin and wobbly .
    if you want a cheap roofrack , a piece of 9 inch weldmesh fixed to the roof with 30mm spacers means you can tie stuff on anywhere.
    too blessed to be stressed
    Likes Edina, Nabsim, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Who wants to do e an eight foot wide motorhome?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Landrover110 CSW / Bucher Duro 6x6
    To drive as a bus , as you state requires just a cat B , but it has to stay as a bus , (not motorcaravan on V5) it will also need a class 5 mot . (80+ ) with certain extra requirements eg emergency exits etc . Insurance is usually expensive , as you are driving a vehicle far larger than what you have been trained for ! Road tax should be PLG or PHGV depending on gvw . HTSH

BTW library vans are not buses , they are lgv , so require HGV licence to drive .
    Last edited by RV2MAX; 30-03-2019 at 09:11.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information