Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OBD scanner

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dethleffs 4 Travel

OBD scanner

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Anyone use one or got one?

Theoretically I could have saved myself £54 today if Iíd had one: the garage found an oil sensor was faulty by plugging in and finding a fault code and thatís what they charged for a diagnostic session. I know itís not always going to be that simple, but I wonder... a quick google shows scanners from £10 to £100 to £x00. Cheap ones sound as though they might be rip offs using out of date and possibly cloned software, but I donít need an all singing, all dancing jobbie.

Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions?

Thanks

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Avantgarde 140 💫
    Maybe have a read of reviews of various models on Amazon? I often get some useful info there

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dethleffs 4 Travel
    Quote Originally Posted by Minisorella View Post
    Maybe have a read of reviews of various models on Amazon? I often get some useful info there
    Yes, I looked and thatís what made me wonder if the cheap ones were too cheap...

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    What base vehicle have you got?
    The generic ODB Scanners only see and reset the "common" parts. To get more in-depth settings and readings you often need a brand-specific system.
    Autel is a common well-respected brand. But as a well-recognised brand, there are loads of rip-offs around (I suspect my Autel is a rip-off), including many on Amazon. If buying off Amazon, I would be inclined to chose one sold by Amazon directly as it will be easier to sort out if not right.
    Last edited by wildebus; 02-04-2019 at 17:42.
    Fed up with the Whingers and Moaners. PMs Turned Off. Sayonara
    Likes Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dethleffs 4 Travel
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    What base vehicle have you got?
    The generic ODB Scanners only see and reset the "common" parts. To get more in-depth settings and readings you often need a brand-specific system.
    Autel is a common well-respected brand. But as a well-recognised brand, there are loads of rip-offs around (I suspect my Autel is a rip-off), including many on Amazon. If buying off Amazon, I would be inclined to chose one sold by Amazon directly as it will be easier to sort out if not right.
    Weíre a Ducato...the code I got today was a generic one, but youíre right of course, that only goes so far. Our other vehicles are an Audi and a Peugeot so I think I need to prioritise - itís the van Iím bothered about.

Iíll have a look at Autel, thanks!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    Leave it to the professionals, a little knowledge is dangerous. It might not be the sensor it could be a loose connection or corroded terminal. These tools donít check components they only tell you where to start checking.
    Likes GreggBear liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    If later you wanted to do the AUDI, the system to get is VCDS which runs on Windows. RossTech are a main supplier of that but are quite pricey. I got a lookalike cable (via Amazon I think?) which runs on an old version of VCDS but it did everything required on my 2008 VW T5 (also worked on my 2003 LT but very limited as most of the Electrics are Mercedes).

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
    Leave it to the professionals, a little knowledge is dangerous. It might not be the sensor it could be a loose connection or corroded terminal. These tools donít check components they only tell you where to start checking.
    I would disagree very much with this comment.

Many Garages charge more than a Scanner costs just to tell you what you could have found out yourself. Fixing it is a totally separate thing and having the codes allows you to go in to a garage with much more confidence and knowledge of a possible issue.
    Likes trevskoda, yeoblade, Wully, saxonborg, time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Fiat PVC
    Cheap ones are fine, for an OBD scanner. You need to know what you are buying and what you want to achieve though.

An OBD scanner does what it says on the tin - connects to the engine ECU and can read the mandatory engine emissions related trouble codes which are defined by the OBD protocol and common to all manufacturers.

If you want to check for fault codes relating to other systems on the vehicle, it gets more complicated and progressively more expensive.

There are 4-system scanners, which can retrieve codes from the engine, ABS, SRS (airbag) and Transmission. Some are one make only, some cover several or (nearly) all makes. Some have additional functions such as the ability to reset service lights, oil change lights etc.

Then there are multi-system or all system scanners which can check every ECU on the vehicle - some vehicles may have 20 or more ECUs controlling different functions.

Some of these are single make tools, and can go pretty deep into the vehicle systems. MultiECUscan for Fiat for example, is in some ways more powerful that the dedicated tool that the main dealers use.

Some are multi-make and cover (nearly) all vehicles (again), but often with slightly less functionality. They tend not to have as much coverage for vehicles up to 2-3 years old as the software providers work on the assumption that such vehicles will be maintained in the dealer network for that period.

I have a cheap OBD only scanner that is perfectly functional and cost £9-99 from Amazon. I have MutiEcuScan for my MH, which cost 230 euros including a dedicated multiplex dongle to prevent having to keep swapping connection cables for different ECUs on the vehicle. I also have a Launch multi make scanner that costs a bit over £1K and does additional functions such as bleeding ABS ECUs, steering angle resets, injector coding and learning, etc. You can go up to £7K - £10K or more depending what you need...
    Likes yeoblade liked this post

Member Number
    Gendan Automotive Products :: MultiECUScan Package Chooser
    Have a look at this link they supply many scanners I have the multi ecuscan and can reccomend the firm for after sales support
    Likes yeoblade liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information