CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lorry and maybe motorhome blind spot regulations

Member Number
    Motorhome
    N+B Arto 69GL(2003)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabsim View Post
    Thats nothing to do with the topic though which is about all round vision. If I didnt have the extra mirrors for blind spots I would have pulled out on several occasions where it looks clear in main mirror but a car is actually alongside. Frightened me to death first time it happened that you could have a car that close and not see, of course it is a lot lower than my driving position. I think vehicles should be fitted with sufficient mirrors/cameras/technology to be able to see whats around, if the tech isnt there yet then fair enough post warnings but not if it is.
    I am uncertain whether when we are discussing 'extra mirrors' that we are talking about parabolic or kerbside mirrors, or both. Kerbside are useful for avoiding objects and certainly bicycles stationary alongside at traffic lights, but not much use for spotting overtaking/undertaking traffic until they are immediately under the mirror. Parabolic mirrors are in my view(pun) essential, and were the first things I added to my MH.

Parabolic mirrors give coverage in two ways which normal wing mirrors do not - firstly, as we are discussing they have a field of downward vision which picks up low vehicles alongside, secondly, they allow 45 degree vision when joining a main road/motorway from an angled slip road. To be effective I think they have to be the type which are about the width of wing mirrors, so neither the small stick-on types, nor maybe the small ones below e.g. Transit mirrors are adequate. I was fortunate to find ones from Merceded that had the same profile as the housing of our main mirrors so just bolted on.

Re Horses

Remember they were on our roads for centuries before cars - i.e. prior, as in priority? Just a thought. Probably none of them needed blinkers before motor cars came along to spook them. When overtaking a horse I do it with minimum revs and get 5m ahead before pulling back in - that usually gets a thank you from the rider.

Geoff
    Likes RoadTrek Boy liked this post

Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
    I am uncertain whether when we are discussing 'extra mirrors' that we are talking about parabolic or kerbside mirrors, or both. Kerbside are useful for avoiding objects and certainly bicycles stationary alongside at traffic lights, but not much use for spotting overtaking/undertaking traffic until they are immediately under the mirror. Parabolic mirrors are in my view(pun) essential, and were the first things I added to my MH.

Parabolic mirrors give coverage in two ways which normal wing mirrors do not - firstly, as we are discussing they have a field of downward vision which picks up low vehicles alongside, secondly, they allow 45 degree vision when joining a main road/motorway from an angled slip road. To be effective I think they have to be the type which are about the width of wing mirrors, so neither the small stick-on types, nor maybe the small ones below e.g. Transit mirrors are adequate. I was fortunate to find ones from Merceded that had the same profile as the housing of our main mirrors so just bolted on.

Re Horses

Remember they were on our roads for centuries before cars - i.e. prior, as in priority? Just a thought. Probably none of them needed blinkers before motor cars came along to spook them. When overtaking a horse I do it with minimum revs and get 5m ahead before pulling back in - that usually gets a thank you from the rider.

Geoff
    Sorry Geoff I meant parabolic but couldnt remember the name

Mine too are the Mercedes originals hat are in the same housing as normal mirrors
    Last edited by Nabsim; 06-04-2019 at 12:39. Reason: typo
    Don't Worry, Be Happy

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by grath View Post
    As an ex Trucker, also a car driver, motorhomer, motorcyclist, scooter ridder and cyclist, there are selfish idiots everywhere and on or in all forms of road transport.
    I have never driven a truck but I have ridden horses on the road so I feel as qualified as you to completely agree with that statement!

Richard
    Likes Fisherman liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    Quote Originally Posted by mark61 View Post
    Cyclist ride two or more abreast because it's safer. Motorist have to overtake them properly, rather than squeezing past and pushing them in the verge.
    Inconsiderate Road cyclists ride two abreast. Mountain bikers when forced to cycle on the road ride in single file and wave vehicles past when safe to do so. Road cyclists totally ignore other traffic when riding in peleton fashion trying to beat Strava times. Nothing to do with safety.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Sprinter
    Some mountain bikers are also road cyclists. I've been waved on by road cyclist, maybe because I show some consideration. It's done for safety, it's everything to do with safety.
    I am not suggesting there are no ignorant road cyclist, same as any other road user.
    Likes Fisherman liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    Some mountain bikers are also road cyclists. I've been waved on by road cyclist, maybe because I show some consideration. It's done for safety, it's everything to do with safety.
    I am not suggesting there are no ignorant road cyclist, same as any other road user.
    I’ve just driven down the A85 and on approaching Callendar i met a large tail back and what’s at the front a peleton of cyclists. If they had been in single file cars would be able to get past safely but they prefer to force cars overtaking into the way of oncoming traffic. Nothing safe about that. It’s against the law and very inconsiderate. The highway. Code states you shouldn’t ride 2 abreast on narrow or busy roads and the A85 is both narrow and busy.
    Last edited by caledonia; 06-04-2019 at 14:29.
    Likes yeoblade, yorkshireCPLE liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Sprinter
    Quote Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
    Iíve just driven down the A85 and on approaching Callendar i met a large tail back and whatís at the front a peleton of cyclists. If they had been in single file cars would be able to get past safely but they prefer to force cars overtaking into the way of oncoming traffic. Nothing safe about that. Itís against the law and very inconsiderate.
    It's not against the law to ride two abreast. Yes, sometimes it is inconsiderate.
    Don't go bothering to quote the Highway Code, an advisory does not reflect a legal requirement.

So, to sum up, it's done for safety, it's not against the law, and sometimes it is inconsiderate.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    It's not against the law to ride two abreast. Yes, sometimes it is inconsiderate.
    Don't go bothering to quote the Highway Code, an advisory does not reflect a legal requirement.

So, to sum up, it's done for safety, it's not against the law, and sometimes it is inconsiderate.
    We will have to agree to disagree on this one. 👍

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Sprinter
    Perhaps a link may help.. Of course I know not all cyclist are considerate, but when two abreast technique is used correctly it is better for everyone.

UK Road Cycling Laws and Rules Explained: Cycling Two Abreast
    Likes TeamRienza liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    Perhaps a link may help.. Of course I know not all cyclist are considerate, but when two abreast technique is used correctly it is better for everyone.

UK Road Cycling Laws and Rules Explained: Cycling Two Abreast
    I understand the law but on a road like the A85 when thereís a cycle way running along side from Callendar to Killin itís very inconsiderate.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information