CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Lorry and maybe motorhome blind spot regulations

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    In the first job I had which came with a Company Car (a few decades ago now ), the company started a policy of all company car drivers to attend a RoSPA Driving Course, which if I remember correctly was called a "Defensive Driving Course" as opposed to an "Advanced Driving Course" such as run by the IAM.
    It was a very useful course and seemed to be a lot more 'real-world' than the IAM type courses.

The motorbike tuition I did was along the same lines, with the recognition that in an argument between a motorbike and a car, the biker tends to be the one to come off worse irrelevant of who was legally in the right.
    This simple, if unfair, fact of life tends to be forgotten it seems, but I guess at least when someone is in hospital with a broken body, at least they can feel satisified that the other driver (unhurt and still driving around) broke more rules than they did.
    I did one when I was around 15-16, unfortunately it was ordered by a judge but nonetheless it was an experience that has served me well ever since.
    Sent From My Cheap Mobile Using Tapafatfinger.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Long lines of cyclists can pose a more difficult challenge to passing drivers. A more compact group of two-abreast cyclists can make passing easier and more predictable. A two-abreast formation is approximately the width of a car, and cars should pass them as if they were passing a slower automobile

In addition the overtaking vehicle where this situation arises spends less time straddling the opposite carriageway

1,5 is classed as the minimum that should be maintained when overtaking

Channa
    Likes Fisherman liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    Long lines of cyclists can pose a more difficult challenge to passing drivers. A more compact group of two-abreast cyclists can make passing easier and more predictable. A two-abreast formation is approximately the width of a car, and cars should pass them as if they were passing a slower automobile

In addition the overtaking vehicle where this situation arises spends less time straddling the opposite carriageway

1,5 is classed as the minimum that should be maintained when overtaking

Channa
    Yea, I've been stuck behind slow cars/tractors for mile after mile, that I haven't been able to pass. And I'll pass where a lot wouldn't.

I've been behind many single cyclists that I've pretty much passed instantly . Nobody has ever been hurt.

I've had to wait behind 2 abreast cyclists for longer than I would like to, because I'm now at a crawl, and don't have the momentum to pass, because I've had to wait for the other side of the road to be clear.

Every road user should just do all they can to get out of the way. I do, why can't you? The classic is someone turning right that blocks the road, when with better road positioning would be no problem at all. Cucumbers.

Today, I'm in the truck at just over 50 where cars can do 60, and I'm constantly on the lookout for traffic building behind me. When it does, I'll stop and let them pass. Much rather that than someone doing a risky overtake. Why can't everyone do that? Whatever type of traffic they are...
    Likes caledonia liked this post
    Thanks caledonia thanked for this post

yorkshireCPLE is offline Full Member
    Name: Carl
    Spouse: Helen, the better half...

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson Welcome 28
    Quote Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post
    Yea, I've been stuck behind slow cars/tractors for mile after mile, that I haven't been able to pass. And I'll pass where a lot wouldn't.

I've been behind many single cyclists that I've pretty much passed instantly . Nobody has ever been hurt.

I've had to wait behind 2 abreast cyclists for longer than I would like to, because I'm now at a crawl, and don't have the momentum to pass, because I've had to wait for the other side of the road to be clear.

Every road user should just do all they can to get out of the way. I do, why can't you? The classic is someone turning right that blocks the road, when with better road positioning would be no problem at all. Cucumbers.

Today, I'm in the truck at just over 50 where cars can do 60, and I'm constantly on the lookout for traffic building behind me. When it does, I'll stop and let them pass. Much rather that than someone doing a risky overtake. Why can't everyone do that? Whatever type of traffic they are...
    Comes back to manners, patience, courtesy for others. Sadly alot of time folk just don't have it the same as 20+years ago..

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkshireCPLE View Post
    Comes back to manners, patience, courtesy for others. Sadly alot of time folk just don't have it the same as 20+years ago..
    I seem to have said that 10 posts ago in post 55.
    Manners are sadly lacking in the whole of society now a days
    Tramping the Dream, Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine at the Rainbow end!
    Likes Fisherman, Nabsim liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson 510 welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by grath View Post
    I seem to have said that 10 posts ago in post 55.
    Manners are sadly lacking in the whole of society now a days
    Yes Grath, and poor manners and aggressive attitudes and driving lead to families losing loved ones.

Why, because someone was late for a dentist appointment, or they simply don’t like cyclists getting in their way.
    Last edited by Fisherman; 06-04-2019 at 21:52.
    If we all agreed there would be no discussion, and it would be a dull boring world.
    Likes grath liked this post

yorkshireCPLE is offline Full Member
    Name: Carl
    Spouse: Helen, the better half...

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson Welcome 28
    20 mins late in the life is better than 20 years early in tuther one...
    Likes channa, Fisherman liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson 510 welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkshireCPLE View Post
    20 mins late in the life is better than 20 years early in tuther one...
    Or better than years in custody, followed by the rest of your life regretting causing a death because you were either impatient or angry.
    If we all agreed there would be no discussion, and it would be a dull boring world.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    N+B Arto 69GL(2003)
    Well after 7 pages we know a lot about what people think about drivers of lorries, horse riders and cyclists, but have no answer to whether more mirrors will be a legal requirement for MHs.
    Likes channa, Nabsim liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
    Well after 7 pages we know a lot about what people think about drivers of lorries, horse riders and cyclists, but have no answer to whether more mirrors will be a legal requirement for MHs.
    I very much doubt extra after fit mirrors will be legal required.
    If and when extra mirrors are legally required, they will be fitted to new vehicles probably under construction and use regs

My after fit
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tramping the Dream, Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine at the Rainbow end!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information