CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Habitation costs

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mobilvetta kea P65

Habitation costs

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    When I bought my motorhome last year the dealer said that I would need an Habitation check once a year to keep the warranty. At the time of purchase they took me to the service department to introduce me and I provisional booked it in for a year later, the cost will be 235.00.

Is an habitation check a service or is it just a case to check that everything is working as it should. Do they also check for damp during an Habitation check. As the owner it would be obvious to me if something was not working and I would book it in to be fixed under warranty. Does 235.00 sound expensive and can you shop about and get say a mobile engineer to do it without breaking the terms of the warranty. If so can anyone recommend anyone in the Lancashire area. The Motorhome came with three years warranty and two years on the Fiat vehicle.

r4dent is offline Mostly Harmless
    Name: Pete
    Spouse: Liza

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bailey Approach
    Try Robbie at Aintree Caravan Services. He is mobile fitter approved by many makes (he has done my Bailey from new). Based in Liverool, depends on where in Lancs you are.

Aintree Caravan Services Ltd. - Contact Us
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    Likes Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

habitation checks / services

Are mainly a waste

They cannot predict / guard against
    a) gas regulator failure
    b) Fridge failure (Gas burner or Valve or Other)
    c) Similar

A mechanical service / MOT is worth the money..They check brake pads and change Filters and Oil and other fluids
    Again we can check the lights etc

Ok they can check heating and cooker and oven work. But anyone can do that
    The ONLY use IMO is a damp / water ingress check

It is an obviously tempting check when you have a new vehicle but......

PS I use "aintree" to install my Solar Panel etc in 2014...Still working 100%
    Last edited by jagmanx; 08-04-2019 at 13:05.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    A habitation check is a habitation check. There is no clear definition of what it involves, what it costs, who can carry it out, or what possible use it can be.

Unless you get a clear statement in writing that it includes some sort of specific service or specific check, assume that it is an entirely pointleess exercise intended to make money or to provide an excuse to not fufil the terms of a warranty.

If you value the warranty you have, it might be worth paying for the habitation check, but it may be better to save the money up in case of having to pay for repairs.

However, that is not to say that an annual check is not a good idea. I strongly advise you to get a damp meter (they cost about 10) and check the likely areas that might leak (which vary from van to van). Usually near windows and roof joins. Don't take much notice of the actual readings, becasue the numbers depend more on the construction materials than the damp levels: depend more on noticing higher readings in certain areas.

And check that everything is working properly regularly.

If something needs fixing, fix it, and make sure it is fixed properly, not just bodged.
    Likes jagmanx, Alf, trevskoda liked this post

Wooie1958 is offline Cupid Stunt
    Name: Hey You
    Spouse: Yes M`Lady

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    Daughter and Son-in-Law have just had a mobile caravan service engineer service their caravan and they very very impressed with him

They are away up Scotland in it right now but i`ll message them and get a price, name and contact number then come back in here.
    Trust No One

Wooie1958 is offline Cupid Stunt
    Name: Hey You
    Spouse: Yes M`Lady

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    Mobile Caravan Servicing, Repairs and Spares in North West by Adrian Tyldesley Adrian Tyldesely and the cost of a full habitation service was 135 done at your home / work etc. etc.

They were very impressed, very polite and punctual and more than happy to recommend him
    Trust No One
    Thanks Alf thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one
    We had our first hab service and damp check only a couple of weeks ago.
    I usually don't bother as I do most hab work myself, but I wanted to keep the warranty intact and a couple of warranty jobs. Our damp check includes spraying the underside with a lube. Hopefully, it will get into the corners.
    I paid in excess of 400, from the supplying dealer.
    This is the only hab service I have paid for in over 15 years!

edit
    440 inc vat
    I forgot to say, they also did a health check on the base vehicle, including such things as tyre pressures and wheel nut torque
    Last edited by grath; 08-04-2019 at 16:41.
    Tramping the Dream, Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine at the Rainbow end!

r4dent is offline Mostly Harmless
    Name: Pete
    Spouse: Liza

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bailey Approach
    Quote Originally Posted by jagmanx View Post
    Are mainly a waste

They cannot predict / guard against
    a) gas regulator failure
    b) Fridge failure (Gas burner or Valve or Other)
    c) Similar

The ONLY use IMO is a damp / water ingress check
    I agree but with Bailey (and poss others) .... No Hab check by approved engineer = no warranty.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika EcoVip 712
    I think this Habitation Check is a bit of a British thing its a bit like the dreaded British Specification. It's just that we are daft enough to pay it. The Laika needs a Damp Check once a year and the Dealer is 200 miles away so we include it in a holiday. They are flexible as long as it gets done. The Pilote we had from SMC in Newark only needed a Damp Check ( Thats all Pilote specify ) but they insisted that it also needed a Habitation Check as well and would not do one without the other so we went elsewhere.
    Likes Alf, yeoblade liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacar
    We took ours for its first check and was asked about any known problems to which we gave a list. Two points were dismissed out of hand, two weren't dealt with and three were done. I shan't bother next time and just rely on my own knowledge and common sense.
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information