CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motorhome vs campervan - Better heat and cold insulation on the 1st one ?

Beemer is offline The Big White Shed
    Name: Dave
    Spouse: Christine

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Eura Mobil Practica 690

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    We had an overhead bed Peugeot based Autocruise, before our current Fiat A class.
    The cab used to be the coldest area of the van, probably due to the single pane windows and (as I found out) the air vents in the doors, which I taped over in an attempt to stop draughts.
    Our A class has two front doors but no draughts, and the double glazed front side windows (including the door windows) must help with insulation. Our massive windscreen has an electric metal roller shutter which shades the front but could be a source of heat in the summer. I fitted net curtains to the front screen to allow light in but forms some privacy.
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bentley Ochre
    Quote Originally Posted by alcam View Post
    Pretty sure that sums it up . If you read the , reasonably informed , comments after the article the auto trader experiment above is almost completely discredited .
    Perhaps this article would be more in keeping with the scientific rigour demanded. Silver and white cars are cooler, says study
    2CV
    Likes martinmartin, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master (Self Built)
    As a former site owner in France where we also stored vans, heat inside the vans can be a very significant problem during the hotter summer months where we used to see temps. in the mid to high 40's C.

In my experience ventilation is the most important thing to consider, that and pulling down all the reflective blinds on the Seitz (or similar) windows, when it comes to ventilation, it helps if you have an air intake located in the coolest possible place i.e. underneath the van. The other important thing to consider when parked up is to deploy the reflective cab insulation which is just as good keeping out the heat as it is the cold.

I believe the best possible form of insulation is closed cell spray foam and it makes me shudder how awfully some vans are insulated, most especially some of the professionally converted panel vans where there chintsie furnishings are on top of some of the cheapest types of insulation I have seen!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson flash 510
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cv View Post
    Perhaps this article would be more in keeping with the scientific rigour demanded. Silver and white cars are cooler, says study
    Wasn't being 'rigorous' , your first link was shot down by virtually every comment for lacking credibility . Therefore not very helpful .
    New link seems better researched .
    Thank you

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB
    Wasn't being 'rigorous' , your first link was shot down by virtually every comment for lacking credibility . Therefore not very helpful .
    New link seems better researched .
    Thank you

The most 'researched' of the comments actually agreed that there was a difference between dark and light vehicles, but said other more scientific studies showed only a 7(?) degree differance

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Sprinter
    Don't think anyone is denying there is a difference, thats basic, dark colours absorb more energy. It's just how much the difference is.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson flash 510
    Quote Originally Posted by mark61 View Post
    Don't think anyone is denying there is a difference, thats basic, dark colours absorb more energy. It's just how much the difference is.
    Exactly . Very relevant to me right now . I suspect [prefer to think] the difference is bearable . I could be wrong but surely that is unlikely !

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Exactly . Very relevant to me right now . I suspect [prefer to think] the difference is bearable . I could be wrong but surely that is unlikely !
    Sorry, but unless you have exceptional insulation, you will probably decide you are indeed wrong. It makes a huge difference to the heat lost or gained by radiation.
    Last edited by hairydog; 15-05-2019 at 21:43.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by colinmd View Post
    The most 'researched' of the comments actually agreed that there was a difference between dark and light vehicles, but said other more scientific studies showed only a 7(?) degree differance
    If there is a difference (which of course there is), you don't measure it scientifically by temperature.
    What matters is how much heat energy is absorbed and how much is reflected when exposed to a given level of radiant heat.
    To be valid, the results need to be in heat units (such as watts per square metre), not temperature units (such as degrees).

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1993 570ffb classic tabbert
    Mark 61and alcan,in post 12 l clearly state a 10 degree difference between a black and a white car, and l don't know wether it was farenhight or celcius .l assume that your both blokes and not ladies suffering pmt.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information