CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Motorhome vs campervan - Better heat and cold insulation on the 1st one ?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Sprinter

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH55 View Post
    As an aside, thing thats always baffled me is why do the Taureg people in the desert wear black robes ??? Maybe they only venture out at night

I read something about that years ago, I checked up because I wondered why they wore that lovely indigo blue in the desert.

It's something to do with the design of the loose fitting robes that allows ventilation, and the dark colour absorbs heat given from the body rather than reflect it back, something like that. Might be worth checking again.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bentley Ochre
    I think that regarding Tuaregs, this explanation may be correct;

“If it were about the hot desert sun, white clothing would be better because it simply reflects away the heat and light. Everyone knows that a black surface gets hotter in the sun than a white or reflective surface. Far better for the cloth to not get hot at all, than for it to absorb heat and get hot and then have to insulate it from the body with more layers of inner clothing.

In fact, the reason for dark clothing is heat transfer in the opposite ddirection - from the body to the outside.

The body absorbs heat from the environment and also produces a lot of heat internally through metabolism. White clothing would simply reflect this heat back, accumulating it next to your skin. But dark clothing absorbs body heat and allows it to escape into the atmosphere, keeping the wearer cool.

But this is a delicate balancing act, and only works if the rate of heat transfer from clothing to environment is faster than the rate at which the sun warms the clothing. The primary methods of losing heat are convection and radiation, and convection here tips the balance. In short, it works because high and constant desert winds cool the clothing at a fast enough rate. It would never work without wind, when white clothing would be cooler.

Tuareg dress is the result of millennia of adaptation to hot, windy desert environments.”
    2CV
    Likes mark61, Biggarmac liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Sprinter
    I've driven through Awbari, a Tuareg town and a lot of people there, wear jeans and T shirts
    Likes 2cv, guerdeval liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson flash 510
    Quote Originally Posted by mark61 View Post
    I've driven through Awbari, a Tuareg town and a lot of people there, wear jeans and T shirts
    What colour [the jeans etc obviously] ?
    Likes mark61, guerdeval, Silver sprinter liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacarr E412

Black or white

Quote Originally Posted by alcam View Post
    Going back to PVC for a variety of reasons . Pretty sure coachbuilt are cooler but 10į difference between white and black vehicles ? Difficult to believe its that much
    Iíll believe it. On our barge you could walk on decks in bare feet on a sunny day where they were painted white, on a red painted surface you literally burnt your feet, dread to think what it would have been like on a black surface.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacarr E412

Keeping out the heat

One tip I discovered with hinge-up windows... donít use the Seitz pull down blinds as this restrict the amount of ventilation. Apply silver bubble wrap to inside of windows on sucker pads then fully open. This way you can have maximum ventilation and the raised window acts as a sunshade.
    Thanks alcam thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW crafter
    There's some kind of European set of regulations you can reference to find the insulation properties of your intended purchase unless you plan to d.i.y, no idea where to find it though, Wildax for instance comply to the maximum insulation measurement even though it's a van conversion.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Landrover110 CSW / Bucher Duro 6x6
    You don't see many black cars in Western Australia With panel vans insulation can only do so much , as its the number of thermal bridges that is difficult to deal with . laminated panels used in coachbuilts are far better insulators . Double glazing helps as well . Having solar panels mounted a couple of inches above the roof helps keep cooler , same principle as the old landy safari roofs. They use this false roof on the dongers in the outback in Australia , plus big aircon units .

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information