Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Driving with gear box friction?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1998 LHD Fiat Ducato 2.5 TDi CAT - Hobby 650 FSE

How's the clutch?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    What has been done?
    Live Life, Enjoy Life, Have Fun, You only have one.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Adria Sonic Supreme
    Thank you for asking. It only took 16 nights for it to get back to us! Corsica!!!
    We are finding the clutch very light to use and are watching each other’s feet to make sure we are not resting our left foot!
    The main thing is that we are both so delighted to be back in and in our home.
    The whole clutch kit was replaced. And when I checked it was the plate had burnt out. Too much riding the clutch on all the hills we opt to do, I guess.
    Just got to wait for the pay and claim on the accommodation… Minimum 60 days for overseas claims. 🤔Waiting to see if they argue about the amount of nights. I think we will have something to respond to that! And also we have a claim for the damage that was done by the low loader trying to pull a certain angle.
    All this out when admin work interfering with our lives.
    Thank you all for the mechanical advice.
    Likes trevskoda, yeoblade, mark61, QFour, Tezza33 liked this post
    Thanks Alf thanked for this post

The laird is offline Full Member
    Name: Gordon
    Spouse: Fonky fi

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer Travelvan 2*2 572
    Glad you are sorted now
    Thanks Clunegapyears thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Good you are sorted,just remember when driving rest the left foot to the side and never control the forward speed with the clutch,in shift gear and out as fast as pos,when moving of give the engine a little rev then release throttle and catch the engine with the clutch on decending revs as there is less torque.
    Hope the rest of your trip and homeward bound is blessed with no trouble ,regards trev.
    Only dirty people wash
    Thanks Clunegapyears thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika EcoVip 712
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    Good you are sorted,just remember when driving rest the left foot to the side and never control the forward speed with the clutch,in shift gear and out as fast as pos,when moving of give the engine a little rev then release throttle and catch the engine with the clutch on decending revs as there is less torque.
    Hope the rest of your trip and homeward bound is blessed with no trouble ,regards trev.
    Sounds very archaic having 3 pedals to play with. Find it much easier with two .. Especially in France with all their roundabouts.

Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by QFour View Post
    Sounds very archaic having 3 pedals to play with. Find it much easier with two .. Especially in France with all their roundabouts.

Autos use more fuel,lazy mans outfit .
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    I cannot understand why so many people hold a vehicle on the Clutch for longish periods ... especially on a Ducato which has a Clutch made out of Cheese. I had a Ducato 2.8 jtd on a 5 Ton Tag Axle van and I treated that Clutch like it was Royalty. It still had the original Clutch but I have wondered how the new owner drove it, I expect holding it on a hill would burn the Clutch plate out very quickly.
    Likes trevskoda, Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Used to be the case.... BUT a lot of modern 6 or 8 speed autos are now capable of better fuel economy than the equivalent manual box...

A nice auto is also a far nicer driving experience IMHO for most vehicles (obviously not a sporty little back road thrasher)
    Especially in heavy traffic etc

Days of clunky 3 speed autos are long gone.... Thankfully
    Likes yeoblade, QFour, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    Quote Originally Posted by mistericeman View Post
    Used to be the case.... BUT a lot of modern 6 or 8 speed autos are now capable of better fuel economy than the equivalent manual box...

A nice auto is also a far nicer driving experience IMHO for most vehicles (obviously not a sporty little back road thrasher)
    Especially in heavy traffic etc

Days of clunky 3 speed autos are long gone.... Thankfully
    Totally agree. Why manufacturers still make manual vehicles is beyond me. You won’t find many modern trucks with a manual box these days.
    Likes Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika EcoVip 712
    You are a little bit behind the times. We also have a Toyota Hybrid which is brilliant for driving round our local roads at 20mph. Try that with a manual box and you will be in 2nd or 3rd. The Fiat auto box is just a manual box changed by computer. It does have it's quirks but on the whole it's great. Far better than keep changing up and down the box with that manual twiddly thing and heavy third pedal

Likes trevskoda liked this post

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread Information