CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Solar panels, inverters, and how not to electrocute myself.

tugboat is offline Full Member
    Name: Geoff
    Spouse: Just me and my Westie.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacarr 725

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    If Miranda is going to fulltime, does this include over the winter months? Because solar will produce very little power when the sun is low or weather is overcast. I carry a generator as my 'get out of jail free' card in case of dire need while wildcamping.

I hope she has a good quality MPPT controller to maximise what the panels produce.

Hopefully the 12 volt sockets are supplied from the MPPT controller so that the batteries are protected from getting too low.

It's difficult to advise people on technical stuff via the forum without the recipient going onto overload so, as has been suggested, a meet with some experienced MHers for a weekend chat session would be beneficial I'm sure. I wonder whereabouts in the country she is?

Incidentally, I also advocate running as much stuff as possible directly from 12volt. Every time you change voltages with inverters there are losses due to voltage drop and generated heat, so keeping it simple is best.
    Last edited by tugboat; 08-06-2019 at 09:19.
    Likes Full Member, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1998 LHD Fiat Ducato 2.5 TDi CAT - Hobby 650 FSE

Wattage = power

Someone should understand power useage before trying to consider what connections are required. From knowing power the energy storage can be ascertained Then any Inverters or Converters can be identified.

Perhaps someone could create a sticky for the basics - Was that you volounteering Minsorella? or Tevskoda? I would but just packing the last bits before off to ferry Newhaven - Dieppe for a foray into Italy. See you all in 3 months.
    Live Life, Enjoy Life, Have Fun, You only have one.
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Avantgarde 140 💫
    Quote Originally Posted by ricc View Post
    im going to upset 50% of the readers with this.....but as a bloke ive never understood why women are addicted to hair dryers.
    Understanding is everything

frizzy hair.jpg
    Likes trevskoda, Clunegapyears, Biggarmac liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Avantgarde 140 💫
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanski View Post
    Someone should understand power useage before trying to consider what connections are required. From knowing power the energy storage can be ascertained Then any Inverters or Converters can be identified.

Perhaps someone could create a sticky for the basics - Was that you volounteering Minsorella? or Tevskoda? I would but just packing the last bits before off to ferry Newhaven - Dieppe for a foray into Italy. See you all in 3 months.

I've already exhausted my postage stamp knowledge of leccy

To be honest, I don't think highly detailed technical stuff always helps when people are just starting out... they often just need to get a handle on the bigger picture first. Judge your audience eh?

Enjoy Italy!
    Likes Stanski, Full Member, channa, trevskoda liked this post

Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    I have longer hair than most women I know and never use a hairdryer.
    Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Likes mark61 liked this post

Full Member is offline Full Member
    Name: Sir Colin
    Spouse: No Thank You

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleeper Palermo
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabsim View Post
    I have longer hair than most women I know and never use a hairdryer.
    I think the need or otherwise of a hairdryer may be dependent on length, Neil.
    But it is almost certainly dependent on quantity.
    Could this account for your lack of need?
    Just saying what everyone's thinking.......

Colin 🙂🙂🙂
    Likes trevskoda, Clunegapyears liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleeper Trooper LE
    Quote Originally Posted by ricc View Post
    im going to upset 50% of the readers with this.....but as a bloke ive never understood why women are addicted to hair dryers. if you want to full time with limited power get a shorter hairstyle so you can dry it with a towel and air dry simples.

its no different to anything else , we overnight /weekend in a panel van , the tin tent , only real difficulty is fridge... why do you need a fridge... after some thought about what and where we eat only real need is milk for the tea... drink water or herbal teas and you dont need milk so no need for a fridge,
    My hair is long but I very rarely use a hairdrier, and certainly never when camping. I find it creates static and gives me the look in Minisorella's post. I just comb it through and leave it. A good reason for having long hair, on the few occasions in my life when I have tried to wear it short I have found it is a real bother and needs time and various expensive chemical products to make it go where it needs to be, so I always give up and grow it again.

The fridge is a necessity. Not for milk as I never use that, but for my bread, butter and cheese supply. And to chill my wine.
    Likes Clunegapyears liked this post

Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Member View Post
    I think the need or otherwise of a hairdryer may be dependent on length, Neil.
    But it is almost certainly dependent on quantity.
    Could this account for your lack of need?
    Just saying what everyone's thinking.......

Colin 🙂🙂🙂
    Now now, donít beat about the bush, say what you mean lol fancy calling me a bald b*s#@&*

Never used a hair drier when the gaps were filled in Colin lol well never would be a lie but I doubt it would average a handful every year. I put this women getting so many split ends down to excess heat from dryers and straighteners, along with all those sprays that sting your eyes and make you cough

Anyway, do you use Mr Sheen?
    Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Likes Full Member liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Frankia I650ED
    In a nutshell I'd say to the OP that 200w of solar and two leisure batteries should be adequate for most people in the UK from April to September. See how you get on. Try to use 12v and gas alternatives to mains appliances and avoid any high wattage mains device especially ones that generate heat (fan heater, kettle, toaster, iron etc).
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika EcoVip 712
    What Miranda really needs is a 240v AC battery. That would solve all the problems

One thing you should remember is the plug in inverters are very low power and the 12v socket is normally 10A rated so 10A x 12v = 120W
    If your inverter is greater than that then you may take to much power from the socket and risk melting it. Ideally an inverter should be wired into the vehicle next to the battery bank with suitable cables.

As for all the kitchen equipment. You are talking about a camper van. You either need equipment that works on gas or off 12v supply. So your electric kettle can be a gas version, you can get a toaster that works on gas, use a tablet instead of power hungry laptop computer, use the oven instead of a microwave, hang your head out the window to dry your hair or have it cut short. Inverters consume a great deal of power which is very limited in a camper van especially during the winter months.
    Last edited by QFour; 10-06-2019 at 07:43.
    Likes Alf liked this post
    Thanks Alf thanked for this post

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information