grahamb is offline Full Member
    Name: Grahamb
    Spouse: Jean

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer exsis sg

Solar panel

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    This topic has probably been done to death.but I was wondering what was the optimum wattage of panel for 2 105 amp battery's to

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    DEpends on what you intend to draw,i have 2 100w panels feeding two 95ah batterys which they top up very fast in full sun mid day.
    running a fridge and tv and maybe a light at night will soon run batterys down to a level where the tv losses sound,fridge will easy run two days.
    Only dirty people wash

grahamb is offline Full Member
    Name: Grahamb
    Spouse: Jean

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer exsis sg
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    DEpends on what you intend to draw,i have 2 100w panels feeding two 95ah batterys which they top up very fast in full sun mid day.
    running a fridge and tv and maybe a light at night will soon run batterys down to a level where the tv losses sound,fridge will easy run two days.
    Fridge is gas heating gas hot water gas so just a bit of TV soaps for my wife lights for reading and charging phones etc

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner T660 Nexxo
    Better to err on the plus side as the panels will gradually loose their efficiency as we head into autumn and winter. The general rule of thumb seems to be 1watt of solar per amp/hour of battery capacity, however more solar is a bonus if you use your moho all year round.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1993 570ffb classic tabbert
    Quote Originally Posted by saxonborg View Post
    Better to err on the plus side as the panels will gradually loose their efficiency as we head into autumn and winter. The general rule of thumb seems to be 1watt of solar per amp/hour of battery capacity, however more solar is a bonus if you use your moho all year round.
    Your right but solar panels laid flat are ok in summer but in autumn and winter they should be angled towards the sun ,upto now I've managed with using less electricity in said months but it makes sense to detach my two 100w panels off the roof and angle them from the ground towards the sun so that's my plan for the winter.

Member Number
    Tilting makes a massive difference. On a clear blue sky day in early may my flat panels were making 7 amps. Tilted it went up to 17.

Here's how I did it:

Steve's super simple sloping solar | Motorhomer
    Likes saxonborg liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Frankia I650ED
    For relatively modest requirements as the OP has indicated just a bit of telly and lighting, I'd say that between 100-150w would be sufficient for short term wilding in the UK most of the year. Of course if you're away for a few weeks in overcast weather (and therefore inside watching tv for longer periods) you're not going to get much charge into the batteries so you also need to take into account where you do your camping and what time of year.
    https://woollyramblers.wordpress.com/
    https://woollywanderers.wordpress.com/
    Likes grahamb liked this post

Nabsim is online now Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    Quote Originally Posted by martinmartin View Post
    Your right but solar panels laid flat are ok in summer but in autumn and winter they should be angled towards the sun ,upto now I've managed with using less electricity in said months but it makes sense to detach my two 100w panels off the roof and angle them from the ground towards the sun so that's my plan for the winter.
    That’s fine on sites or meets but not always doable if off grid. If you are leaving your motorhome to walk/ride somewhere they can be tempting prizes to some. Great solution when sat around the van though. In high summer it doesn’t really make much difference as battery’s are normally charged mid morning on sunny days with flat panels on the roof.

I sometimes think I should have kept my second panel loose and just angled that in poor harvesting months but carrying and storing (without damage) decided me against it.
    Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Likes saxonborg liked this post

Nabsim is online now Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunr68 View Post
    For relatively modest requirements as the OP has indicated just a bit of telly and lighting, I'd say that between 100-150w would be sufficient for short term wilding in the UK most of the year. Of course if you're away for a few weeks in overcast weather (and therefore inside watching tv for longer periods) you're not going to get much charge into the batteries so you also need to take into account where you do your camping and what time of year.
    Yes I agree but with newer panels and the way you can always find something else you want to use I would go for the 245w(?) panels that are about the size of my 150’s
    Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Likes grahamb liked this post

Thread Information