CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Thread: Hello to all - Recommendations and Opinions Welcome

Member Number

Hello to all - Recommendations and Opinions Welcome

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hi everyone,

I am a newbie as you have already guessed, about to purchase my first MH. I am Glasgow based and have spent the last six years or so mainly having holidays in self catering accommodation up north. In a past life I have spent some time holidaying in caravans but now is the time to seriously consider a MH. My current preference is for something probably German and under 7m in length. Something suitable for myself, my wife and two border terriers. I will be visiting the NEC next week to get some further ideas. Most importantly however is to get my lifestyle right so that I can spend some time doing something that I think I will really enjoy. I am looking forward getting up to date on all MH opinions. Currently my preference is Hymer or Carthago.. (probably 4 berth). I would love a relatively new A class new but perhaps a they are a bit above my budget. Any thoughts ? Interested in opinions and recommendations of good experiences with dealers.

Cheers... Willie

Pauljenny is offline INTERNATIONAL PLAYBOY
    Name: erm?
    Spouse: Management, ?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bentley Indigo
    Hello and welcome.
    Wise move,joining this bunch.
    My limited advice would be to try different sizes at the show, go round local dealers, at busy weekend times, not only to look inside vans, but to talk to their customers,parked there. The more you enquire, the more you'll learn.

Big vans are ok, but do have limitations as to where you can go with them.
    Are you going to use your van for long terming ?
    Would you prefer mainly campsites, or wildcamping? Do you really need 4 berths? A fixed bed is often a waste of valuable space.
    There's always a trade off and be prepared to compromise.

We spend half the year in our 6.2 metre van. We can get it just about anywhere a Tesco delivery van would be able to access.

Good luck.
    Have fun and adventures.
    To the pure in mind, all things are pure
    Likes trevskoda, helen262, Justjack liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer Exsis t-588
    Good luck with your choice. As well as visiting the show it may be useful to visit a local campsite, there you can chat to owners and see how they live and stow their stuff rather than decide after looking at empty 'vans.
    Bd..
    Likes Justjack liked this post

The laird is online now Full Member
    Name: Gordon
    Spouse: Fonky fi

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer b544 and luv it
    Hi welcome and enjoy ,if you fancied a nosey at some vans/info at the end of the month we are having a meet at the Falkirk wheel pop along one of the days have a natter and Iím sure you would get great tips straight from the mouth and even a look in members vans if they donít object which Iím sure they wonít
    Regards Gordon
    Likes helen262, Justjack liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Welcome along from ulster,what i would say is try and steer clear of vans with a step in the floor level,fixed bed ok but lost space in a small van but it would be my pick.
    Try for either gas or oil blown heating/hot water,see if you can get the dealer to fit refillable under floor gas tank if possible,what ever you go for health to wear.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauljenny View Post
    Hello and welcome.
    Wise move,joining this bunch.
    My limited advice would be to try different sizes at the show, go round local dealers, at busy weekend times, not only to look inside vans, but to talk to their customers,parked there. The more you enquire, the more you'll learn.

Big vans are ok, but do have limitations as to where you can go with them.
    Are you going to use your van for long terming ?
    Would you prefer mainly campsites, or wildcamping? Do you really need 4 berths? A fixed bed is often a waste of valuable space.
    There's always a trade off and be prepared to compromise.

We spend half the year in our 6.2 metre van. We can get it just about anywhere a Tesco delivery van would be able to access.

Good luck.
    Have fun and adventures.
    Thanks for the advice. My interest was re-kindled about a month ago on returning from a couple of weeks holiday in Harris. The first thought was that I could replace my Touareg with a VW California, but after looking at them and having spent a lot of time up north we deiced that we would need something bigger to relax in during those rainy evenings with two very playful dogs! so after a bit of scope creep and looking at all sorts of MH's we reckoned we needed something a bit bigger. My wife likes to cook and we enjoy a bit of company hence the reason for a 4 berth. However it would be only the two of us most of the time. Everything is a compromise.

I understand the point of the big MH's being restricted but even some of the Panel Vans are 6.4m hence my thoughts are up to 7m but around 6m would be better especially on some of the smaller island roads.

Initially we will be using the van for main holidays, probably 3/ 4 weeks a year plus we would like to get away for 6 /8 weekends also. My intention would be also to do more as we are getting older and work is hopefully going to ramp down a bit. We are both in our mid 50's. The other though was to get one that I could use as a daily driver as I work from home, but that means a smaller van therefore probably a compromise as all things are.
    Thanks Pauljenny thanked for this post

Member Number
    Thanks for all the answers so far everyone, Laird, I note you have a Hymer B class, I love the look of them how is it?

Also did you all buy from local dealers. I see that Knowe Park in Livingstone are the local Hymer dealer and BC motorhomes the local Carthago dealer. Did you all buy local or did you go to where the best deal was available. If so are there any issues buying from a dealer who is say 250 miles from home?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    fiat ducato autostratus
    Hi and

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar Campscout Revolution
    Hi and welcome along. My advice would be to buy the smallest van that meets your needs. That might be any length but if it does what you want it's big enough.
    Likes trevskoda liked this post
    Thanks WDVAN thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    swift
    Hi,

Thread Information