CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here! First time in Scotland and first time for campervan wild camping

Member Number

New here! First time in Scotland and first time for campervan wild camping

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hello!
    Just recently joined as a full member! Will be 11 days in a campervan rental in the Scottish Highlands starting in late March (hopefully this is not a terribly poor idea with regards to weather? lol) Any advice regarding the Highlands or wild camping is much appreciated. Is there any wild camping etiquette I should be aware of? (I do lots of backpacking/camping and we have "leave no trace" rules in my country, I assume the same apply here of course, but anything unusual? Also if I understand correctly, any laybys are considered available for wild camping unless there is a sign stating otherwise?)
    Thank you!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer 694 - Renault master pvc
    Hello and
    When you don't care what anyone thinks of you, you have reached an awesome level of freedom
    Thanks chel514 thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autocruise
    Hi , Scotland is great for wildcamping as you say leave no trace and you wonít go far wrong, lots of off road places to park if it doesnít feel right then donít stay move on , the roads should be fine in late March will still be plod snow around which makes it all the more beautiful. Enjoy.

Old Git is offline Full Member
    Name: George
    Spouse: Marcia

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Talbot Pilote R610
    Hello enjoy

The laird is offline Full Member
    Name: Gordon
    Spouse: Fonky fi

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer b544 and luv it
    Quote Originally Posted by chel514 View Post
    Hello!
    Just recently joined as a full member! Will be 11 days in a campervan rental in the Scottish Highlands starting in late March (hopefully this is not a terribly poor idea with regards to weather? lol) Any advice regarding the Highlands or wild camping is much appreciated. Is there any wild camping etiquette I should be aware of? (I do lots of backpacking/camping and we have "leave no trace" rules in my country, I assume the same apply here of course, but anything unusual? Also if I understand correctly, any laybys are considered available for wild camping unless there is a sign stating otherwise?)
    Thank you!
    Hi welcome and enjoy scotland ,if you visit the kelpies you can overnight there but use the small car park
    This is central Scot,in fife you can overnight at Lochore country park ,elsan,fresh water ,showers in education block£2,small care google it and all activities are apparent,great walks and wildlife.
    Masses of places further north depends on your route ,many places to wild in the poi files .
    Regards Gordon

I should have said kelpies £5 about to overnight ,Lochore £10a night stay 4nights get fifth free
    Last edited by The laird; 10-03-2018 at 07:49.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master PVC
    Go west!

The west coast is stunning. Personally, my favourite place is Applecross. The short cut to get there over the pass can be quite daunting, but not too much to worry about, otherwise the longer coast road is equally stunning.

You will need to use a campsite at some point to empty your waste tanks, but apart from that, as you say, leave no trace. Also, make sure you follow the rules re giving way on any single track roads you travel on.

Enjoy! (and welcome to the forum)

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar Campscout Revolution
    Hi and welcome along. Fill up your fresh water tank at every opportunity. Most things you can muddle along with but not without greasy water.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    N+B Arto 69GL(2003)
    Hello and welcome

Scotland is a great place for wildcamping - pull up almost anywhere if not obstructing access or views.

You said 11 days, but not where you are starting from.

Progress can be slow on the beautiful roads, with passing places, so do not try to go too far - there are many beautiful places in a short distance.

I am a fan of the West Coast also - Applecross, Sheildaig, Red Point etc.

Get out of the motorhome - breath the air, walk the hills and beaches.

This information is coming from an Englishman in Poland, but we both want to go back to Scotland in the motorhome.

Enjoy it - if you do not, give up wildcamp motorhoming.

Geoff

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Gazelle
    Hi and

Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    Hi and welcome

We have gone to Scotland two or three times a year for the last few years and still loads we want to see. We have been renting cottages as a base then going about in the car touring round. It was the amount of motorhomes that were pulled up just about anywhere that got us thinking of a motorhome ourselves. 11 days isn't long so just chose an area you want to look round and then look at the POI's as The Laird said.

We like the Highlands at least once a year but most of Scotland is great and the folks are wonderful, I am sure you will love it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information