CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yank in a campervan

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hello Cindi and welcome. If heading to Gods Country (Scotland) East Coast is midge free territory.

If here late July into August, Edinburgh International Festival is ongoing, the city is a massive buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zone. There are campsites on the peripheral of the city, some further afield, but on the borders rail route into the city centre.

21 degree C at mine today, should be better in a few months time!!............Slainte.

Pauljenny is offline Retired Exotic Dancer
    Name: Not George Clooney
    Spouse: Long suffering

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bentley Indigo
    Quote Originally Posted by maingate View Post
    Instead of joining the Caravan and Motorhome Club, join the Camping and Caravan Club instead. For the period that you will be in the UK, there are lots of Temporary Holiday Sites. These are basic (only fresh water and Cassette emptying usually) but some are in lovely areas. For you, I would recommend the THS at York Cricket and Rugby ground. York is a fabulous old City to visit. These THS are in all UK regions. We use the THS a lot and you can find them on their website or download an App with all of their permanent Sites plus THS.
    Agree completely with this.
    Saved me the effort of typing.
    Full membership of this website, gives you masses of information about where to camp.. The Points of interest, POI.s .
    With C& CC membership, you can use their service points to take on water and dump wastes, then wildcamp in between.
    Read the forum, " How to Wildcamp ".
    Keep us posted of your travels, there's always somebody here to help..
    It's not where you live... It's HOW you live..

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner City Car camper van

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    THS I agree Jim a superb idea

Any member including the OP wants an unofficial tour of York happy to help. Never need an excuse to show off my own county !

I love York and the county unashamedly biased !! ....I suspect the OP needs a UK address to join any of the clubs happy to assist and let them use mine.

Visiting England is one thing the spirit and warmth of the North is another ...Why wouldn't we show off our little reservation

God made the world in 7 days after a practise run on the 8 th made Yorkshire complete with the pudding

Do I sound a tad biased

Channa
    I will probably take you up on that offer for a tour. After being on my own for so long, I would love to have help figuring out where to go and what to see. I joined the Camping and Caravanning Club with an overseas membership, so I didn't need a local address, but thanks so much for the offer!
    Likes channa liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome

Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by runnach View Post
    Hello Cindi and welcome. If heading to Gods Country (Scotland) East Coast is midge free territory.

If here late July into August, Edinburgh International Festival is ongoing, the city is a massive buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zone. There are campsites on the peripheral of the city, some further afield, but on the borders rail route into the city centre.

21 degree C at mine today, should be better in a few months time!!............Slainte.
    Yes! Scotland is high on my list! Any specific advice on where to try to book a spot in August, or is it already too late? Thanks!

Member Number
    Motorhome

In Italy

Thank you so much to all for the welcome and great advice. I joined the Camping and Caravanning Club.

I was waiting to get an email notification that I had replies to my post, but I only got one early on. Is that how it works?

Are Midges like mosquitoes? Do they respond to the same type of repellents as mosquitoes do? I use an essential oil repellent I got in New Zealand.

I am in Italy, near Genoa, after visiting Venice. Feeling exhausted and under the weather, so just hanging here for a few days to get rested and recharged. Next on to Nice and S. France. I think I will head towards the UK after that, and plan to arrive in about a month. Any advice on ferries? Which company/route/how far in advance is it necessary to book?

Overwhelmed by it all. No idea where or when to book places, so I guess I'll just stick to my current approach of flying by the seat of my pants! Totally out of character, but I've never taken on such an epic adventure before either, so lots of firsts here.
    Likes maingate liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Avantgarde 140
    Hello Cindi and welcome along

What an adventure you've undertaken... no wonder you're tired! I hope you're soon rested and ready for the next stage of your journey. It's difficult to advise on ferries because a lot depends on where you want to land because different companies have different routes. The cheapest way to cross the Channel is probably Calais in Northern France to Dover or Folkestone on the South East tip of England but there are more costly routes that would land you much further north to cut down driving time to Scotland, if that's important to you. I'm told that booking last minute isn't a normally problem, although July and August are definitely the busy season... but there are plenty of sailings each day and many ferry ports will let you stay overnight if you choose an early crossing. If you like the idea of meeting up with people, take a look at the meets and gatherings section of the forum to see if anything ties in with your plans. We're a friendly bunch and love meeting new people. Don't worry about the driving too much - just take your time and remember when planning that motorways and A roads are usually wider and easier than B roads, which can be quite narrow. Mind you, if buses and trucks can do it, so can you Our roads tend to be more congested than in the US or on the continent, so it takes longer to get from A to B than you might think when looking at mileage.

Oh and yes, midges are like mosquitos but smaller and more sneaky

Good luck and I hope you have as much fun exploring our side of the pond as I did exploring yours. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Minisorella; 16-05-2018 at 23:27.
    Likes Justjack liked this post
    Thanks Cindi C thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    autotrail imala715
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindi C View Post
    Thank you so much to all for the welcome and great advice. I joined the Camping and Caravanning Club.

I was waiting to get an email notification that I had replies to my post, but I only got one early on. Is that how it works?

Are Midges like mosquitoes? Do they respond to the same type of repellents as mosquitoes do? I use an essential oil repellent I got in New Zealand.

I am in Italy, near Genoa, after visiting Venice. Feeling exhausted and under the weather, so just hanging here for a few days to get rested and recharged. Next on to Nice and S. France. I think I will head towards the UK after that, and plan to arrive in about a month. Any advice on ferries? Which company/route/how far in advance is it necessary to book?

Overwhelmed by it all. No idea where or when to book places, so I guess I'll just stick to my current approach of flying by the seat of my pants! Totally out of character, but I've never taken on such an epic adventure before either, so lots of firsts here.
    You will find it difficult to wild close to the see anywhere along the Nice, Cannes and St Tropez area because of hieght barriers
    NEVER raise your hand to your kids,, it leaves your groin unprotected.

Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    I will start by apologising if you dont meet the age requirement but thought I would post about an email I got from C&CC yesterday in case you didn't get it. They have a special offer on for the period (or part of it) that you will be here, it does require an early booking but may be worth a look:

20% off Age Concession* - The Camping and Caravanning Club

Member Number
    Motorhome

No need to apologize!

Quote Originally Posted by Nabsim View Post
    I will start by apologising if you dont meet the age requirement but thought I would post about an email I got from C&CC yesterday in case you didn't get it. They have a special offer on for the period (or part of it) that you will be here, it does require an early booking but may be worth a look:

20% off Age Concession* - The Camping and Caravanning Club
    Just turned 62 and I saw that on the site. Thanks!

Member Number
    Motorhome

Height?

Quote Originally Posted by rockape View Post
    You will find it difficult to wild close to the see anywhere along the Nice, Cannes and St Tropez area because of hieght barriers
    I'm not sure I understand the comment. What height barriers?

Actually, I prefer pay campgrounds, as I'm traveling alone and like the security, as well as the other amenities. Haven't taken a shower in this thing yet, and not really wanting to. I was thinking that wild camping would be more of a fall back for me, rather than the primary goal. Not worried about the expense.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information