Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yank in a campervan

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner City Car camper van

Yank in a campervan

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hi,

I am a retired teacher, from Arizona, in the United States, who decided to have an epic European adventure. I rented a camper van for 7 months, and am currently in Genoa, Italy, traveling by myself. I started out in Amsterdam, and have been on the road since April 18. Previously, I have only camped with friends who have motor homes, in the States, so the learning curve is steep. There have been some major rough spots, but I'm starting to feel like I know what I'm doing a little, at this point. I have no real plan, only tentative ideas, of where I want to go. There is nothing specific I need to do, other than just being immersed in other cultures. I've had lots of positive experiences so far.

I need to leave the Schengen Zone for 3 months, so I decided to head for the UK and Ireland in July. I have heard conflicting information about the importance of making reservations--especially for July and August. I love having the flexibility to change my plans, and be spontaneous, so I'm wondering if I am being foolish not making firm plans. I would love to hear opinions on this. I have the app **********, which I might try tomorrow, because I am having no luck finding an opening at a campground near Cinque Terre. Cost of sites are not as important as being safe and comfortable.

For a while, I thought I would spend the 3 months in Croatia, instead of the UK, in part because I'm a little nervous about driving on the other side of the road with a left hand wheel. I have driven on the other side, in Ireland for a week, and New Zealand, for a few weeks, with no real problem, but this thing is big (6 meters long) and I'm already a bit uneasy driving it here (although I'm getting better, I think).

From here, after Cinque Terre, and Positano, I plan to head to Nice, and spend some time in Southern France, then Spain, and Portugal, before heading to the UK. I welcome any and all advice and tips. Thanks in advance!

Cindi
    Likes EL Sid, FringeDweller, Martlet liked this post

Member Number
    Hello and welcome. Not a good time to be travelling in the UK (last week of July to 1st week of September)n due to the school holidays and high prices. I guess people living in the more remote parts might be able to help, the highlands of Scotland are a great place to visit but not then (more so because of the midges) Ireland might be better............, locals please comment.
    Thanks Cindi C thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Merc sprinter elwb van still to convert
    Hi welcome and enjoy

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar Campscout Revolution
    Hi and welcome along,trip sounds great. Re site booking many will be full during mid July to the end of August especially in coastal areas. However some smaller sites will have space but they may not be just where you want them. You could consider joining the Motorhome and Caravan Club and using there small CL (certified location) sites, max 5 vans in each which usually have some space. Or wild camp which this site is all about.

Member Number
    Hello

I think booking for the more desirable locations (seaside, natural beauty) would be a good idea at that time of year to avoid disappointment. It's the kid's school holiday's here then so that is when most UK families go to sites.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Wildcamping in the UK sometimes is a bit of an artform, whilst feasible it varies from area to area.

British attitude on occasion is as unsual as our desire to insist we drive on the left ultimately we are islanders and have some peculiar ideas which reflect that

Don't be put off though, it would be worth joining the caravan club and that gives you access to 1000,s of small sites that hold no more than 5 vans. It is a useful "peace of mind" especially in the tourist honey pots.

School holidays are an issue if only the fact prices shoot up and sites get full, not withstanding the smaller sites as mentioned tend not to attract families with children and many don't accept children (for insurance reasons especially if there is water)

Channa
    Likes Cindi C liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    Instead of joining the Caravan and Motorhome Club, join the Camping and Caravan Club instead. For the period that you will be in the UK, there are lots of Temporary Holiday Sites. These are basic (only fresh water and Cassette emptying usually) but some are in lovely areas. For you, I would recommend the THS at York Cricket and Rugby ground. York is a fabulous old City to visit. These THS are in all UK regions. We use the THS a lot and you can find them on their website or download an App with all of their permanent Sites plus THS.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    THS I agree Jim a superb idea

Any member including the OP wants an unofficial tour of York happy to help. Never need an excuse to show off my own county !

I love York and the county unashamedly biased !! ....I suspect the OP needs a UK address to join any of the clubs happy to assist and let them use mine.

Visiting England is one thing the spirit and warmth of the North is another ...Why wouldn't we show off our little reservation

God made the world in 7 days after a practise run on the 8 th made Yorkshire complete with the pudding

Do I sound a tad biased

Channa
    Likes izwozral liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Rapido 775F
    "God made the world in 7 days after a practise run on the 8 th made Yorkshire complete with the pudding

Do I sound a tad biased "

Then he got evicted and moved to Northumberland
    Likes channa liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH55 View Post
    "God made the world in 7 days after a practise run on the 8 th made Yorkshire complete with the pudding

Do I sound a tad biased "

Then he got evicted and moved to Northumberland
    Another beautiful county with a stunning coastline ! Pro rata, IMHO Northumbria is possibly Englands most underestimated county

Channa
    Likes jeanette, Justjack, Goggles liked this post

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information